× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

File name too long

dmahon1
Aspirant

File name too long

Trying to automatically backup some windows (8) user directories, I get an error:

Error encountered copying data from remote source path //earth/Users/dmahon ==> /backup/dmahon due to unknown reason. Please see log.

cp: cannot stat '/backup/dmahon/./AppData/Local/Packages/WinStore_cw5n1h2txyewy/AC/Microsoft/Windows Store/Cache/0/0-FileAssociation-https∺∯∯services.apps.microsoft.com∯search∯6.2.9200-1∯615∯en-GB_en-GB.en∯m∯GB∯c∯GB∯il∯en-GB∯cp∯10005001∯FileAssociation∯cid∯0∯pf∯1∯pc∯0∯pt∯x64∯af∯0∯lf∯1∯s∯0∯2∯pn∯0∿phrase=ofx.dat': File name too long

Is there anything I can do about this? Does the rest of the backup complete or does it stop?

Using RAIDiator 4.2.19 - happy to upgrade if this problem has been fixed, otherwise not happy to (last time I upgraded I had to do a complete reinstall of my data therefore I will only upgrade when absolutely essential).
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: File name too long

Microsoft has a limit of 260 characters in the path name, it is probable you are hitting that. If so, there is no simple fix (since it is a Microsoft limitation).
Message 2 of 5
gavin73
Aspirant

I used PathTooDeep. And was very pleased with its performance. Long Path Tool is awesome to get rid on your long path files. Good luck!
Message 3 of 5
rodger1
Aspirant

this a common problem try to use a " Long path tool " program

I am sure that this will solve your problem

Message 4 of 5
gregory2015
Aspirant

Have you tried software called Long PathTool , it is absolute solution for such kind of errors.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements