× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Failed disk

Laserbait
Luminary

Failed disk

Hello all,

I have a RN316 with a EDA500.  There are 2 volumes, one on the RN316 and one on the EDA500.

I had a disk fail in the RN316, and I would like to take a disk out of the EDA500 and put in the RN316 to rebuild the array.   All disks are Seagate ST4000DM000's.  The data on the EDA500 is easily replaceable, and the data on the RN316 is more precious (I have backups for everything).

If I wanted to just pull a disk from the EDA500,can I drop it in to the 316 directly and have it rebuild, or do I need to prep the disk somehow? I won't be able to pick up a replacement disk for about a week, so this would be help.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Laserbait

Not really sure if the system will recognize the drive as part of the EDA500 volume. IMO it would be best to reformat the drive before using it or destroy the volume on the EDA500 and then use it to replace the failed drive.

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Laserbait

Not really sure if the system will recognize the drive as part of the EDA500 volume. IMO it would be best to reformat the drive before using it or destroy the volume on the EDA500 and then use it to replace the failed drive.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I agree you shouldn't just move it.

Instead try connecting it to a PC first - either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock.  Ideally you'd unformat it (deleting the partitions in windows disk manager, or zeroing the disk with seatools).  You could reformat it instead - and then reformat it again when you put it in the NAS.

But given the glacial "speed" of resyncing a EDA500 array, I'd get a new disk for the NAS instead.  But don't get a DM drive (many of the newer ones have changed over to SMR).  Instead get an Ironwolf. 

Message 3 of 5
Laserbait
Luminary

Thanks all,

Because the data on the EDA500 is trivial , I yanked one of the EDA500 disks, and deleted the partitions from a windows box.  I dropped it into the RN316, and it started rebuilding right away.

I'll be getting 2 Ironwolf drives next week, one for a replacement into the EDA500, and one as a cold spare for the next one that fails. 🙂

This is another instance where being able to move a share (and it's settings) between volumes would be a very useful.  I'd also love to be able to convert from RAID 5 to RAID 6 without having to nuke the volumes first.

Message 4 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

@Laserbait wrote:

Thanks all,

This is another instance where being able to move a share (and it's settings) between volumes would be a very useful.  I'd also love to be able to convert from RAID 5 to RAID 6 without having to nuke the volumes first.

I wonder if you can create a ReadyDR backup to another volume (using IP address of 127.0.0.1 as the destination) and then clone that?  I may have to put that on my list of experiments to try.

As to converting RAID5 to RAID6, you can, if you have an empty slot.  Otherwise, it reduces the volume size, and ReadyNASOS does not support any volume size reductions, likely because there are just too many variables.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements