× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: File sharing - WINDOWS 10 - ReadyNAS no longer connecting

File sharing - WINDOWS 10 - ReadyNAS no longer connecting

Cannot see/access/satisfy-password on ReadyNAS NV+ and ReadyNAS 516 on Windows 10 home -- after the Windows update last week. 

Now: Windows 10 home, Version 1511, OS Build 10586.11

I simply want to use a mapped network drive and Windows explorer.  (Nothing remote or fancy.)

Any Ideas on how to fix this?

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: This Patch Worked for Me - Win10 Home / ReadyNAS 102

For OS6 models we'd recommend running 6.5.2 or later. 6.5.0 and later has the new WSD discovery service.

With Windows 10 you also want the workgroup on the NAS to match the one on your PC.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 21

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?  Are you using share security mode or user security mode?

Are you using the microsoft login, or a local user login on the laptop?

If you are running user security mode, then try entering cmd in the bottom search bar, and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nasipaddress\C /user:admin password

nasipaddress is the ip address of the nas (name likely works too)

password is the NAS admin password

That should mount the NAS data volume as drive letter T.

If you are using share security mode, you probably need to switch to user security mode.  There is some guidance here: http://readynas.sphardy.com/2010/09/how-to-migrate-to-user-security-mode_4917.html

Message 2 of 21
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Other things you can try.

In Win10 10240 I had to do the following:

1) There is a setting in windows Local Security Policy which is incorrectly set by default for viewing an older communication protocol NAS.

To access said setting go to the control panel in Windows 7, in Category view click on the text "System and Security", then click on the text "Administrative Tools".

Now double click and open "Local Security Policy".

In the Local Security Policy screen on the left navigation tree, expand the "Local Policies --> Security Options" then about 2/3rd's the way down the list you'll see a Policy called "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level". Double click and change the setting to be "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated."

Then just press OK and close all of the open windows and then try again

2) Run regedit. Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System. Create a new DWORD entry with the name EnableLinkedConnections and value 1. Restart your computer.

On 10586 in addition I had to run from an admin cmd window:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

and reboot.

Message 3 of 21
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Forgot - also needed the following for 10586:

Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options

Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications x2 -> Disabled

Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications x2 -> Disabled

Andy

Message 4 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@powellandy1 wrote:

...1) There is a setting in windows Local Security Policy which is incorrectly set by default for viewing an older communication protocol NAS...

My 2 Win10 systems access my NV+ and my two OS6 systems with no issues with no registry changes (an w/o the SC.exe config).  I am running 10586.  So there is perhaps a windows mystery here.

Start with the RN516, since share security mode isn't an issue there.

If my net use commands work, then powellandy's changes aren't needed.

If they fail, then I'd try them.

On the NV+, start with changing share security to user security (if you aren't using it already)

Then upgrade the firmware if it is downrev (since you might get a newer version of samba).

Then use the same steps. if net use fails, try powellandy's changes.

Message 5 of 21
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Sorry both.

I mis-read the question - I missed the mapping bit.

I have answered the question - How do I get my ReadyNAS to appear under the Computer section of Network in Windows Explorer - which I had problems with in both TH1 and TH2 versions of Windows 10.

Sorry

Andy

Message 6 of 21
Homith
Guide

Good Afternoon, I, only today, am experiencing this problem too on all my Windows 10 installations. It came after installing KB3120677 (i think). I have tried to uninstall and still no joy. I am using it with A RN314 with the latest firmware. I have tried the suggestions powellandy1 detailed but that didnt work for me. If anyone has any further suggestions I would love to hear them.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Message 7 of 21
powellandy1
Virtuoso

What problem exactly are you experiencing??

Failure to map or not seeing NAS as a directory in Network in Windows Explorer??

Message 8 of 21
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Some other things to try:

1. Ensure Network Discovery is enabled.
    1. Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
    2. For each Network Category (Public, Private, Domain) you wish to have the feature enabled, click the arrow to the right of the category to expand it, and select “Turn on network discovery” & check “Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices”

2. Ensure that Network Discovery is allowed inbound in the Windows Firewall (in addition to any other firewall in use).
    1. [Windows Key + R] > Firewall.cpl
    2. Click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” in the left pane.

3. In the Allowed apps and features scroll box, find “Network Discovery”.

4. Make sure it is checked for all of the Network categories that you have enabled.

3. Ensure the necessary services are started.
    1. [Windows Key + R] > Services.msc
    2. Base Filtering Engine                   (BFE)

3. Computer Browser                       (Browser)

4. DHCP Client                                  (DHCP)

5. DNS Client                                    (DNSCache)

6. Network Connection                    (NetMan)

7. Network Location Awareness      (NLASvc)

8. Remote Procedure Call (RPC)      (RPCSS)

9. Server                                            (LANManServer)

10. SSDP Discovery                            (SSDPSrv)

11. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper                (LMHosts)

12. Workstation                                  (LANManWorkstation)

4. Ensure NetBIOS Enabled - Open Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter Settings -> RIght click properties the network adapter (wired or wifi) -> highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties button -> click Advanced... -> select WINS tab and select Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

1. Ensure the network interface that is connected to the network you want devices discovered is in the appropriate network category (should be Private).
    1. [Windows Key + R] > Cmd.exe
    2. Type “PowerShell.exe Get-NetConnectionProfile”

In this output you will find Network Category, which needs to correspond to the category enabled through the firewall, as well as when Network Discovery is turned on.

• For machines with multiple interfaces, you will need to know the name of the interface which is connected to the network with the devices you wish to be discovered

1. Ensure your Network bindings are correct.

1. [Windows + R] > NCPA.cpl

1. Right click the interface and select Properties

2. Ensure the bindings are bound

1. Client for Microsoft Networks

2. File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

3. Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

4. Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

5. Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver

6. Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

7. Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

3. If any of these are unbound, try rebinding, and if that still doesn’t work, from an elevated command prompt, run  “NetCfg.exe –d”

Message 9 of 21
Homith
Guide

Changing the ReadyNAS from SMB3 to SMB1 using SMB Plus did the trick. All is functioning now. Followed the advice here:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=106924&sid=7e9deffc43998df099b1dd891a800326

Works all the time, every time now

Cheers 🙂

Message 10 of 21
MacRory
Initiate

The answer above worked for me. The only change is where 'C' is listed in the command line it will need to reflect for actual volume name - that maybe 'C' or 'data', etc. or it will fail.

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nasipaddress\C /user:admin password

nasipaddress is the ip address of the nas (name likely works too)

C is the name of your nas volume

password is the NAS admin password

Message 11 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@MacRory wrote:

The answer above worked for me. The only change is where 'C' is listed in the command line it will need to reflect for actual volume name - that maybe 'C' or 'data', etc. or it will fail.

Yes, you need to use an actual data volume name.  My intial post was focussed on the NV+ v1 NAS, which has a volume of C (with potentially additional D,E, and F volumes if flexraid/jbod is used).

OS6 names are of course different.

Message 12 of 21
Destne
Aspirant

This Patch Worked for Me - Win10 Home / ReadyNAS 102

Upgraded to Windows10 Home today and ReadyNAS102 disappeared from networks in Explorer. It is ping-able and I can get to admin by typing it's IP. Taking steps from here and the Synology Link, it is now working. Steps: On ReadyNAS go to Apps and install SMB Plus. Launch it. Select tab for SMB Version. Choose SMB 1. Restart ReadyNAS On PC: Run regedit. Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System. Create a new DWORD entry with the name EnableLinkedConnections and value 1. Command Prompt Admin Mode: sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled Restart your computer. My Readynas now appears in explorer under networks. I guess the sum of this is to force SMB1 on NAS and in Win 10. The last step is to make a huge mental note that if Ms or Netgear ever release a patch to SMB3.x you will need to undo the above 🙂 Thats it. Good luck!
Message 13 of 21
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Destne,

Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 14 of 21
Destne
Aspirant

Upgraded to Windows10 Home today and ReadyNAS102 disappeared from networks in Explorer. It is ping-able and I can get to admin by typing it's IP. Taking steps from here and the Synology Link, it is now working.

Steps:

On ReadyNAS go to Apps and install SMB Plus. Launch it. Select tab for SMB Version. Choose SMB 1. Restart ReadyNAS

On PC:

Run regedit. Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System. Createa new DWORD entry with the name EnableLinkedConnections and value 1. Command Prompt Admin Mode:

Restart your computer.

My Readynas now appears in explorer under networks. I guess the sum of this is to force SMB1 on NAS and in Win 10.

The last step is to make a huge mental note that if Ms or Netgear ever release a patch to SMB3.x you will need to undo the above Smiley Happy

Thats it. Good luck!

NB Reposted as formatting lost on previous post...

Message 15 of 21
CLHatch
Luminary

@Destne wrote:

Upgraded to Windows10 Home today and ReadyNAS102 disappeared from networks in Explorer. It is ping-able and I can get to admin by typing it's IP. Taking steps from here and the Synology Link, it is now working.

Steps:

On ReadyNAS go to Apps and install SMB Plus. Launch it. Select tab for SMB Version. Choose SMB 1. Restart ReadyNAS

On PC:

Run regedit. Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System. Createa new DWORD entry with the name EnableLinkedConnections and value 1. Command Prompt Admin Mode:

Restart your computer.

My Readynas now appears in explorer under networks. I guess the sum of this is to force SMB1 on NAS and in Win 10.

The last step is to make a huge mental note that if Ms or Netgear ever release a patch to SMB3.x you will need to undo the above Smiley Happy

Thats it. Good luck!

NB Reposted as formatting lost on previous post...

If you're using the preview releases of Windows 10, you might check to see if it works without dropping down to SMB1 now...

I'm currently on the "Fast Ring" for the Windows 10 previews, and after the last update (Build 11099), it started working as expected with no changes needed.  I would think this means that if you choose not to use the preview releases of Windows 10, it will work when the next "stable" build comes out.

Message 16 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi CLHatch,

This could be related to this post. A windows update have fixed the SMB issues of several affected users. Thanks for sharing though.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 17 of 21
motamedd
Guide

Re: This Patch did NOT Worked for Me - Win10 Home / ReadyNAS 102

Hi I have two Netgear 4 disk RN104s with firmware 6.5.1 (upgraded this monring from 6.5) along with Windows 10 home edition build 10586.420 and up until this last weekend (18 June 2016) I was able to access the NAS by mapping them as a network drive or as netwrok locations.  Since June 18 I cannot access the NAS via a mapped drive or via a network location.  I can get to them via ip and login.

I ran the entire pathch recommended and intstalled the SMB app as well as ran the recommended changes to windows registry and command line etc. It did not fix my problem. I now need to know how to undo the whol thing.  Espescially need to know how to undo the command line portion: "sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi" and "sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled"  Also if there is a new fix since this post, please let me know.

Thanks,

DM

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 18 of 21
motamedd
Guide

Destne,

Hi this patch did not work for me.  Please let me know how to undo the following command:

Also to undo the following command I assume I just use the "enabled" switch?

DM

Message 19 of 21
motamedd
Guide

Never mind I found the following link under Microsoft Support on how to re-eanble SMB2 and SMB3.  The link is:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

The commands to undo the disablement of SMB2 and SMB3 to reverse the above commands from Destne's solution is:

To enable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto

And futher, to enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

To undo the regedit, just delete the DWORD entry you had made with the name EnableLinkedConnections and value 1

And finally remove/"uninstall" the SMB Plus app on the ReadyNAS server.
DM

Message 20 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For OS6 models we'd recommend running 6.5.2 or later. 6.5.0 and later has the new WSD discovery service.

With Windows 10 you also want the workgroup on the NAS to match the one on your PC.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements