× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fastest way to move or copy files on the ReadyNAS?

ephemeris
Aspirant

Fastest way to move or copy files on the ReadyNAS?

At our office we sometimes need to do wholesale reorganizing of the contents on our ReadyNASs. Either we

1) Need to copy large directories from one directory to another on the same ReadyNAS
2) Need to move (not copy) large directories to another place on the same ReadyNAS.

Doing either of these via Windows file sharing seems painfully slow. (Presumably the Windows client is copying the files from the ReadyNAS to its local drive over the network and then back to the ReadyNAS over the network.

It's critical for us to get these files moved as quickly as possible when this becomes necessary from time to time.

What is the fastest way for us to approach these tasks? Is there a way to do the rearranging/copying without data being moved over the network?
Message 1 of 12
Dooku1
Aspirant

You could try setting them as back up jobs on the readynas and running them manually.
Message 2 of 12
ephemeris
Aspirant

Ah! I had somehow never noticed that backup allowed you to specify directories within the shares. This is a big help.

Is there anything better than this for my move (not copy) directory question? Sometimes a command line would be handy...
Message 3 of 12
Dooku1
Aspirant

There will be ssh access in radiator 4 but you will need to wait a few weeks before that comes out.
Message 4 of 12
bhoar
Aspirant

Copying large directories will always be relatively slow.

Moving large directories will only be slow if you're moving from one share to another share. If you're moving files within the same share, it should be fast.

With ssh support, and proper training, you can do all moves from the command line very fast. Copies will still be slow, though, though perhaps only 25-50% as slow as they are now.

-brendan
Message 5 of 12
steveninoc
Aspirant

is this possible?

I just bought an ReadyNAS and it's taking a long time to copy files over the network.

Can I pop out the hard drive from my old file server and put that into the ReadyNAS and copy it from there?

Is there a way to do it without having that drive become part of the RAID configuration? Just want it there temporarily to copy data off of.
Message 6 of 12
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Re: is this possible?

steveninoc wrote:

Can I pop out the hard drive from my old file server and put that into the ReadyNAS and copy it from there?

You dont wan tot do that .. those disks will be erased by RAIDiator Operation system once ReadyNAS boot up.

steveninoc wrote:

Is there a way to do it without having that drive become part of the RAID configuration? Just want it there temporarily to copy data off of.

Nope. Basically, any disks that you put into ReadyNAS (that does not belong to any ReadyNAS) will be automatically erase to build the RAID Volume by RAIDiator OS.
Message 7 of 12
atz6975
Guide

ftp is quick (usually) and keeps the copy local
Edit: mistake....only moving...but works(moves) across shares
Sorry.
Message 8 of 12
cclambie
Aspirant

Message 9 of 12
zanduo
Aspirant

I recently bought a ReadyNAS Duo V2 and loaded it with 2x2tb drives. I then took on the task of moving all my media from my external 3tb to it. Since I found out it does not recognize hdd greater than 2tb I'm moving data 1tb at a time via another external 1tb usb 2.0 drive I have.
After starting by copying from one share to another on my computer and realizing this is bringing the file from the usb at the nas back to my computer and then back to the nas, way too slow for the approx 3tb of data I have to move. SSH would be the way...

I have fully updated my NAS firmware to 4.1.10.
I've enabled SSH and installed PHP 5 on my ReadyNas Duo V2

I tried this:
Extplorer addon but it fails every time I try to move or copy a file; checking share permissions, the share should be wide open.....
FileZilla client from my pc and while I can make a SFTP connection and get root access, again, any file move fails. I have to blame this on some sort of access from the FTP to the share but I've checked and double checked and can't figure it out. Same thing with WinSCP client from my pc
Same failure issue with the ExploreBoard addon

Here is what is working for me now:
I make a PuTTY connection to my NAS with root SSH access. I then use the mv command to move a file or directory where I want, ie: Movies.
PuTTY stops responding at that point (it will come back if you leave it open once the move is complete) so you don't really know if it is doing anything, but if I get up and go over to the NAS and external USB both have lights blinking indicating data is being moved.
Then I launch Beyond Compare on my pc and enter the original location on the left and the new NAS location on the right, showing me the files at both locations. I use F5 to refresh the view showing the data growing on the right. A final compare afterwards of another location that contains a full copy of the files I'm moving ensures me all the data has moved entirely as no differences are shown.

Seems crazy this is what I have to do but, I know, but hey it works and pretty flawlessly once you get the hang of it. I know I could probably get WinSCP or the other apps but after trying for so long I've given up...maybe one day I'll give em another crack. If anyone knows what I may have been doing wrong, please do not hesitate to let me know!

Thanks for all the info from this post!

I still don't get why it says the rnd2110 can hold a maximum of 6tb on this page - http://www.netgear.com/home/products/storage/prosumer/rnd2110.aspx#two but come to find out it cannot....someone please update this info or make it more clear...and yes I do see that it says 2x2tb...conflicting info? just seems unclear....
Message 10 of 12
zanduo
Aspirant

forget what I said above...Midnight Commander is just what I was looking for.

Install APT - http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=617
install and configure PuTTy to connect with root SSH access
once logged into PuTTy session type apt-get update (make sure your NAS has an internet connection, not just local network connection)
APT will update
when it is complete type: apt-get install mc
hit Y when it asks if you want to continue
after the install competes, at the prompt type: mc

boom you will see the MC ui and should have mouse control as well. lets you put whatever path on the right and left and move between not to mention showing you real-time progress of files as they move. Great!

Sorry if this is common knowledge but this is all new to me.....
Message 11 of 12
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

This is good information. When this post was here, there were different addons for the sparc units (DuoV1) than what would be in the Arm units (DuoV2). It sounds like you might have the DuoV1 since you were able to get up to 4.1.10?
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements