× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Files in Use; Can't Delete

untuck
Aspirant

Files in Use; Can't Delete

So, lately I've been having this problem where certain files cannot be deleted and often times they are empty directories. When trying to delete it returns the following message:

The operation can’t be completed because the item "Filename" is in use.

There is a .DS_Store invisible file that cannot be deleted, too. I'm running a small office setup with user level access over AFP. Never really had problems (except for a still persistent FTP issue) with the ReadyNAS, but this is getting to be a bit annoying. Any help would be much appreciated.

ReadyNAS NV+ [X-RAID]
RAIDiator 4.1.7
1024 MB of memory
Message 1 of 11
renesalm
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Do you already have a solution?

Thx.
Message 2 of 11
spinakur
Aspirant

Hi
if the problem not solve :

in Apple Protocol most hidden folders are created to index the folder which you want open ....

".appledouble" and ".Parent"

you need delete those hidden folder to delete entire folder ...

or in ssh :
rm -Rf

need : openssh installed of course ... if not : a reboot of the readynas solve the problem ..
Message 3 of 11
jelockwood1
Guide

One possible cause of this problem is if the directory itself is in use even if a file is not. This may sound nonsensical to a normal Mac user but can happen. Probably the most common cause would be if you had a Terminal window open and the Terminal session (shell) was in that directory or a sub-directory of it. You can test this by doing the following

1. In Finder create "New" as a folder on your desktop
2. In Terminal.app do cd /Users/username/Desktop/New
3. Now in Finder try deleting the "New" folder and it will give an error
4. To get out of the problem either end the Terminal session or cd to a different directory

Another possible cause I have seen which sounds less likely is that if you say open a jpeg in Preview from a directory and then close that jpeg but do not quit Preview, even though the file has been closed the Mac can think the directory that jpeg is in is busy. This is because (I am guessing) Preview has still got the directory open. Quitting Preview clears the problem. I see this fairly frequently with both Preview and QuickTime Player and possibly other applications.
Message 4 of 11
julesg1
Tutor

Anyone figure this one out yet? I'm having similar issues. I have a few empty folders that I am unable to delete. I'm getting a message saying that I don't have sufficient permissions. When I check the permissions, it says that everyone has "Custom" permissions. What does that mean and how do I fix this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

ReadyNAS NV+ [X-RAID]
RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043]
256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
Message 5 of 11
orc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have a few empty folders (some but not all of which are in the Recycle Bin) that I am unable to delete from a share, even when mounting the share as admin. I am getting an "OSStatus error -47 File is busy" error.

Permissions are OK.
I have tried rebooting both the NAS and Macbook but still get the same error message.
There seem to be no hidden files that correlate to the folders I am trying to delete.
I have also turned off the Recycle Bin feature for this share and rebooted to no avail.

If someone comes across a solution for this, please post!
Message 6 of 11
orc
Aspirant
Aspirant

orc wrote:
I also have a few empty folders (some but not all of which are in the Recycle Bin) that I am unable to delete from a share, even when mounting the share as admin. I am getting an "OSStatus error -47 File is busy" error.

Permissions are OK.
I have tried rebooting both the NAS and Macbook but still get the same error message.
There seem to be no hidden files that correlate to the folders I am trying to delete.
I have also turned off the Recycle Bin feature for this share and rebooted to no avail.

If someone comes across a solution for this, please post!

Ok, I found a workaround until Netgear addresses this issue. However, you have to be familiar with Terminal / the UNIX command line:

Using Terminal, I logged directly into the ReadyNAS with Secure Shell as root with the command ssh root@192.168.10.10 (substitute this IP address with the IP address of your own NAS, of course). The password is the same one you use as admin in Frontview. If you have not already enabled root login via ssh, you can find the EnableRootSSH patch and instructions on how to install it at http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=617

Shares are located in the /c directory and user private shares are located in the /c/home directory. Once I found the right files, I had no problem deleting them.

Hope this helps!
- Oliver
Message 7 of 11
DrDan1
Aspirant

I just had this problem - very frustrating.

My solution was to start the CIFS service, then connect using that service. I could then delete the files. Disconnect then stop the service.

Dan.
Message 8 of 11
edoneil
Aspirant

Thanks DrDan !
I have had this problem for quite some time and I had never thought of using CIFS as the service. I was using an application called Houdini to go in and delete the .DS_Store files and others that OS X leaves behind without success. Using CIFS not only deletes these files but also let me see them.
Much better than using Terminal, especially if you have never used it before.
Message 9 of 11
dchang0
Aspirant

I've got this problem too. Seems to be limited to Macs connected over AFP.

I've confirmed that Cover Flow's image preview will lock the file against deletion. IF you merely switch the view from Cover Flow to, say, List view, you will find that you can delete the file without having to resort to the SSH or CIFS tricks. Of course, if you are using Preview or some other software to look at the file's contents before deleting it, you will have to fully quit that software.

This is especially true for Apple Mail--if you have just attached a file to Apple Mail, then attempt to delete it even after sending the email out, you often will have to quit Apple Mail to release the lock.
Message 10 of 11
Lithium-Admin
Novice

One other thing is if you have video files in the folders and you have "Show icon preview" on OS X, sometimes the file won't delete. Turn off "Show icon preview".
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements