× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Files not moving or deleting correctly (RNDU6000)

patdman81
Tutor

Files not moving or deleting correctly (RNDU6000)

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with my NAS, where after I either copy then delete, or directly move files around using Windows File Explorer, that they still appear in the original directory and cannot be deleted, except through the web admin interface.

Generally, I am moving from one share to another.

I have a little Win11 server + laptop running Win11 and this seems to happen more often when performing these moves from the server. It's really starting to drive me a little bit crazy!

Running ReadyNAS OS v6.10.7

4x 8TB (WD80EFAX)

Running in RAID5

Has anyone had this happen before?
Happy to provide any further information which might assist in diagnostics.

Regards,

Patrick.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Files not moving or deleting correctly (RNDU6000)

@patdman81 wrote:

I'm having some issues with my NAS, where after I either copy then delete, or directly move files around using Windows File Explorer, that they still appear in the original directory and cannot be deleted, except through the web admin interface.

I've sometimes seen this, but not often enough to pursue it.  Does the file eventually get deleted if you do nothing?

If you have strict sync (advanced SMB settings) turned on for the source share, you might try turning it off and see if it still happens. 

I'm suggesting this because the source share where I have seen this has strict sync on (while most of my other shares have it off).  Could be a red herring though, as I probably do more moves and deletes from that share..

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@patdman81 wrote:

I've sometimes seen this, but not often enough to pursue it.  Does the file eventually get deleted if you do nothing?

If you have strict sync (advanced SMB settings) turned on for the source share, you might try turning it off and see if it still happens. 

I'm suggesting this because the source share where I have seen this has strict sync on (while most of my other shares have it off).  Could be a red herring though, as I probably do more moves and deletes from that share..

Message 2 of 7
patdman81
Tutor

The problem doesn't go away if I leave it, but I'm not sure how long I have ever "just left it alone" to really find out!

I have no patience when it comes to my files being nice and tidy 😄

I just checked and I do have strict sync enabled for that share, I'll turn it off for a week and see if things change.

If I do want to test the "just leave it alone and see if things sync" theory, do you have a recommended length of time to leave it for?

Regards,

Patrick.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@patdman81 wrote:

If I do want to test the "just leave it alone and see if things sync" theory, do you have a recommended length of time to leave it for?

Not really. Maybe minutes to an hour???

FWIW, I have seen that when I have a folder open on another machine, that deleting the folder will remove the files in it, but the folder itself remains until I dismiss the window on the other machine.  Not sure if that is related to this symptom or not.  But I am guessing that Samba is deferring the deletion for some reason - which is why you can delete it from the web interface.  You'll also find it can be deleted with ssh. 

Message 4 of 7
patdman81
Tutor

OK thanks for that. It's definitely not cleaning up within hours, as sometimes I have left it 24hrs before cleaning up manually.

Let's see how the strict sync change goes.

Message 5 of 7
patdman81
Tutor

So I've had a limited amount of activity on the NAS recently, but so far it seems like the strict change setting has fixed things.

I'll give it a bit more time before I consider this resolved though.

Message 6 of 7
patdman81
Tutor

OK, so I have given this more time and having just recently performed a bunch of copy/move/rename shuffles, I can pretty confidently say that my issue has gone away.

I've marked the initial suggestion as the solution.
Thanks @StephenB!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements