× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Files uploaded from iOS ReadyCloud app to RN524X are only 1K in size and won't open

ChronosGlitz
Aspirant

Files uploaded from iOS ReadyCloud app to RN524X are only 1K in size and won't open

I have a ReadyNas 524X with firmware version 6.10.8 and when I try to upload documents to it from my iPhone using the iOS ReadyCloud app version 2.1.2, the files wind up being only 1K in size. When I attempt to open any of the files, I get the error "It looks like we don't support this file format." This happens on both Wi-Fi and the cellular network. I also shared a folder to an alternate email address, set up a new Netgear account and logged into the ReadyCloud app with it but the same issue still occurs. I have a Nighthawk router running firmware version 1.0.10.140.

Message 1 of 7
grindstr
Guide

Re: Files uploaded from iOS ReadyCloud app to RN524X are only 1K in size and won't open

I have the same problem storing .mov files from my iPhone12 to my RN314 using ReadyCloud version 2.1.2 (2237). The stored mov files gets only 1k big.  

Hope for some explanation for this soon?

@grindstr 

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Files uploaded from iOS ReadyCloud app to RN524X are only 1K in size and won't open

Since ReadyCloud is being discontinued soon, I recommend you start looking for an alternative to ReadyCloud instead of a fix for it.  My choice (on Android, but also available for IOS) is ZeroTier.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Since ReadyCloud is being discontinued soon, I recommend you start looking for an alternative to ReadyCloud instead of a fix for it.

Agreed.

@grindstr:  As you likely know, current iOS supports direct access to the NAS when you are on a local network.  

ZeroTier is one way to get remote access, if you have a Nighthawk or Orbi router you can also use OpenVPN.  Resilio Sync might be another option, depending on what you want to do.  Though I run that on a PC, not the NAS.

If you are comfortable with port forwarding, you could also use FTPS or SFTP - iOS doesn't have built-in support for those, but there are third party apps.

Message 4 of 7
grindstr
Guide

Yes, thank you and @Sandshark. Wasn't aware that IOS allowed access to NAS locally. Then it became very easy. I'm running OpenVPN to my FreeBSD pfsense router and accessing my internal network through it, including NAS of course. But I had never heard of ZeroTier either, so I had to check it out. Now I have set up ZeroTier on both mobile and NAS and it works perfectly fine. I will check out ZeroTier a little regards to speed etc, then I may use this rather than OpenVPN, which have the drawback of open NAT port. 
So thanks again for good advice's. Now I can just forget about ReadyCloud 🙂

Message 5 of 7
ChronosGlitz
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestion. When I try to access files through the local network on my iOS device, they are read-only. I set up ZeroTier on both my iOS device and my ReadyNAS but the files are still read-only. I have checked permissions on the ReadyNAS and everyone has read/write access. Not sure what's wrong, but I am looking for the capability to save files through the iOS device to the ReadyNAS.

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Can you write new files, just no change or delete old ones?  Your ReadyNAS user is a different one from your local account (which is what you also use via ZeroTier).  If you changed that user's access after the files were initially created, you may need to reset all the file permissions.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements