× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FTP user authenticated access issues - Error code 15002040001

pasan
Aspirant

FTP user authenticated access issues - Error code 15002040001

I have enabled FTP access on 2 of my file shares with access permissions Everyone, admin +RW. My understanding is this will allow only authenticated users to access the shares via FTP.

SS00.png

However, when I try to access the shares from a FTP client, I can't login with my user credentials. More alarmingly the FTP server is allowing unauthenticated anonymous R/W access! When I go to settings and check global FTP settings it is showing authentication mode as "Anonymous".

SS01.PNG

So I thought ok well maybe this explains this behaviour and tried to change it. However when I chage the Authenticaiton mode to "User" and click apply, I get the following error - Service operation failed. Cannot start service without volume Code: 15002010001.

SS02.PNG

I am puzzled why this is happening. For starters, FTP access permissions for shares does not even have "anonymous", yet the global settings have an anonymous authentication option which I cannot change.

My desired behaviour is for ReadyNAS to have authenticated FTP access. This shouldn't be this complicated. Please help.

I am on the latest firmware version 6.6.1

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Ki_Adi_Mundi
NETGEAR Expert

Checked the logs, the only clue found is the error log "cannot enable dlna when no volume exists",   I am thinking if there are some settings about ReadyDLNA block the operation.  Can you try  disable ReadyDLNA firstly ?  Then try to edit FTP settings.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 19

All Replies
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pasan,

Welcome to the community.

For now, kindly send in your system logs then reply back here if you have done it so that I can request for our subject matter expert to take a look at it.

How do I send all logs to ReadyNAS Community moderators?

Regards,

Message 2 of 19
pasan
Aspirant

Hi FramerV,

I have emailed my system logs as per the linked instructions.

Hope the subject matter expert can explain the cause of this issue and a solution that won't involve resetting the ReadyNAS and deleting all data on it.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 19
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pasan,

Let me have it checked.

Regards,

Message 4 of 19
pasan
Aspirant

Hi FramerV, any updates after checking my logs?

Message 5 of 19
Ki_Adi_Mundi
NETGEAR Expert

Checked the logs, the only clue found is the error log "cannot enable dlna when no volume exists",   I am thinking if there are some settings about ReadyDLNA block the operation.  Can you try  disable ReadyDLNA firstly ?  Then try to edit FTP settings.

Message 6 of 19
pasan
Aspirant

Ki_Adi_Mundi, after I disabled ReadyDLNA I was able to change the FTP server global settings Authentication to User. But then I was greeted with the same error when I tired to enable ReadyDLNA back again in global settings. However, I was able to go back to the Shares and enable DLNA from the Share settings. It seems there is a bug in the firmware that makes FTP and ReadyDLNA not play together nicely. Hopefully you can fix this in a future firmware update. How do I log a bug report? Thank you.

Message 7 of 19
Ki_Adi_Mundi
NETGEAR Expert

Most likely this is not a generic issue,  I guess the DLNA share checked non-exist volume when enabe by Service page.  Can you disable/enable DLNA in Service page after you enabe it from the share settings ?   if that works then the DLNA settings become good again.

Message 8 of 19
pasan
Aspirant

Unfortunately I still keep getting "Cannot start without volume." error when turning ReadyDLNA OFF & then ON from the Services page. Only way to turn DLNA ON after turning it OFF is from the Shares settings. Recently I removed a 2TB drive and put in a 6TB drive in one of the bays. The bays were in seperate volumes JBOD so I didn't think it would cause any issues and it hasn't. The new drive works fine with the old drive co existing. Maybe this has something to do with this error? Maybe it is looking for the old Volume I pulled out?

Message 9 of 19
Ki_Adi_Mundi
NETGEAR Expert

Seems yes,  are you familiar with linux command and ssh access,  you may check /etc/minidlna.conf and /etc/minidlna.conf.local(if exist) to see if there are non-exist volume configured.

Message 10 of 19
pasan
Aspirant

Yeah, I am moderately competent with Linux. I will SSH in and check that configuration file and comment out any references to old Volumes if they exist. Is admin the super user? Or can I sudo without a root password? Thanks for you help.

Message 11 of 19
Ki_Adi_Mundi
NETGEAR Expert

if SSH is enabled on the Service page,  you can login by root,  the password is your admin password.

Message 12 of 19
pasan
Aspirant

I finally got around to trying what you suggested but ReadyNAS won't allow my to enable the SSH service. I get the same error about missing volume. So after I disabled Ready DLNA I was able to enable SSH and log in. However, /etc/minidlna.conf doesn't have any references to missing volumes. And /etc/minidlna.conf.local doesn't exisit.

Message 13 of 19
pasan
Aspirant

This is my minidlna.conf contents

port=8200
album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/AlbumArt_{*/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg
inotify=yes
enable_tivo=no
notify_interval=900
media_dir=/DISKRIGHT/Video2
media_dir=/DISKRIGHT/Video1
include=/etc/minidlna.conf.local

The two volumes that are there exists and what I have shared at the moment. I don't think the error is stemming from issues in minidlna.conf

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking that video1 and video2 are shares, not volumes (that the volume is DISKRIGHT on your system).

Are you using flexraid?  If so, is the volume named DISKRIGHT?

Also, does the hidden folder /apps/.readydlna exist?

Message 15 of 19
pasan
Aspirant

You're right. DISKRIGHT is one Volume (physical hard drive) and Video1 & Video2 are two shares within that volume.

I am using RAID(JBOD) with 2 seperate volumes for each hard drive.

Yes, the folder /apps/.readydlna exists. Content below:

root@nas:/apps/.readydlna# ls -hal
total 5.2M
drwxr-xr-t 3 root root 4.0K Apr  5 13:53 .
drwxrwxrwx 4 root root 4.0K Apr  6 13:43 ..
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K Apr  5 13:53 art_cache
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5.2M Apr  6 13:48 files.db

Message 16 of 19
pasan
Aspirant

Just to give a bit of history, when I first setup the NAS I set up 2x2TB drives in RAID(JBOD) with Volumes DISKL & DISKR for the two disks. After a wile I started running out of space and wanted to upgrade one drive with a 6TB and move the old drive to my PC with the data.

What I did was I pulled out DISKR (right bay) -> put new 6TB hard drive (DISKRIGHT) in -> Copy remaining DISKL data to new DISKRIGHT -> Pull DISKL out and put it into my desktop Windows PC and format -> Copy DISKL data now temporarily copied to new DISKRIGHT over the network from NAS to PC -> Put temporarily removed DISKR back in where DISKL was (left bay) -> Empty DISKRIGHT (right bay) temporary data.

So now I have two volumes DISKR (I would rename this DISKLEFT if I could rename a volume without destroying its data) and DISKRIGHT with the initial 2TB DISKL now residing in my desktop. It could be that the ReadyDLNA server is now confused because DISKR went from being in the right bay to the left bay or even the fact that right bay volume changed from DISKR to DISKRIGHT. I'm sure it's just a matter of just re-initialising some config files.

Message 17 of 19
Ki_Adi_Mundi
NETGEAR Expert

Checked your logs again, seems your /apps not mounted to a volume,  it's on root which may fill out OS,  you can check by "df -h". 

Check /lib/systemd/system/apps.mount and /lib/systemd/system/home.mount, it may point to DISKL.  

Message 18 of 19
pasan
Aspirant

Seems that was the case. When I checked apps.mount and home.mount it had the following references to DISKL

apps.mount
[Unit]
Description=Apps Directory
After=local-fs.target
Before=multi-user.target

[Mount]
What=/DISKL/.apps
Where=/apps
Type=none
Options=bind

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

My home folder was on DISKR and edited the 2 files to reflect that and that has fixed the error now.

apps.mount
[Unit]
Description=Apps Directory
After=local-fs.target
Before=multi-user.target

[Mount]
What=/DISKR/.apps
Where=/apps
Type=none
Options=bind

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Thank you for being patient with me and sorting out this problem!

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements