× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fastest way to restore data from backup after factory reset

HiddenWolf
Aspirant

Fastest way to restore data from backup after factory reset

I am preparing to do a factory reset of my Readynas Pro, as I want to upgrade to dual-redundancy and take advantage of the chance to clean out my config and move to ext4.

I'm currently backing up my data to a usb harddisk using Frontview Backup. (backup volume:c to usb_share)

The steps seem simple enough
- Backup data
- Backup config
- Reset device
- Either reconfigure or restore config
- Restore data

It's the last step that troubles me. There doesn't seem to be an automatic option (backup usb_share to volume:c), so how would I set this up? It's about 800gb, so I'd rather not tie up a pc and the local network, but move it directly from the usb share to its new home.
Message 1 of 4
HiddenWolf
Aspirant

Re: Fastest way to restore data from backup after factory re

I've managed to restore all data.
Easiest way I found was to open ssh and just copy data back to the original destination using cp.
Message 2 of 4
cerri1
Aspirant

I had the same problem.
I saw during backup the command issued is 'cp -va' with output redirected to a log file.
I've done the same.

But I don't understand why if there is a backup option, a restore option is missing 😞
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

It would be a nice feature if they had a restore button that reversed source and destination. Maybe you can add that to the new features requests.

Usually I have just done that manually.

BTW, it is important to reinstall addons before restoring the config.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements