× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Failed Disk ReadyNAS 312?

Einevik
Aspirant

Failed Disk ReadyNAS 312?

I guess one of my disks Have crashed? Is there any way to verify it? I pulled it out and back in again but the status did not change and the disk wont show up. 

I have never done a hot swap bofore but is it only to buy a ned HDD of the same size (or larger) and replaced the old crashed one? (Im thinking of uppgrading to 6TB while I'm changing the disk out anyway)

Will it automatically copy everything to the new disk?

Can I then replace the other old disk with a new larger one as whell when the first new disk is copied?

Skärmavbild 2021-08-22 kl. 21.00.02.png

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Einevik wrote:

When reading the specs of the ReadyNAS 312 I concluded that the largest disk size was 6TB is this correct?

No.  There is no known size limit, and you can use 18 TB drives (largest SATA drives currently on the market) if you want.  Netgear has tested disks up to 16 TB.  

I recommend either Seagate Ironwolf, WD Red Plus, or enterprise class disks.  Avoid WD Reds, and desktop drives.  WD Reds use SMR technology, which doesn't work well with ReadyNAS (and many 6 TB desktop drives are also SMR),

@Einevik wrote:

Is there any way to verify it?

You can connect the disk to a Windows PC, and use vendor tools (Seatools or WD's Lifeguard/Dashboard) to test it.  You'd connect the disk using either a USB adapter/dock or with SATA directly.  Windows can't mount the disk (wrong file system), but the tools should still find it, and let you test it.

@Einevik wrote:

(Im thinking of uppgrading to 6TB while I'm changing the disk out anyway)

Can I then replace the other old disk with a new larger one as whell when the first new disk is copied?

It will automatically resync when you hot-insert the new disk.  Wait for that to complete before hot-inserting the second one.

Netgear recommends that you make sure you have an up to date backup before doing this (FWIW, I also recommend that).

You might find it more cost effective in the long run to upgrade to a larger drive (perhaps 8 TB).  Though that does depend on how quickly your storage needs grow.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Einevik
Aspirant

I can't see the image I uploaded in the question but I guess it need some moderator approval or something?

When reading the specs of the ReadyNAS 312 I concluded that the largest disk size was 6TB is this correct?

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Einevik wrote:

No.  There is no known size limit, and you can use 18 TB drives (largest SATA drives currently on the market) if you want.  Netgear has tested disks up to 16 TB.  

I recommend either Seagate Ironwolf, WD Red Plus, or enterprise class disks.  Avoid WD Reds, and desktop drives.  WD Reds use SMR technology, which doesn't work well with ReadyNAS (and many 6 TB desktop drives are also SMR),

@Einevik wrote:

Is there any way to verify it?

You can connect the disk to a Windows PC, and use vendor tools (Seatools or WD's Lifeguard/Dashboard) to test it.  You'd connect the disk using either a USB adapter/dock or with SATA directly.  Windows can't mount the disk (wrong file system), but the tools should still find it, and let you test it.

@Einevik wrote:

(Im thinking of uppgrading to 6TB while I'm changing the disk out anyway)

It will automatically resync when you hot-insert the new disk.  Wait for that to complete before hot-inserting the second one.

Netgear recommends that you make sure you have an up to date backup before doing this (FWIW, I also recommend that).

You might find it more cost effective in the long run to upgrade to a larger drive (perhaps 8 TB).  Though that does depend on how quickly your storage needs grow.

Message 3 of 4
Einevik
Aspirant

Thank you! this was really helpfull!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements