× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failed 6.9.3 upgrade RN516

DrKov
Aspirant

Failed 6.9.3 upgrade RN516

Hi, 

Attempted an upgrade from 6.9.2 -> 6.9.3, got "ERR: could not properly extract.." Tried re-install OS, USB-Recover but no success. 

Root partition has plenty of space... Unit is used for backing up some servers, spent lots of time setting everything up so would really like to avoid factory reset, please help.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Failed 6.9.3 upgrade RN516

For some reason the immutable bit was set on /bin and /etc/crontab and /lib. This prevented the extraction from happening. After removing the immutable bit on those the extraction ran fine.

I've replied to your PM.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@DrKov wrote:

Tried re-install OS, USB-Recover but no success. 

USB recovery isn't appropriate for this.

Were you using check-for-updates from the web ui, or were you doing a manual update from system->settings?  If the latter, did you install the zip file, or did you extract the image, and install that?

Message 2 of 7
DrKov
Aspirant

Thanks, 

I started with checking for updates through the web gui, rebooted and that's when I got the problem. 

Logged in via ssh and tried touch /.os_update, same result, then I uploaded latest firmware to /tmp and tried updating from that one, same result. 

I can mount md127 and see all data, but no access to frontview. 

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That error need not necessarily mean that the root volume is very full.

It could mean that you've made modifications using SSH that prevent the proper installation of a firmware update. I can easily check to see if this is the case if you like.

Message 4 of 7
DrKov
Aspirant

Thanks, 

I did some modifications awhile ago when my NAS got hacked, don't remember exactly the steps I took to clean it. I had SSH open in my firewall, which was stupid. Sent you PM. 

Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For some reason the immutable bit was set on /bin and /etc/crontab and /lib. This prevented the extraction from happening. After removing the immutable bit on those the extraction ran fine.

I've replied to your PM.

Message 6 of 7
DrKov
Aspirant

Everything fixed now thanks to the superb mdgm! Thanks again!
@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

I've replied to your PM.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements