× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

File Gone or Inaccessible on ReadyNAS Ultra2 RNDU2220

Cornerfield
Aspirant

File Gone or Inaccessible on ReadyNAS Ultra2 RNDU2220

I got back access to my NAS device, but ALL the files there are gone... I was not even able to access the NAS from my computer, but thanks to experts' help on this forum I got access back. The new problem is that all the files are gone. 

The (new) situation: 

1) My computer can now access the NAS thanks to the suggestions given on this community...but all the files are gone

2) The folders and subfolders are still there, but I see NO files in any of the folders, or files that I can not open 

3) When there are files in a folder, each file has an "X" at the bottom left corner. When I double-click on any, I get "We can not open this file." error

4) So far McAfee has not detected any infections on the device

5) The RAIDer application shows "all green" readings with no issues

Almost all files are image files with JPG, TIF, PSD, PDF extensions. How can I possibly get the files back? When the virus scan is done, I intend to reboot the device to see if that works. I read that the "X" at the bottom right corner of each file indicates that the destination is missing...does that mean the file is gone and irrecoverable? Please view the screenshots for your reference. 

If the reboot does not work, what else should I try to get the files back? Should I get a data recovery software program? What would you recommend? 

Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your attention in advance. 

Cornerfield

Model: RNDU2220|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 4TB (2 x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: File Gone or Inaccessible on ReadyNAS Ultra2 RNDU2220

Also, I suggested enabling HTTP for the share.

Click on the services on the left, and then "Standard File Protocols".  Scroll down until you see HTTP.  Make sure it is checked, and that the redirect is set to "none selected", and login authentication is set to "disabled" as shown below.  Then click apply.

nas-6.png

Click on "Shares" again (then Share Listing), and click on the http/s icon for the Primary share. You should see thisnas-7.png

Set Default Access to Read/write, and then click apply again.

After this, you will hopefully be able to access your files with Windows Explorer. 

If that fails, also try to browse to http://192.168.0.142/Primary

You should also see the files there - if you do, then try to download one of them, and see if that works.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 35

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Can you see the files form the NAS admin GUI?

If you can, you likely need to reset the file and folder permissions from the GUI.  If you need help finding that, let us know if you are still running OS4.2.x or have upgraded to OS6 and somebody will point the way.

Message 2 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

I forgot to mention that when I check Properties of the "Primary" folder right below the NAS icon in the file brouser, I get: 

Size: 0 bytes

Size on disk: 0 bytes

When I check Properties of the subfolder below the "Primary", the subfolder that contains all other subfolders, I get: 

Size: 121 GB

Size on disk: 10.9 GB

Contains: 8,892 Files, 335 Folders

Please look at the attached screenshot. Thanks again!

Cornerfield

Message 3 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

Sandshark, 

Thank you for your attention to my issue once again. Where can I get the "how to" on OS6 upgrade? I believe the OS version is 4.2. Please see the screen capture. 

Cornerfield

Message 4 of 35
StephenB
Guru

Try enabling http for the share on share settings for Primary, and then browse to http://nas-C1-A8-0A/primary.  That should show you the subfolder.  Navigate into it, and see if you can download one of the images in the folder.

Message 5 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

StephenB, 

Thanks for extending help once again. By right-clicking on the "Primary" I went Properties => Network. I got an error message saying "Microsoft Networking: The server nas-C1-A8-0A could not be found on the network." Then I can not go any further. It is very wierd as I can certainly see the NAS icon in the file brouser and all the subfolders in there...but the computer says it is not there, and all the files are gone or can not be opened.

Should I go somewhere else to enable the share for the "Primary"?

I did try to move several image files into a subfolder in the NAS. Somehow two of them made it successfully while others did not move. And I can see and open those two image files that I just moved. Those two files are the only files in the NAS that I can now open. Very strange. 

Cornerfield

Message 6 of 35
StephenB
Guru

Try using the NAS IP address instead of it's hostname (e.g., \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ).

Also, as I suggested, try opening the NAS admin ui in your web browser, and enabling http for your share.

Message 7 of 35
Sandshark
Sensei

@Cornerfield wrote:

Please look at the attached screenshot. Thanks again!

You're still getting only the information Windows knows, which is controlled by Samba permissions.  You need to go to the NAS admin GUI or use HTTP(s) as @StephenB said to access ther files to find out what;s really there and what's just hidden from Windows (likely due to permissions issues).

Lets get you your files back before you move on to upgrading to OS6.  You need to re-format the drives when you do that, so you have to have backed up all your data.  Once that's solved, you can likely locate many messages in the forum by doing a Google search (avoid the forum search engine, it's abominable) and go by the newest one(s).  Or, open another message chain.

Message 8 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

StephenB,

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I put in the NAS device's IP address, and I got an error message saying "Windows can not access..." When I hit "Diagnose" in the message box, I get another error message "Troubleshooting could not identify the problem."

When I try to open the admin UI by clicking on "https://192.168.0.142/admin/" then MS Edge opens up, and I get a "This site is not secure" message and can not go any further. 

Cornerfield

Message 9 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

When I try to open the admin UI by clicking on "https://192.168.0.142/admin/" then MS Edge opens up, and I get a "This site is not secure" message and can not go any further. 

Yes.  You have to click through that.  You really need administrative access to the NAS, and not just use Windows.  If you see an "advanced" control, click on that and you should then see a link that takes you to the site anyway.  Then you should see a pop-up that gives you a logon prompt.  The username has to be admin.  Enter the NAS admin password in the password field.  The default admin password is netgear1.

If you aren't seeing the advanced control, then switch to Firefox or Chrome.

@Cornerfield wrote:

I put in the NAS device's IP address, and I got an error message saying "Windows can not access..."

Assuming you know the NAS admin password: Try running command - enter CMD in the windows search bar, and then click on the Command Prompt App.  That will open a black text window.  Enter these commands:

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\192.168.0.142\Primary /user:admin nas-admin-password

Be very careful on the typing - particularly the two different slash directions and the spaces.  Use the real NAS admin password instead of the blue nas-admin-password placeholder.

The first command will terminate any open network sessions on the PC.  The second will attempt to mount your Primary share as drive letter T useing the NAS admin credentials.

Message 10 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

Hi, 

I was able to finally get to the Admin UI by re-setting the NAS drive. Please see the attached. How can I reset the file and folder permissions using this UI, as Sandshark suggested? 

If this trick works, will I not have to back up all the files and re-format the NAS? Or will I have to do it anyways? 

Your suggestions so far have been invaluable. Thanks!

Cornerfield

Model: RNDU2220 Ultra 2|READYNAS ULTRA 2 (4TB: 2x2TB)|EOL
Message 11 of 35
StephenB
Guru

First click on the shares tab on the left pane, then then click on the CIFs icon next to the Primary share.

nas-1.png

Make sure the Default Access pulldown (top right) is set to "read/write". Scroll down to "advanced CIFS permissions", and set the two check boxes and the two file pulldowns as shown below:nas-2.png

Scroll down just a bit further, and make sure the two folder settings are also set the same way:

nas-3.png

Now click "apply" on the bottom right.  Next click on the Advanced Options tab on the top of the screen.

Set the owner to nobody, and the group to nogroup. The three rights pulldowns should all be set to read/rewrite.  Check the two checkboxes below that as shown:

nas-5.png

When that's all set up as shown, click "apply" again on the lower right.  The "set ownership and permission" checkbox will clear - that is normal. After a little while you should see a pop-up telling you that the permissions have been reset.

Message 12 of 35
StephenB
Guru

Also, I suggested enabling HTTP for the share.

Click on the services on the left, and then "Standard File Protocols".  Scroll down until you see HTTP.  Make sure it is checked, and that the redirect is set to "none selected", and login authentication is set to "disabled" as shown below.  Then click apply.

nas-6.png

Click on "Shares" again (then Share Listing), and click on the http/s icon for the Primary share. You should see thisnas-7.png

Set Default Access to Read/write, and then click apply again.

After this, you will hopefully be able to access your files with Windows Explorer. 

If that fails, also try to browse to http://192.168.0.142/Primary

You should also see the files there - if you do, then try to download one of them, and see if that works.

Message 13 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

StephenB, 

I believe I now have access to ALL the files and folders on the NAS drive. On the Admin GUI, I followed your instructions step by step. The http://192.168.0.142/Primary trick worked, so at least I can view all my files now. I realized that some folders had also disappeared from the File Brouser, looking at the content in Chrome. 

Unfortunatly what I can view in the File Brouser has not changed; still no files or files with Xs there. So that means I will have to live with that, I guess. I need to get used to managing files using Chrome. 

Having said that, I have made a huge progress from where I was a few days ago. Thanks again for your expert help!!

Cornerfield

Message 14 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

The http://192.168.0.142/Primary trick worked, so at least I can view all my files now. I realized that some folders had also disappeared from the File Brouser, looking at the content in Chrome. 

Unfortunatly what I can view in the File Brouser has not changed; still no files or files with Xs there. So that means I will have to live with that, I guess. I need to get used to managing files using Chrome. 

While it's good to know that the files are still there and access them, it really should be possible to get to them more directly.  But of course at some point the troubleshooting becomes too much.

Did you try the two commands I posted earlier?  Or did you just use windows explorer?

Message 15 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

Hi StephenB, 

No, I did not use the command prompt suggestion. I simply re-set the NAS password to default and then opened the Admin GUI with the default admin ID and password, before follwing the steps you laid out. 

Should I still try that command prompt and see what happens? Or could it possibly screw things up again? 

Cornerfield

Message 16 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

I forgot to mention I used Chrome, not Windows Explorer, to change settings on the Admin UI as suggested by you. 

Cornerfield

Message 17 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

Should I still try that command prompt and see what happens? 

Yes.  I am thinking there is a credentials issue in the PC, and those commands will help diagnose that possibility.  In the worst case, rebooting the PC will fix anything that might go wrong with those commands.

@Cornerfield wrote:

I forgot to mention I used Chrome, not Windows Explorer, to change settings on the Admin UI as suggested by you. 

I should have said "File Explorer" - Microsoft changed the name in Windows 10.  You couldn't have changed those settings with Windows Explorer/File Explorer, since it's not a browser.  

Message 18 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

StephenB, 

Thanks for your continued help and expert advice. I did run the two commands that you suggested in CMD. I got a response "System error 384 has occurred." And nothing happened. Please view the attached screenshot. 

Am I correct in guessing that the error means Windows 10 does not support the old network protocol that the NAS device (which I bought 8 years ago) needs to be "seen" by my computer? The webpage shown in the response to my command in CMD suggests that I get "a software or firmware update that support SMBv2.02 or a later version" for the NAS model. Do you happen to know if Netgear has that? Is that what OS6 is (which I suspect does not support my NAS...)?

Thanks. 

Cornerfield

Message 19 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

By the way, somehow the desktop shortcut to "Primary" of the NAS I created in the File Explorer (not Brouser, I guess) is no longer working. Each time I click on it, I get a very similar error message to the "System error 384" message. 

It matters little since I can not view most of the files and some folders in Primary via File Explorer anyways, but just FYI. I still seem to be able to view everything in Chrome, using your trick. 

Cornerfield

Message 20 of 35
Sandshark
Sensei

Has your NAS remained at the same IP address?   Unless you have reserved an address for it in your router (preferred method) or set it to a static address (has drawbacks if you ever change the router), it may "move around"  if powered off for some time.

Message 21 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

The webpage shown in the response to my command in CMD suggests that I get "a software or firmware update that support SMBv2.02 or a later version" for the NAS model.

I thought we'd discussed this point before.  With your current NAS you need to go into "turn windows features on or off" and enable the SMB 1/CIFS client.  So do that, and then try the commands again.

@Cornerfield wrote:

The webpage shown in the response to my command in CMD suggests that I get "a software or firmware update that support SMBv2.02 or a later version" for the NAS model. Do you happen to know if Netgear has that? Is that what OS6 is (which I suspect does not support my NAS...)?

Your NAS can be converted to OS-6 if you want to do that.   You would need to save off the files on another hard drive, go through the conversion process, set up the NAS again, and then restore the files.  Maybe we should first get everything working with OS 4.2, and then re-visit what you'd need to do.

FWIW, if you stay with OS 4.2, then you should update your firmware from 4.2.19 to the current version (4.2.31).  But let's get everything working first.

Message 22 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

Yes. The IP address remains the same. 

Cornerfield

Message 23 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

StephenB, 

Where can I find "turn windows features on or off" and enable the SMB 1/CIFS client, as you suggested? I looked in the pulldowns of the NAS GUI, but I could not find that particular setting... Did I miss it somewhere? 

Cornerfield

Message 24 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

Where can I find "turn windows features on or off" and enable the SMB 1/CIFS client, as you suggested? I looked in the pulldowns of the NAS GUI, but I could not find that particular setting... Did I miss it somewhere? 

It's on the Windows PC (in the control panel)..  Try entering "Turn Windows Features" into the Windows search bar.

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements