× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware 6.5.1 - SMB down after reboot

doujungle
Aspirant

Firmware 6.5.1 - SMB down after reboot

Everything working fine until FW 6.5.1.

Once I upgraded to the above FW, my LG TV can see the NAS still but no changes I make to the nas show up.  

I can see the NAS on OS X if I browse it, but am no longer able to map via AFP, CIFS, or SMB.  Raidar sees the nas on OS X.   (All windows machines see it fine).  All file sharing permissions are still the same as before.

Anyone know of a fix for this issue?  I've read that there is no rolling back FW from 6.5.x verisons.

Thank you

Message 1 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Firmware 6.5.1 - SMB down after reboot

Do you have a backup?

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 20
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi doujungle, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 20
robrobinson
Aspirant

I am having this same issue. Was there ever a resolution ??? This is holding up a lot of my researchers that are using windows.

Message 4 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@robrobinson wrote:

I am having this same issue. Was there ever a resolution ??? This is holding up a lot of my researchers that are using windows.

Try this (as a test).

Open CMD

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nasipaddress\data /user:admin nasadminpassword

See if that mounts the data volume as drive letter t.

Message 5 of 20
doujungle
Aspirant

This did not work.  Also, I don't see how that helps the TV see updated content on the NAS.

Message 6 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@doujungle wrote:

This did not work.  Also, I don't see how that helps the TV see updated content on the NAS.

As I said it was a test (not a solution).  What error did you get?

Ok, let's step back.  There were two problems that the OP had.  One was with his smart TV, the other was with OSX PCs.

Are you seeing both of his problems?  Or just the issue with the TV?  If the latter,are you using DLNA or SMB? 

Message 7 of 20
doujungle
Aspirant

I am OP.  I turned on DLNA, SMB, and AFP to no luck.

Not errors.  Just doesn't work anymore.

Message 8 of 20
robrobinson
Aspirant

I am the follow up user that had a similar problem, and the net use command suggested gave me a server not found error both on windows and apple. I’m sorry I don’t have the exact error message, but I can connect via afp to the same share no problem, it’s just smb ( on both mac and windows now ) that does not work for me.

Rob

Message 9 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@doujungle wrote:

I am OP.  I turned on DLNA, SMB, and AFP to no luck.

Not errors.  Just doesn't work anymore.

-Did the CMD test result in mapping the NAS data volume to drive letter T or not?

-The smart TV and the OSX issues are likely different.  On the TV are you seeing no media at all?  Or just not seeing new media?

Message 10 of 20
doujungle
Aspirant

Oh sorry.  I wasn't paying attention to usernames i guess.

Message 11 of 20
doujungle
Aspirant

-Did the CMD test result in mapping the NAS data volume to drive letter T or not?

-The smart TV and the OSX issues are likely different.  On the TV are you seeing no media at all?  Or just not seeing new media?

I can map fine on windows machines.  Just TV and OS X don't. 

On the TV, I only see the media that was on the NAS before I upgraded the firmware.  

Message 12 of 20
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi doujungle,

With regard to your TV concern, probably the files are being accessed via DLNA and needs to be rescanned. You may also want to re-enable the DLNA service on the affected shares and have "all" media types selected under media settings. On your MAC OS X machine, have you tried logging in as guest when you tried to access your shares? Assuming the shares have no permissions and has guest (r/w) access enabled. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 20
doujungle
Aspirant

I've removed all file sharing protocols, rebooted the nas, re-enbabled them, rebooted and the TV still only shows what it saw before the firmware update.

OS X-  Yes, I have tried logging on as guest eventhough the share I'm trying to access has anonymous access enabled.

Other thoughts?  Any chance of a better FW version coming out soon?  I've read in the forums this happens almost every FW update.

Message 14 of 20
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi doujungle,

I don't see a Firmware update would fix your problem since it works on your Windows PCs. Have you considered checking the SMB (file sharing) menu of your MAC computer? With regard to your TV, have DLNA rescanned on your ReadyNAS and tell us how it goes.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@doujungle wrote:

I've removed all file sharing protocols, rebooted the nas, re-enbabled them, rebooted and the TV still only shows what it saw before the firmware update.

As BrianL says, you missed the media rescan, which is the first thing to try when media doesn't show up.

Go to system->settings->services, then click on ReadyDLNA.  There is a "rescan" button in there.

If that doesn't fix the TV problem, then the most likely cause is a corrupted media file in the library.  Sometimes this can cause the media scan to crash (not often, but possible).  So let us know if the rescan takes care of it.

@doujungle wrote:

OS X-  Yes, I have tried logging on as guest eventhough the share I'm trying to access has anonymous access enabled.

Are you running the public beta (Sierra) on the Mac?  If not, are you running OSX 10.11 or something older?

@doujungle wrote:

Other thoughts?  Any chance of a better FW version coming out soon?  I've read in the forums this happens almost every FW update.

Not sure what the "this" is that happens, since you have two completely different problems.  Sometimes there are bumps/issues, but there is nothing that consistently breaks in almost every firmware update.

Message 16 of 20
doujungle
Aspirant

Go to system->settings->services, then click on ReadyDLNA.  There is a "rescan" button in there.

If that doesn't fix the TV problem, then the most likely cause is a corrupted media file in the library.  Sometimes this can cause the media scan to crash (not often, but possible).  So let us know if the rescan takes care of it.

It didn't crash, but it didn't allow the TV to see my media either.  I highly doubt it is corrupted data as I enabled DLNA on a new folder and added 1 media file to it that the TV couldn't see either.

Are you running the public beta (Sierra) on the Mac?  If not, are you running OSX 10.11 or something older?

I'm running el capitan.

Message 17 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@doujungle wrote:

It didn't crash, but it didn't allow the TV to see my media either.  I highly doubt it is corrupted data as I enabled DLNA on a new folder and added 1 media file to it that the TV couldn't see either.

You can't tell if the media scan process crashed from the web ui.  The NAS runs fine, but the DLNA database updates silently stop.  

So your TV symptom still sounds like a problematic media file to me.  Another possibility is that you didn't wait long enough for the rescan to complete.

Perhaps try disabling DLNA on all the old folders, and rescan again - then see if the media file in the new folder is visible.

@doujungle wrote:

I'm running el capitan.

That's useful, because there is a known issue with Sierra.

Are you using the procedure here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23180?cid=wmt_netgear_organic  Particularly the advice to try both the NAS name and the NAS IP address?

Also, mdgm requested your logs some time ago.  Did you ever send them to him?  There is a link in his signature telling you how to do that.  It is important to include a link to this thread in the email, (and include mdgm in the subject line).

Message 18 of 20
doujungle
Aspirant

Awesome.  1/2 is fixed now.  After scanning the DLNA, the TV now picks it up.

Now i'm just stuck with OS X not connecting.  When trying to mount the share, smb://*share*/  it just drops.  No errors.

Message 19 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@doujungle wrote:

Awesome.  1/2 is fixed now.  After scanning the DLNA, the TV now picks it up.

Great.

Now i'm just stuck with OS X not connecting.  When trying to mount the share, smb://*share*/  it just drops.  No errors.

Have you tried both smb://hostname and smb://ipaddress  Then pick from the share list?

Maybe also enable afp and try afp://hostname and afp://ipaddress

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements