× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Failed Hard Drive Upgrade

AKLGUY
Apprentice

Failed Hard Drive Upgrade

Hi Team.

I have an RN316 slowly built it up to have 6x 3TB Drives. (started with 3)

Then I have slowly replaced the 3TB drives with 8TB Drives (one at a time)

For a while I was running fine on 3x 8TB and 3x 8TB

But I need some more so I replaced the 3TB in bay 4 with an 8TB all of a sudden I lost Free space, the Nas went read only

I done a restart and all the bays went Red and it said I had no data left on the drive and all the attempts to get into the NAS failed, said my password was wrong and I was getting locked out. I factory reset my NAS and tryng a new set up and it is still saying I only have 13.62 TB of Free Space (while it is in resyncing) 

I am running the latest Firmware

and having Raid 5 with X-Raid

Any suggestions I can try?Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 12.13.52 AM.png238700694_10165724849960048_6148331866657452541_n.jpg

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

Failed to expand volume with disk Model: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 from Channel 5. Volume requires drive capacity to be the same size or larger before volume expansion can begin.

Does the System to really want me to replace the last 2  3TB bays with 8TB I wonder?

Note it was telling you it can't expand the volume (which is true).  Though it is a confusing message to get on a disk replacement.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 24

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

it is still saying I only have 13.62 TB of Free Space (while it is in resyncing) 

Any suggestions I can try?

Just wait for it.

Your volume will have two RAID groups - 6x3TB RAID-5, and then a 4x5TB RAID-5 group to cover the "extra" space on the 8 TB drives.  These are concatenated together to make a single volume.

The system is creating the 6x3TB group now - that has a 15 TB (~13.6 TiB) capacity.  When that is synced, it will start on the second group, and you'll see the size increase to the full 30 TB (~27.2 TiB) capacity.

Message 2 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

I have finished the Resync, and started to put my content back but when I now look at the NAS Bay 4 is Red (steady) It is still showing as ok here. I am doing a disc check now but the numbers are correct arent they for what I should have (raid 5 X-Raid) The only difference is the 8TB in by for is a WD Red Plus (7200 RPM) while the others are 8TB Red at 5400
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 5.41.31 PM.png

Message 3 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

but the numbers are correct arent they for what I should have (raid 5 X-Raid) The only difference is the 8TB in by for is a WD Red Plus (7200 RPM) while the others are 8TB Red at 5400

The volume size is correct.  

Message 4 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Thanks but there is a red light on the NAS drive bay(sorry I wasn’t clear above)
Message 5 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

The Disc check on the NAS said Drive 4 failed. Do I guess I order a new drive and get this replaced
Message 6 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:
The Disc check on the NAS said Drive 4 failed. Do I guess I order a new drive and get this replaced

This is the drive you just purchased, correct?  If so, you should be able to exchange it with the seller.  The vendor warranty generally gives you a recertified drive with a one-year warranty, the seller should give you a new one.

If it's not new, then start by checking the warranty status at the vendor's website.  That will require the serial number.

Message 7 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Sadly none in the country at the moment.
The red light on the nas shows bay4 but the disc check actually said bay5 is faulty could the red light still mean it is trying to resync even though the OS and the web GUI says it’s finished?
Message 8 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:
 but the disc check actually said bay5 is faulty could the red light still mean it is trying to resync even though the OS and the web GUI says it’s finished?

What are you seeing on the graphic on the volume page?

I'd be more inclined to trust the OS log, but probably you should test both in a Windows PC.  

Message 9 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

I kinda dont want to shut it down again at the moment I dont want to have to do a recovery again I had it return a drive I borrow to do half my backup So if it goes down again  I will lose more  data which I will need to re sourceMediaMedia

Message 10 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

I'd be more inclined to trust the OS log, but probably you should test both in a Windows PC.  

The error in the log does say the following:

Volume: Disk test failed on disk in channel 5, model WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0, serial

Message 11 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

What are you seeing on the graphic on the volume page?

Sorry the pict is not uploading I am on a mac at the moment see message 3 it is the same but there is now more data back on the volume

Message 12 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

I kinda dont want to shut it down again at the moment I dont want to have to do a recovery again 

Ignoring a failed drive warning is a bad idea. 

The challenge here is that you are seeing inconsistent symptoms:

• volume tab showing normal status, and nothing degraded
  • led showing disk 5
  • disk test showing disk 4

Disk 4 is new, and can still be exhanged with the seller (though it might take a while to get it).

You should still have at least one 3 TB drive on hand, since you just upgraded.

Either way, you don't want to replace disks until it is clear what is going on.  Powering down, testing, reinserting disks, powering up shouldn't require another resync.  Though there is some risk that the system will fail to shutdown cleanly (resulting in an out-of-sync array) or that it will detect a failure on power up (giving you a degraded volume warning). You could also download the log zip file, and look for disk errors in system.log and kernel.log. Normally disk 4 would be sdd and disk 5 would be sde.

@AKLGUY wrote:

I had it return a drive I borrow to do half my backup So if it goes down again  I will lose more  data

You should consider investing in back up, as it is the best way to avoid data loss.

Message 13 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:
The error in the log does say the following: Volume: Disk test failed on disk in channel 5, model WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

Ok, so the only issue is that the volume page isn't reflecting the failed disk status.

Maybe test the 3 TB disk you just removed in a Windows PC, and if that passes you can hot-swap the failed drive.

I suggest Lifeguard (I find it gives a bit more information than the Digital Dashboard).  Start with the long generic test, and if that passes try running the full write zeros test.

Message 14 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Thanks again Stephen.
So my plan of attack is test the old bay4 3TB in a windows pc. If passes. Zero data, Put in bay5then allow for resync?
Now just to double check here it is bays 1-6 right and not bays 0,1,2,3,4,5 right?
Message 15 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

So my plan of attack is test the old bay4 3TB in a windows pc. If passes. Zero data, Put in bay5then allow for resync?
Now just to double check here it is bays 1-6 right and not bays 0,1,2,3,4,5 right?

Yes, that is the right process. The disk test definitely uses 1-6 numbering. 

It's an important question though, as some linux errors do use 0-5, and it is really important to identify the correct disk.

Message 16 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Just finished testing the old bay 4 drive and it passed so Zeroed the data.

Placed it in Bay 5 (which Readynas said had failed) Both old 4 and the bay 5 drives were  3TB Red Drives.

(Previous) Bay 5- WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

Old Bay 4 now in Bay 5 WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

This is the error message I got right before it said it was starting the resync

Failed to expand volume with disk Model: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 from Channel 5. Volume requires drive capacity to be the same size or larger before volume expansion can begin.

Does the System to really want me to replace the last 2  3TB bays with 8TB I wonder?

Message 17 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

**Update. The previous bay 5 drive.. Too many bad sectors..

Checked the warranty status.. out by 1 month.. still checking with the shop though to see if I can get something done.

Message 18 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

Note it was telling you it can't expand the volume (which is true).  Though it is a confusing message to get on a disk replacement.

Message 19 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

The new bay 3TB (old one from bay 4) has gone in to bay 5 and the Resync has been completed still have a red iight on bay 4 (on the nas) still green on the OS, doing another disk check.

Message 20 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Thank you for your help StephenB.

A disc check on the NAS passed once I replaced the drive with bad sectos (although the light in the bay was still red)

I done a restart. Now for what ever reason I can not access the NAS via SMB w10 or Mac OS. It is not showing up on Network Locations, on both. I can still access it via a web browser.

And it has appeared bia AFP on my Mac

But if I go to \\IPADDRESS\ I get the 0x80004005 error.

I can ping it as well

I ahve checked the SMB settings I ahve not changed anything there.

SMB Transport Encryption is set to Enabled

Strict Sync is on

When I do the Windows Diagnotics it is saying the NAS is refusing SMB connections

Message 21 of 24
StephenB
Guru

What status is RAIDar giving you?

Message 22 of 24
AKLGUY
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

Its Healthy.

I can access the admin page via a browser just no access to SMB which I could before the reboot of the NAS. 

Message 23 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Its Healthy.

I can access the admin page via a browser just no access to SMB which I could before the reboot of the NAS. 

Maybe try rebooting again.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements