× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Factory Reset not working using sys button

KanORS
Aspirant

Factory Reset not working using sys button

Hi Netgear,

I'm trying to Factory Reset my ReadyNASRNRX4000 but nothing will happen when i pressing the sys button in the front panel.

I'd pressed about 10-15 minutes continously of SYS button.

Can anyone help me to overcome this problem.

Model: ReadyNAS RNRX4000|ReadyNAS 2100 Chassis only
Message 1 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 2 of 16
KanORS
Aspirant

Yes I did, but after pressing the SYS button for about 10-15 minutes no LEDs lit up, nothing happens.

Message 3 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you pressed and held the SYS button

Briefly pressed the power button to turn the NAS on

Continued to hold the SYS button?

That could suggest that the SYS button might be faulty.

If you remove the disks from your NAS, wipe the partitions off it (don’t format, delete the partitions) and put the disks back in the NAS this will trigger a factory reset.

Message 4 of 16
KanORS
Aspirant

Thanks for your quick response.

I have added hard disk into my ReadyNAS after deletion the partitions.

Can you tell me any sign of factory resetting, or it's runing under the process of factory resetting?

How much time normally will take in factory reset.

Message 5 of 16
KanORS
Aspirant

Hi Netgear,

Nothing had happenned when i was tried to factory resetting my ReadyNAS. Could you help me?

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

If the disk(s) had no partitions, then powering up with them inserted should have automatically started the factory reset.

Is RAIDar finding the NAS?  If so, what status is it reporting?

Also, what firmware is the NAS running, and what model disks (including size) are you using?

Message 7 of 16
KanORS
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

The RAIDar software is unable to find the NAS device.

The NAS firmware is 4.2.31 and HDD is 3TB Seagate (ST33000651AS).

Only Act and LAN LED's light up, and I think factory reset was not triggered.

Originally, I had two disks in RAID-1 configuration but by mistake I added another disk to it (I wanted to add it to my other NAS device that was placed below it) and the device switched to RAID-5 (X-RAID was ON) and later I removed the third disk but the device did not return to RAID-1.

Then I downgraded my OS from 4.2.31 to 4.2.30 (device was working fine) and later upgraded to 4.2.31 again and after upgrading, the device restarted but never turned ON.

Message 8 of 16
dijkm88
Aspirant

Are you sure it was not updating the firmware before you removed the power / unplugged the 3rd drive you inserted?

Can you try and power it without any discs inserted into the NAS? And see if you get a response from RAIDar then?

Message 9 of 16
KanORS
Aspirant

Hi dijkm88,

Third drive insert and remove incident changed RAID 1 to RAID 5 only, it was working well after that.

After a week later i downgraded my NAS OS from 4.2.31 to 4.2.30 and it was working well after that. I downgraded OS because i read somewhere on forum that RAID would re-configure itself (in hope to switch back to RAID-1). After couple of days later when there was no change in RAID configuration on OS 4.2.30, i upgraded it back to 4.2.31.

I tried to power ON the device without any disks but it does not show up in RAIDar. I also tried after deleting all partitions but no luck.

When I connect these disks to my linux-box, I see NAS was unable to write anything or create partitons on both disks.

Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@KanORS wrote:

After a week later i downgraded my NAS OS from 4.2.31 to 4.2.30 and it was working well after that. I downgraded OS because i read somewhere on forum that RAID would re-configure itself (in hope to switch back to RAID-1).

Not sure what you read, but you must have misunderstood it.  The only way to shift back to RAID-1 is to do a factory reset with the two drives in place and then restore the data from backup.

@KanORS wrote:

I tried to power ON the device without any disks but it does not show up in RAIDar. I also tried after deleting all partitions but no luck.

When I connect these disks to my linux-box, I see NAS was unable to write anything or create partitons on both disks.

And you aren't seeing "no disks" on the LCD panel, correct?

Did you attempt any other interventions (USB recovery perhaps?)

Message 11 of 16
KanORS
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:
And you aren't seeing "no disks" on the LCD panel, correct? 

I have ReadyNAS 2100 V1 and it doesn't have LCD panel, but the LED for disk does not light up when I add disks to the device.

@StephenB wrote:

Did you attempt any other interventions (USB recovery perhaps?) 

I also tried usb recovery, but again LED for usb does not light up and seems that it fails to read the usb device.

The device seems to be able to light up the ACT and LAN led only, and all other led never light up, nor any buttons seem to work other        than the power button.

Message 12 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

@KanORS wrote:

I have ReadyNAS 2100 V1 and it doesn't have LCD panel, but the LED for disk does not light up when I add disks to the device.

What does RAIDar report with and without drives installed?

Message 13 of 16
KanORS
Aspirant

Sandshark wrote: 

What does RAIDar report with and without drives installed?

RAIDar is unable to find my ReadyNAS device with and without drives.

Message 14 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Given that and the fact that a USB recovery won't work, I think your NAS is beyond resurrection.

Message 15 of 16
KanORS
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements