× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: File Gone or Inaccessible on ReadyNAS Ultra2 RNDU2220

Cornerfield
Aspirant

StephenB, 

I went to Control Panel and changed the setting (enabled "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client"). After the PC rebooted, I ran the command in CMD. I get another error message as follows. I am confused now...

"System error 86 has occurred.

The specified network password is not correct."

I still have full access to the files and folders in the NAS via Chrome, which matters the most. In the File Explorer, now the "Primary" icon is gone (the "nas-C1-A8-0A" icon is still there). 

Cornerfield

Model: RNDU2220|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 4TB (2 x 2TB Desktop)
Message 26 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

"System error 86 has occurred.

The specified network password is not correct."

netgear1 is the password you are using when you log into the web ui of the NAS?

If it is, then try changing the password to something else.

If it's not, then not, then use the real admin password.

Message 27 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

StephenB, 

Now I seem to be able to see EVERYTHING in the NAS using File Explorer. Yes; netgear1 was the original password, which I changed to something else. Then I used the command in CMD, and it worked! 

Looks like it is back to normal. I really appreciate your continuous help with my problems...and your patience, with which you handheld me through all the problem solving steps I took. No wonder you have a "Guru" designation!

Before I let you go, I have a few questions. Now the the access to the NAS has been restored (it seems), what should I be careful about in the future? The GUI and RAIDer both are giving me "all green" readings, so there do not seem to be any hardware issues. What, if any, do you recommend that I do (or not do) to prevent the same problem from happening again? Or should I consider purchasing a new NAS?

Also, is the command I put in in CMD (that allowed me to regain access to everything) permanently in effect? Or will the system "forget" each time I turn off or reboot the PC and / or the NAS, so that I will have to re-enter the command? Your advice would be much appreciated. 

Once again, thaks for everything!

Cornerfield

Message 28 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

Also, is the command I put in in CMD (that allowed me to regain access to everything) permanently in effect? Or will the system "forget" each time I turn off or reboot the PC and / or the NAS, so that I will have to re-enter the command? Your advice would be much appreciated. 

The Windows PC will "forget".  

One option is to open the Credential Manager on the PC, and create two windows credentials for the NAS.  One can use the IP address of the NAS, the other the hostname.  Both would use admin as the username and the admin password.

That would allow you full access w/o needing to use the commands or manually enter the NAS password.

@Cornerfield wrote:

What, if any, do you recommend that I do (or not do) to prevent the same problem from happening again?

Setting up email alerts is important.  Then the NAS will email you when it starts to find disk errors or other issues.

Also, you should back up the data to another device.  RAID isn't enough to keep the data safe- the best way to do that is to back up the data to another device (for instance a USB drive) on a regular basis.  

If you continue to access the NAS by it's IP address, then you should reserve the IP address in the router (so the NAS will always get the same address).  Your router manual should provide information on how to do that.

@Cornerfield wrote:

Or should I consider purchasing a new NAS?

Netgear stopped selling your NAS back in late 2012/early 2013 - so it is old.  At some point it will fail.  Also, Windows allows you to manually install SMB1 now, but that probably won't always be the case.  

So at some point you will need to replace it.  The RN212 is the current equivalent model (though it is much faster than the Duo).  But if the Duo meets your needs now, you can continue to use it - just make sure you keep up to date on the backups.

Message 29 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

StephenB, 

Thanks for your additional suggestions. I will look into them. 

According to the Microsoft webpage I looked at, SMB 1.0/CIFS is not safe. Assuming that enabling it can make a PC more vulnerable to hacks and virus attacks, maybe it is better for me to enable it only when I need to access the NAS. 

At the end of the day the long term solution seems to be buying a new NAS that supports better security as the current one is 8 years old (assuming upgrading to a new OS will not get me there). 

Cornerfield

Message 30 of 35
Sandshark
Sensei

@Cornerfield wrote:

According to the Microsoft webpage I looked at, SMB 1.0/CIFS is not safe. Assuming that enabling it can make a PC more vulnerable to hacks and virus attacks, maybe it is better for me to enable it only when I need to access the NAS. 

That's Microsoft's lawyers speaking.  Unless you believe there is a possiblility for sombody to break into your local network, you have a potential hacker threat that has been given access to your network,  or you extend your network beyond your walls via port forwarding, there is little reason to consider it unsafe fopr use on your local network.  But, they have provided no capability to enable it for only specific (local) ranges of addresses.   I don't know if there are any anti malware or virus protection programs that can block SMB1 but allow specific exceptions.

But given your NAS can be updated to OS6, which has a lot to add beyond SMB3, you may want to seriously look into when you can migrate in that direction.  That, or a newer NAS.  Microsoft may not continue to allow enabling of SMB1 forever.

Message 31 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

According to the Microsoft webpage I looked at, SMB 1.0/CIFS is not safe.

Of course that is up to you. Personally I think the security risks for a home network are acceptable, but others would disagree.

If you do replace the NAS, you could repurpose it as a backup (turning of SMB, and using rsync to back up the new one).  

Converting to OS-6 is possible - if you do that you should also increase the RAM. 

Message 32 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

StephenB, 

Understood. Thanks for your additional thoughts. They are much appreciated. I will check if my security software has a feature for SMB 1.0/CIFS exceptions. Perhaps I should at least upgrade the OS to 4.30 from the current 4.19...

Thanks and all the best, 

Cornerfield

Message 33 of 35
StephenB
Guru

@Cornerfield wrote:

Perhaps I should at least upgrade the OS to 4.30 from the current 4.19...

Yes, you should upgrade to 4.2.31.  https://kb.netgear.com/000038793/RAIDiator-x86-Version-4-2-31

There are some security fixes in the final releases (related to SMB 1).

Message 34 of 35
Cornerfield
Aspirant

Yes; Ver 4.2.31 (not 4.30). Thanks for the link. I just upgraded to the latest version. Thanks once again. 

Cornerfield

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements