× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm) #26821415

Supertramp11
Luminary

Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm) #26821415

Hi,

After having successfully used my ReadyNAS PRO 6 with OS 6.4.2, today I started to received the following allert message: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm).

When going into the Admin, it says Status System Dead.

I rebooted the NAS several times, however the problem persists, i.e. the reason why I opened a support ticket with Netgear Support as my NAS is still under warranty.

Hope there is no need to downgrade to OS 4 .

Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm) #26821415

Seems to be working O.K. since I updated it to 6.5.0. Can you confirm?

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 25

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm)

@Supertramp11 wrote:

Hope there is no need to downgrade to OS 4 .

They might insist.  If they do, I suggest removing the current disks (labeling by slot) and installing a single scratch disk.  Then downgrade (and if you get an RMA then upgrade back to OS6 using the scratch disk)

Message 2 of 25
Supertramp11
Luminary

Thanks for your suggestion, Stephen.

This is an excellent idea!

I will share Netgear's response on my support ticket, once received.

Message 3 of 25
StephenB
Guru

The RMA unit will ship with OS 4, so it will need to be upgraded to OS6 before you migrate your disks.

Message 4 of 25
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

Does the fan physically spin? 

Either way, OS6 on Raidiator 4 units is not officially supported by Netgear, I wouldn't expect getting too much help from the support team.

I think it's something with how it reads the fan sensors, if you boot up OS4 disks in an OS6 unit you will get the same issue, however the fan is physically spinning. 

Message 5 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Danthem wrote:

Either way, OS6 on Raidiator 4 units is not officially supported by Netgear, I wouldn't expect getting too much help from the support team.

If the problem still occurs after downgrading to OS4, support should help.

Message 6 of 25
Supertramp11
Luminary

I just turned the NAS around to check the fans and interestingly the system fan does spin when I start the NAS but then stops once it has gone through its boot process. The smaller fan at the bottom keeps spinning.

Any idea what the cause of this could be?

Message 7 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some users have had success connecting the fan to a different fan port.

You could perhaps try adding the fan details via SSH if your fan is not at the location the system expects.

Message 8 of 25
Supertramp11
Luminary

Thanks MDGM.

As the NAS is still under warranty, I'll wait for Netgear's response to my support ticket. If they want me to reproduce the problem under OS 4, I'll downgrade the unit as described by Stephen earlier.

Thanks again to all.

Message 9 of 25
Supertramp11
Luminary

I got a reply from Netgear Support that they will likely have to replace my NAS and are now asking for the log files and proof of purchase.

It is likely that the replacement will be a refurbished NAS and as I have some reservations about that, I am wondering if I could buy a replacement system fan and install it myself. There are several threats on this forum talking about replacement fans with a varity of brands and models.

Is there a system fan for the PRO 6 you can recommend and would it be easy to install for a not-so-technical person.

...or is it better to use Netgear Support as my NAS has still 2 years of warranty.

Thanks

Message 10 of 25
StephenB
Guru

I'd probably take the RMA myself - anything else would void the remaining warranty.

From posts here, I'd say that most are happy with the RMA's condition.  Some weren't (and IMO had good reason to be unhappy), but Netgear did respond in those cases with a second RMA.

Message 11 of 25
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

Re: Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm) #26821415

I'd probably try downgrading the firmware to 4 first to make sure there really is a hardware issue. There's no point in doing an RMA if the issue is software related.

Message 12 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Danthem wrote:

I'd probably try downgrading the firmware to 4 first to make sure there really is a hardware issue. 

I was assuming that support had confirmed that already.  If not, I agree that is a good next step.

Message 13 of 25
Supertramp11
Luminary

First of all: thanks to all for your replies.

I decided to take your advice to go for an RMA and prepared my NAS to downgrade from OS 6.4.2 to OS 4:

- switched the NAS off

- took out the disks and labeled them with their number

- prepared a scratch disk and put it in the the NAS

- switched the NAS back on which gave an error and told me to go to RAIDar

- after starting RAIDar it told me that the disk needed formatting which I started entering the word DESTROY

- in the next few minutes, it copied the FW.

All of the above happened with both fans spinning relatively fast.

After half an hour the fans have calmed down again - and now the weird part - the system fan spins at the usual speed of 907 rpm !!!

Does anyone have an explanation why with my normal disks, the system fan is dead where now with the scratch disk it works as it did before... all of this using the exact same OS 6.4.2 ???

For now I'm concluding that the system fan is not broken i.e. I don't want to RMA my NAS yet. Thanks for any help.

Message 14 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you provide your logs zip file (either attach them to your case or send them to me)?

Message 15 of 25
Supertramp11
Luminary

Hi mdgm,

Thanks for your support. I sent you the logs.

Message 16 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This would seem to suggest that the NAS is expecting the fan to be somewhere different to where it is on your system. So you might be able to override the sensors config or connect the fan to the sensor it is expected to be at.

Message 17 of 25
Supertramp11
Luminary

Thanks mdgm.

What would the easiest solution for someone not very technical?

Should I physically connect the system fan to a different connector on the motherboard?

Or is there a particular command I need to enter, bearing in mind that I have read posts on this forum talking about ssh-ing into the NAS, but not having done anything like that myself in the past.

What surprises me is that I changed anything besides upgrading to a not supported OS 6, and even doing that, it worked great for a long period of time on both 6.3.5 and 6.4.2.

Message 18 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Depends what you feel most comfortable with attempting.

Message 19 of 25
xjrguy
Aspirant

FYI I have the same problem. In a Ready NAS Pro and a Ready NAS Ultra Plus.

Both machines are running 6.5.0 RC3

Both have exhibited the problem since updating to 6.5.0

I've resolved it in both units by setting the fans to "COOL" and rebooting the boxes.

I will get a couple fan errors and it will then settle down.

I don't think it's your box so I wouldn't RMA if I were you. I did not have to play musical connectors with the fan headers on the board either.

Message 20 of 25
Supertramp11
Luminary

Thanks.

What I don't understand is that OS 6 has been working absolutely great on my PRO 6 and out of the blue, it starts to have this fan problem. Out of the blue since I did nothing with the NAS besides booting it up, streaming music and shutting it down. 

As I have no physical access to the NAS this week, I will downgrade it to OS 4 when I'm home next week. If the problem persists, I will RMA it, if not I guess I have to stay on OS 4 😞

Message 21 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Seems to be working O.K. since I updated it to 6.5.0. Can you confirm?

Message 22 of 25
Supertramp11
Luminary

Thanks mdgm.

Let me confirm this evening when I'm back home and have physical access to the NAS.

It would be great if OS 6.5 resolves this issue.

Assuming it does, can I just remove the scratch disk and put my regular (6.4.2) disks back in the NAS?

Many thanks for your support.

Message 23 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. If you do that it would detect the firmware mismatch and install 6.5 onto the disks.

Message 24 of 25
Supertramp11
Luminary

Hi mdgm,

I can confirm that the fans are working again since you upgraded the NAS to OS 6.5.0. I took the scratch disk out and put my regular disks back into the NAS. All seems fine now so I will close my support case with Netgear.

Many thanks for your support!!!

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements