× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failed Disk?

jimbobin
Aspirant

Failed Disk?

Hi All,

I wonder if you can help please.  I am running a ReadyNas NV+ with RAIDator 4.1.14, the unit has 1gb of RAM and 4 hard drives eaching being 2tb. They form i large RAID drive.

The unit has been running fine for a long time until a power down, and since the unit does not come back up.

In order to try to get the unit back up and running I have:

- completed a Memory Test

- Reinstalled the OS

- Booted from USB and reloaded the firmware 4.1.14

Currenty the unit boots and gets stuck on a Quota Check at 16.2% - it seems to just hang and stop.  At one point it was getting to 62%ish and hanging.

I've now done a boot without file system check, and Disk 1 seems to be re-syncing.

My current issues is that the logs show:

Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon.

Any ideas on the next steps??

I have spare disks at the ready.

Many Thanks

James

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Failed Disk?

Can you post the SMART data?

Is the data accessible?  If  so, make/update your backup.

Message 2 of 6
jimbobin
Aspirant

Yes, I have been fighting with the unit for a little while.  I was able to get into the web interface, however I can't the moment.

Currently the screen is showing Resyncing Volume, with the the Disk 1 light on. - Disk 2,3 and 4 lights are off.

Power light is pulsating

RAIDar finds the unit and reports that everything is OK i.e. File system check, 100% all ights are green.

Currently I'm in two minds, should i rely on what information is on the screen and ligths or what RAIDar has told me.

Should I leave the unit alone over night to see if it completes it's resync or try to shut it down/restart?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Can you get into the NAS with windows file explorer?  

Message 4 of 6
jimbobin
Aspirant

So currently:

I came back to the unit this morning:

- All disk lights were off

- Act was flashing sometimes

- power light pulsating

- display showed IP address and 'Rersyncing Volume'

Couldn't access the unit via web browser or file explorer, so I pressed the power button to shut it down and waiting. Fan turned off, seem to have shut down but display was still active.

I powered the unit on again using the power button.

I think disk 4 is on the way out. I got a meesage a while ago to say there was a growing number of errors on the disk.  At the moment inthe resync, disk 1 is flashing and disk 2,3 and 4 are solid.

Sometimes disk 4 flashes really quickly, all disk lights go out and then back to disk 1 is flashing and disk 2,3 and 4 are solid.

I guess my issue now is - disk 1 is syncing but i need to replace disk 4.

I don't have a backup

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It sounds like you should contact support then. This sounds like a situation where it's important to proceed carefully. If one disk is out of sync with the other disks and another is failing. You should contact support ASAP.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements