× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

File operations taking forever

ronlaws
Aspirant

File operations taking forever

Is there a speciffic reason why file operations take forever on the ReadyNAS? I'm a seasoned *NIX user and normal behavour oof say: mv folder_a ../parent_folder would normaly complete in a matter of a second or two, however on the nas, it seems to want to take forever in doing this simple task. Same goes with rm -rf folder_a (or) rmdir folder_a, again tasks that normally complete promptly on a normal Linux system. 

(ps yes i have ssh access enabled, and im trying to perform these tasks directly on the nas under the /data mount for the md array)

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: File operations taking forever

Each share is its own BTRFS subvolume.  So a move becomes a copy/delete operation.  It's fastest to do a cp --reflink and then delete the original.

On deletions - do you have snapshots and/or bitrot protection enabled?

Message 2 of 4
ronlaws
Aspirant

As far as I know, no - bitrot protection isnt enabled on this particular share and i turned all snapshots off. It may be on another share, I will need to doble check, did not know each share was treated as a seperate file system though, I don't see them under mounts (assuming Working Directory /data) only the various nfs share mountd though that would explain why normally instant operations are taking time (As if copying from 2 different disks)

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@ronlaws wrote:

that would explain why normally instant operations are taking time (As if copying from 2 different disks)

Exactly.  But cp --reflink should be as fast as a normal move (the data isn't copied, the new folder entry just points to the same datablocks).  

The rm slowdown is unexplained though.  Perhaps you should run a balance.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements