× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fail power supply RND4000v3

gper56
Aspirant

Fail power supply RND4000v3

The power supply has failed on my RND4000v3 and is out of warranty.  Where may I get a replacment power supply?

https://www.overtek.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/netgear-readynas-power-supply-psu-replaceme...  is a possibility but they appear to out of business.  Any other leads appreciated.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Fail power supply RND4000v3

The Flex ATX (aka mini ITX) supply is the right size for internal replacement (150 x 80 x 40 mm). They are common supplies for 1-up rack mount devices and some small form factor desktops.  You'll want to get one that has only one 12V bus with at least 7A so that you have sufficient 12V for the 4 drives.  Most 150W to 200W supplies will have that.  Anything 250W and above will likely have two 12V busses.  You cannot buy one with two 12V busses and tie them together, it won't regulate properly.  You can either pull and swap the pins or cut and splice the wires.  The 2x2 connector for CPU power has the necessary extra 12V wires.   A set of tweezers will work in a pinch to help in removing the pins.  If you were doing it often, you'd want the tool made for it, but tweezers worked for me to hold down the locking tabs for a one-time thing.  A couple of jewler's screwdrivers might work, too.

Note that some HP server versions use yet another pin-out and additional pin swaps would be needed with one of them.  Dell uses a mini version of the connector, but most supplies have the standard and an adapter.

I saw a few on eBay.au, though they do ship from the USA.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

how about this at amazon UK? 

Message 2 of 8
storm1985
Prodigy

@gper56 I saw my notification that you replied but I cant see your msg. 😞

Message 3 of 8
gper56
Aspirant

Thanks. It looks like the correct power supply. Much appreciated as the UK Amazon site was not coming up when searching in Australia.

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

This is a readyNAS NV+ correct (just posted in the wrong forum)?  Let me know, we probably should move the thread.

There are some cheaper options if you are prepared to modify the cable pinout.  Here's a recent thread you might check: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Hardware-Compatibility/Replacement-power-supply-who-sells-...

Message 5 of 8
gper56
Aspirant

Yes posted in the wrong forum by mistake. I have no idea how I got to that forum

I have seen the posts about repinning another supply but would prefer to keep the power internal to the unit to reduce desktop clutter.

Please move as required.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@gper56 wrote:

Yes posted in the wrong forum by mistake. I have no idea how I got to that forum

I have seen the posts about repinning another supply but would prefer to keep the power internal to the unit to reduce desktop clutter.

Please move as required.

If you get a suitable itx supply you can still keep the psu internal to the unit.  If you want feedback on a particular supply, I suggest consulting @Sandshark (PM him if if he doesn't respond to a public post).

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

The Flex ATX (aka mini ITX) supply is the right size for internal replacement (150 x 80 x 40 mm). They are common supplies for 1-up rack mount devices and some small form factor desktops.  You'll want to get one that has only one 12V bus with at least 7A so that you have sufficient 12V for the 4 drives.  Most 150W to 200W supplies will have that.  Anything 250W and above will likely have two 12V busses.  You cannot buy one with two 12V busses and tie them together, it won't regulate properly.  You can either pull and swap the pins or cut and splice the wires.  The 2x2 connector for CPU power has the necessary extra 12V wires.   A set of tweezers will work in a pinch to help in removing the pins.  If you were doing it often, you'd want the tool made for it, but tweezers worked for me to hold down the locking tabs for a one-time thing.  A couple of jewler's screwdrivers might work, too.

Note that some HP server versions use yet another pin-out and additional pin swaps would be needed with one of them.  Dell uses a mini version of the connector, but most supplies have the standard and an adapter.

I saw a few on eBay.au, though they do ship from the USA.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements