× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Update from 6.7.1 to 6.7.3 Has Failed

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are way too many USB sticks out there for us to be able to test them all.

Message 26 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have updated to 6.7.3 and ran into this issue please try USB Boot Recovery with ReadyNAS OS 6.7.4 which is now available!

If you have not yet upgraded please upgrade to 6.7.4 rather than 6.7.3. If your system has already been fixed I would still suggest updating to 6.7.4 the normal way using the web admin GUI.

Message 27 of 50
dirtyreturn
Aspirant

Can you please provide a solution for linux users by chance?
Message 28 of 50
dirtyreturn
Aspirant

I upgraded to 6.7.3 and got stuck with unusable hardware.
The issue I'm facing is difficulty installing windows
Message 29 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you're comfortable with the Linux CLI you can follow these steps

Note you'll need to put the files from the x86 folder onto the USB key with the exception of syslinux.exe (the Windows installer for putting the syslinux bootloader on a USB key). Also the x86 firmware image you put on the USB key should be the 6.7.4 one. You need to extract the .zip download and put the .img file on the USB key.

Alternatively you could e.g. create a VirtualBox VM for Windows and configure USB passthrough and run our tool.

Message 30 of 50
dirtyreturn
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the direction.
Firstly, I am having difficulty with the syslinux .zip. The first command - ./syslinux -I does not seem to be recognized.
And, for some reason I cannot get my windows vm to recognize usb drives.
I don't know...
Any way, somehow, is it possible to use gnome disk?
Message 31 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have to install the package first e.g.

# apt-get update
# apt-get install syslinux parted

If a command is not found that means a needed package is not installed. On some systems you will need to proceed commands with sudo to run them as the root user.

I think mbr.bin is in the syslinux-common package.

You can do

# dpkg -L syslinux-common

to see where this is located.

Message 32 of 50
dirtyreturn
Aspirant

Man, oh man.
I don't understand where to go after that or how to go about getting the environment right to be able to create a bootable usb.
Is there any way, at all, that a premade usb could be sent to me for a price?
Message 33 of 50
m3co
Aspirant

Can you get me a copy? i have tried to many ways with too many pens..... it is really hard...

Message 34 of 50
TeknoJnky
Hero

While there may be flash sticks with issues becoming bootable, generally most of them should work fine; however properly preparing them can be difficult and/or confusing.

I would recommend reviewing the various methods @ https://www.google.com/#q=creating+bootable+linux+usb

to see what works for you

Message 35 of 50
jiska78
Tutor

I'm having exactly the same problem as mentioned here.

I've even removed all my drives and can't get in to the boot menu.

Also, if I try and boot off USB it says "booting off USB", then "booting", then "mount_block_root + 1f1"

What can I try from here?

Message 36 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I believe if it can't boot off the USB key it falls back to trying to boot off the disks.

Not all USB keys are compatible.

Our script expects a syslinux bootable USB key using the MBR partitioning scheme with the recovery files on the first partition.

A common reason I've seen for USB Boot Recovery failing is configuring a USB key with no partitions at all. The script looks for the first partition and can't find one so it cannot find the USB Boot Recovery files.

As has been mentioned elsewhere you can try using Rufus, you can try using syslinux 6.03 directly and you can try an alternative initrd.gz and kernel I've prepared that boot the NAS into a tech support mode like state.

Message 37 of 50
jiska78
Tutor

Thanks mdgm.

As I mentioned, I've removed all the disks so I assume the FW on the chassis itself is stuffed.

I've tried using Rufus (just ran the program, clicked Start and then afterwards running Netgear USB Recovery) but that doesn't seem to work either

There's only one partition, FAT32

Message 38 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

It appears that creating a bootable USB disk is like winning the lottery.

Your odd's of actually getting it to work are 1 in a million.

It's not something that is done very often if at all by most users.

There must be a better utility that Netgear can create that will create a bootable USB drive without having to use 3rd party software like Rufis to format a USB drive.

The utility should also automatically grab the latest firmware version from your desktop and put it in the correct place on the USB drive.

Updating your firmware on a NAS should never be this difficult.

Just another opionion.

Model: RN51664E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 39 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This error relates to the firmware on the flash, yes.

In Rufus you could select to create a syslinux 6.0.3 bootable USB key with a MBR 0x80 put on the USB key. You can manually copy the files from the x86 folder from the USB Recovery download (except for the syslinux.exe)

I've sent you a PM with links to some custom initrd.gz and kernel files that you can use instead of the default initrd.gz and kernel. With these custom files the NAS will attempt to boot into a tech support mode like state and it won't matter if the USB key has a partition table on it or not.

Also the tool should be run as an Administrator (right click and select Run as Administrator)

Message 40 of 50
jiska78
Tutor

Sorry to appear to be daft, but I'm pretty much a novice at this stuff. I just did a firmware upgrade and now my NAS is broken and I'm a bit lost as to how to fix it. I did an hour's chat with Support but that didn't really get me anywhere they just said to do an RMA which will mean weeks without my files. You said "In Rufus you could select to create a syslinux 6.0.3 bootable USB key with a MBR 0x80 put on the USB key" but there are no dropdown options that say anything about syslinux??

Message 41 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Under format options you can choose to create a bootable disk using Syslinux 6.03.

Under Advanced Options there's the BIOS 0x80 option. Note you need to right click on Rufus, and select Run as Administrator when opening it to get the maximum amount of options.

The partition scheme should be MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI

Filesystem FAT32

Cluster Size should be the default

In addition to what Rufus puts on the USB key you'd need to add:

initrd.gz

kernel

syslinux.cfg

ReadyNASOS-6.7.4-x86_64.img

NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt

These should be in the x86 folder of the USB Recovery tool already if you've followed the process correctly.

Note if you downloaded the firmware zip you'll need to extract the contents of the zip folder. You'll get the .img file and also the Release Notes. The .img file needs to go on the USB key.

If you use the custom initrd.gz and kernel I sent you links to the NAS will boot into a tech support mode like state  (instead of doing USB Boot Recovery) enabling a remote fix. It's worth trying those if you can't get USB Boot Recovery to work with the standard initrd.gz and kernel.

As for RMA you should be able to select an Advanced RMA where we send you a unit first. This wouldn't take anything like weeks. Certainly fixing your unit with USB Boot Recovery is the best way forward if possible to get the fastest resolution. Where things work smoothly you can be back up and running pretty quick.

Message 42 of 50
nsne
Virtuoso

To offer my experience, I tried every permutation of USB Recovery drive I could find (e.g., different thumb drives, different versions of syslinux, with and without Rufus). Nothing worked. I RMA'd my 314, and I had a new unit in a few days' time. They bumped me to "Advanced" as a matter of course, which I was grateful for.

The replacement 314 booted instantly from the first USB Recovery drive (a Patriot 8GB) that I had been trying to use with the defective 314, and I was able to upgrade the firmware to 6.7.4 that way right out of the box. So, in my case, this "+1f1" problem was not solvable by the USB Recovery method and could only be addressed by an RMA.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 43 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For me our USB Recovery Tool works fine and is very straightforward to use. There are circumstances where a 3rd party tool such as Rufus can help.

Message 44 of 50
jiska78
Tutor

Brilliant.

This post did the trick, now appears to be booting up properly - thanks heaps.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Firmware-Update-from-6-7-1-to-6-7-3-Has-Failed/...

Message 45 of 50
BillS17
Initiate

I got this error today on my 314. The 6.7.4 update worked but after the second reboot this happened.

After trying everything, i finally got it working. Thought i'd summarise my steps. They may not all be required for everyone but this is what i did and i'm back working again.

Drive used :  Sandisk Cruzer Facet 8GB - Performed Low level format (using Quick Wipe) with HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool (Free here... http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/ )

Created bootable disc using Rufus...

R-click > Run as admin on Rufus.exe. All settings at default except "Create bootable disk using " > Select Syslinux 6.03

Downlaoded and extracted the USB recovery tool from the link on this page... https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

Copied these files from os6-recovery-tool\usbrecovery.v2.0.T14.support\x86 to the bootable USB drive

- initrd.gz
 - kernel
 - syslinux.cfg
 - NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt

Downloaded and extracted 6.7.4 firmware from https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#software

Copied ReadyNASOS-6.7.4-x86_64.img to the bootable USB drive

Put USB drive in front USB port. Hold Backup button and tap power button. Release Backup button when Booting from USB message is on LCD screen. Took about 1 minute then NAS powered off. Powered on and confirmed shares accessible.

I couldn't access the web interface. I resolved this by performing a OS reinstall as per guide here..  https://kb.netgear.com/22891/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-104-204-214-or-314

HTHs someone.

Message 46 of 50
4redstars
Guide

Thanks!

I'm not sure what worked but I used Rufus to create the boot drive plugged the same USB drive I've been using and it failed with the same error. plugged the hdmi in and tried different timings of releasing the backup button. One of the three tries worked and my NAS is back up and running. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Something worked I used I remembered the exact time I released it 

Message 47 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The backup button method in my experience is pretty straightforward. Press and hold the backup button, turn the NAS on, keep on holding the backup button for long enough to get it to boot off USB. If you don't press it down properly or for long enough you'd run into issues. Still not all USB keys are compatible so it can take trying multiple different USB keys to find one that works.

The O.K. button on the RN316/RN516 is much more tricky as if you press the button too early or too late it won't work. We addressed this in later BIOSes by getting the systems to automatically boot off a connected NTGR USB service key without any need to press the O.K. button.

RN312 systems with one of the most recent BIOSes will automatically boot off a connected NTGR USB service key without any need to press the backup button.

Message 48 of 50
McRob1
Luminary

@mdgm-ntgr

I am hoping you can decode your message.

You said something about a "NTGR USB service key"  What is that?

You also said "We addressed this in later BIOSes by getting the systems to automatically boot off a connected NTGR USB service key"  What is considered later BIOSes.  Is there a specific version number that it is supposed to be able to boot without pressing the OK button?

Sorry I don't understand all the computer lingo.

Model: RN51664E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 49 of 50
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have one of the following BIOSes:

RN516: 08/31/2013 (or later)
RN316: 09/09/2013 (or later)

RN312/RN314: 09/17/2013 (or later)

it should boot automatically off a USB Boot Recovery key created using our tool without needing to press any buttons.

The BIOS date is shown in bios_ver.log

The BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is what gets a x86 PC started when you turn it on. One of the things the BIOS decides is which device to try to boot from.

Message 50 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 49 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements