× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failed update from 4.2.31 to 6.10.0, Boot Menu unavailable, 4.2 USB recovery not working in Win10

StephenB
Guru

Re: Failed update from 4.2.31 to 6.10.0, Boot Menu unavailable, 4.2 USB recovery not working in Win1

@Grizzi wrote:

I have tried to do OS reinstall from boot menu, didn't change anything. I wanted to do Factory Default, but not able to as Raidar can't find the device.

Try zeroing one of the disks, and power up the NAS with only that disk installed.  That should do a factory install onto that disk.

Message 26 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Re: Failed update from 4.2.31 to 6.10.0, Boot Menu unavailable, 4.2 USB recovery not working in Win1

Just zeroed out the drive and rebooted, but it didn't resolve the issue (it did do a "Firmware update" during boot).

I am still able to ping the device, but get communication error when i try to access via browser, and Raidar doesn't discover the device.

Message 27 of 40
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm not sure why it would matter, but did you try both Ethernet ports on the NAS?

Message 28 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

I actually did, and i have also tried basically all available browser - no change 😐

Message 29 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Interestingly enough if i add the main drive from the NAS back to my PC after it has "installed the OS", it is still just 1 partition. Should i not expect a new partition setup with a small 4gig OS Partition? Maybe the OS have not been properly installed for some reason.

The NAS also still boots into Safe mode, so something is definately wrong.

Message 30 of 40
Sandshark
Sensei

If the drive was zeroed before insertion, then installed alone and initialized, you should have an OS partition, swap partition, and main partition.

Message 31 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Also exactly what i would expect, but i didnt have that last time i checked. I will do a check again in a little while, as i am zeroing out all ouf my other drives and got no open SATA slots for the moment 🙂 (i didn't check the drive again after i zeroed it, only before i did the zeroing).

Message 32 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Just checked the zeroed drive in my PC and it does not have a OS, Swap and Main partition, just 1 large partition. So i guess the OS have not been correctly installed and this could be the reason it is not allowing me to access.

Message 33 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Grizzi wrote:

Just checked the zeroed drive in my PC and it does not have a OS, Swap and Main partition, just 1 large partition. 

Was it zeroed or formatted?

Message 34 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Cmd, format /Fs:ntfs /p:1
- should do it no?
Message 35 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Grizzi wrote:
Cmd, format /Fs:ntfs /p:1
- should do it no?

No, that formats it. 

Perhaps try zeroing it (either with Lifeguard, or Seatools).  The Lifeguard "quick zeros" test is sufficient.  Then it will have no partitions.  Then insert it in to the NAS, and see if the NAS creates any.

Another way to get there is to use the windows disk manager to delete the existing "volume" on the disk.

Message 36 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Great, that got me a step further. After, correctly...., zeroing the HD, the NAS now did a correct Factory reset and intalled OS 6,10. Raidar is now able to detech the NAS, but i am not quite home yet it would seem.

I still get communication error when trying to access, and it would seem that Raidar is not able to recognize the Model and Serial number.

EEPROM corrupted after USB boot recovery?

Message 37 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Grizzi wrote:

EEPROM corrupted after USB boot recovery?

Possibly.  You'll need a mod to help with that (perhaps @JohnCM_S)

Message 38 of 40
Grizzi
Aspirant

Should add the below screenshot to indicate that the Model and Serial is no longer recognizeable. Trying to contact Mods for some help 🙂

Model: RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 39 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@JohnCM_S - is this something you can help with?

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements