× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failed update from 4.2.31 to 6.10.0, Boot Menu unavailable, 4.2 USB recovery not working in Win10

Grizzi
Aspirant

Failed update from 4.2.31 to 6.10.0, Boot Menu unavailable, 4.2 USB recovery not working in Win10

Hi,

Just did, what seemed to be, a successful update of my Ultra 6 from 4.2.31, to 6.10.0 (Hotfix 2). After completing the update (OS 6 seemed to be running just fine) i did a manual shutdown of the NAS to add all my drives (only had 1 drive in for the installation). When i added 3 drives back to the NAS it failed the boot process and is not stuck at "ReadyNas".

I am not able to access the bootmenu, via Reset + Power.

I suspect it has happened because the 3 drives i added was part of my original X-Raid aray from my 4.2.31 installation, and that this somehow corrupted the installation on the one drive i had installed (which was also part of the same aray).

As i am not able to access the boot menu, i assumed that a USB restore is the only way. But it would seem that the USB 4.2 Recovery tool is so old that it can't run from Windows 10, and i got no older OS on hand - i understand that process here would be to use the old USB tool with a renamed img file of the latest 6.10.0.

Anyone with some good ideas how to proceed here?

Model: RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Re: Failed update from 4.2.31 to 6.10.0, Boot Menu unavailable, 4.2 USB recovery not working in Win1

Realized i was missing MV C++ 2005 to run the Recovery tool. Created 5 different USB sticks now, all of different ages and within the size, fat32 etc. but can't get any of them to work with Backup + Power... bad luck with USB sticks or potentially another issues (considering i am not able to access the Boot Menu either)?

Message 2 of 40
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: Failed update from 4.2.31 to 6.10.0, Boot Menu unavailable, 4.2 USB recovery not working in Win1

Sounds like probably a bad disk (or not properly inserted) not a problem with the internal flash.

USB Boot Recovery shouldn’t be run unless reasonable steps are taken first to confirm the problem is likely with that as USB Boot Recovery does have a likely side effect.
Message 3 of 40
Icewaterhot
NETGEAR Employee

Message 4 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

To add to this, i did replace the memory at about the same time as i did the update - yes this was likely a bad move as it could now be 2 or more issues.

I did run a memory test for a few cycles with no issues, and did boot up in 4.2.31 for a few hours, and there were no issues.

However, i did also have to take out the mobo do replace the memory, which ofc means disconnection the HD extension board, so hopefully i have not done some damage to this (i.e. some issues with the discs).

I did test the disc i am using in my other computer (WD Reds), and there seems to be no issue. Also swapped it with another WD red, and get same problem.

I also swapped memory back again the original, to test, but it didn't make a difference, so i am back to the new memory.

Message 5 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Hi,

USB recovery for OS 6 would not work, as this is a legacy device. So based on what i am reading, if i need to do USB recovery, i need to use the 4.2 method, which i did get running, but it is not booting from the USB, which i bet it tied to the same issue with not being able to boot to the boot menu either.

Message 6 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

okay, so I just swapped back to original memory and added 1 drive that have never seen the NAS before and ensured that it is 100% connected (to what i can see).

Unfortunately the issue still remains.

One note, i assume that the reset button should actually reset the NAS (never had use for it in the past). But it is not doing that during boot, as well as not reacting to the procedure for accessing the boot menu.

If it is helpful. For the upgrade process to OS6 i followed the guided procedure. "Update" with the PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86 FW, followed by R4toR6_6.9.5. After this i updated to 6.10.0 from within OS6, and it automatically applied 2 hotfixes. Then i did a shutdown from OS6, and added my 3 additional drives and booted up, and here the problems began.

The originally installed drive was part of the X-raid aray from my old 4.2 install, but it worked fine for installation as JBOD, but i assume the disc was "broken" when the 4/6th of the original aray was added to the NAS.

The flash memory is not touched during a 4.2 to 6.x update?

Message 7 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Grizzi wrote:

The flash memory is not touched during a 4.2 to 6.x update?

The flash memory is certainly updated as part of the update procedure. But this looks like a disk-related problem (since your initial install with OS 6 went fine).  Though I'm not sure you've completely ruled out memory.

Can you try removing all the disks, and see if the boot menu is available?  Maybe also review the instructions on how to access it in the hardware manual ( http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p... )

Also, perhaps try again with your initial disk - if you remove the partitions or zero it in a PC, then you can try a factory install w/o the boot menu.

Message 8 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Removed the disc, still can't access boot menu (i did mem test from boot menu yesterday, before updating to OS 6, so i know how to access).

For the memory, i have reinstalled the original memory, and i tried running them in both channels, no change.

After the initial issue, i did delete all partitions from my NAS drives, to fully unallocated state. Not sure how i can do a non boot menu based factory reset? via Raidar i assume but here comes another issue.

I also just noticed that there is no LAN connection (tried with other cables as well). So Raider (legacy and for OS 6) doesn't find the NAS.

Another note, when i added the drives to my regular PC, my 2 WD Reds behaved fine. But my 4 Samsung HD203WIs kicked up Smart Errors and would not let me boot (i checked Smart from the NAS in 4.2, i will swap 2 drives later, to replace the "worst" ones, but none of them had any particular issues). I was able to mount the drives with no issues, in via USB 3.1 and delete the partitions.

Also adding the 4 Samsung drives via regular Sata, gave some minor clicking sounds, but nothing from the USB enclosure. After removing partitions they are still doing this.

I am using the WD reds for the primary install and not the Samsungs (and as i mentioned i did try with a completely new, to the NAS, HD for testing).

When NAS is trying to boot, it does spin up the drive that is installed, and both PSU and CPU fan is running.

Message 9 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Grizzi wrote:

I also just noticed that there is no LAN connection (tried with other cables as well). So Raider (legacy and for OS 6) doesn't find the NAS.

This is with all disks removed?

Message 10 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Yes and for both versions of Raidar

Message 11 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Grizzi wrote:

Yes and for both versions of Raidar

Ok.  Then either something did go wrong with the flash, or something else failed in the chassis (coincidently to the upgrade).

Unfortunately I don't see great options if you can't use the boot menu.  You can attempt to connect a serial connector to the NAS so you can see the console output on bootup.  There is some guidance here: https://gist.github.com/davewongillies/6481138

Message 12 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

If it gets to that it might try it, before i have to get a new NAS:..

However, to do any kind of Seriel connection that NAS needs to have a Seriel port. I goes look like it has an available output but i assume i would have to get the seriel port myself and attach it to the mobo? (i probably have some old extension cards from packaged with old motherboards).

Message 13 of 40
StephenB
Guru

Read the link.  The serial port is already there.

Message 14 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

I promise you there is not native serial port on my Ultra 6, there is a 4 pin com port which is what i assume you are referring to, so I would need something like the below:

https://www.car.gr/parts/view/16998168-cables?lang=en

I think we mean the same thing 🙂

Message 15 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Grizzi wrote:

I think we mean the same thing 🙂

Yes, I am referring to the com port.  Something like this was what I was thinking: https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-WINDOWS-Supported-Raspberry-Programming/dp/B00QT7LQ88

Message 16 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Yep, I already ordered a similar USB to TTL adapter.

Accessing the command line interface is quite new to me, so I am not really sure what I am looking for and the guide you reference only really talk about connecting. Do you have a link to a similar guide or some tips to what I should be troubleshooting for ?
Message 17 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Grizzi wrote:
Accessing the command line interface is quite new to me, so I am not really sure what I am looking for and the guide you reference only really talk about connecting. Do you have a link to a similar guide or some tips to what I should be troubleshooting for ?

Well, in this case the problem is that the boot loader is failing.  So the main thing you'd be doing is capturing the output, and posting it here for Netgear to take a look.  They might have some suggestions on commands they want you to try.

Message 18 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

So, when connection with Putty over Serial to the NAS, i am getting the following garbled data during boot:

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒rR▒▒▒▒o▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒rR▒▒▒▒o▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒rRg▒▒▒o▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒rRggb▒o▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒rRg▒▒▒o▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒rRgfb▒ o▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒rRgY▒▒o▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒rRgeb▒o▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒ o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒▒o▒rRv▒▒

And it basically just continues in loop.

Message 19 of 40
Sandshark
Sensei

That's typical of a wrong baud rate or other TTY parameter.

Message 20 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

So i might have done the wrong Putty setup for Serial access? - my first assumption was wrong connection being the reason for the for the data, but i just followed the guide:

Speed        9600
Data bits    8
Stop bits    1
Parity       None
Flow control XON/XOFF
Message 21 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Grizzi wrote:

i just followed the guide:

Though that was for a different NAS model.

Not sure if these are right, but it's worth a try:

Speed: 115200 baud
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: None
Flow control: None
Message 22 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@Grizzi wrote:

i just followed the guide:

Though that was for a different NAS model.

Not sure if these are right, but it's worth a try:

Speed: 115200 baud
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: None
Flow control: None

Turns out the speed is 9600 baud.  It's in syslinux.cfg in the usb recovery zip.

Message 23 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Not really any wiser to why it just outputs garbled data 😞 incorrect putty setup or simply corrupted boot loader?
Message 24 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

I have managed to progress some but i am still not over the finish line yet 🙂

I tried to do a USB restore again and this time it actually worked... not sure why it didnt before but anyways.

USB 4.2 restore, with the img for OS 6.10 renamed to latest RAIDiator-x86-4.2.31 did it.

The NAS now boots, with that note that it is running FW 6.10, but it is booting in Safe mode, and neither Raidar 4 or Raider 6 is able to find the device.

When i try to us IP based login, i get prompted with the standard certificate error and i am able to provide standard admin//password. But when i land on the OS 6 interface i am getting "Communication error", without any further specification.

I have tried to do OS reinstall from boot menu, didn't change anything. I wanted to do Factory Default, but not able to as Raidar can't find the device.

Any ideas?

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements