× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update from 6.8.1 to 6.9.0 - now disk 4 is throwing (ATA failing disk) warnings

memeo
Aspirant

Firmware update from 6.8.1 to 6.9.0 - now disk 4 is throwing (ATA failing disk) warnings

I ran firmware update successfully last night, and rebooted the NAS.

Instantly, the below alert started occurring - twice per minute - as if the test itself is creating the error count.

Detected increasing ATA error count: [570] on disk 4 (Internal) [TOSHIBA DT01ACA100, 43O2KBWNS] 477 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Why would something of this nature not be found in 6.8.1?  I've updated this device at least 3 times in the past year, and a few power outages, so please don't tell me that it's showing up only because of a restart.  

I have not attempted to reseat the drive, but I have attempted a system restart, which did not clear the issue.  

1) Is this particular alert "new" to 6.9.0, or was it part of 6.8.1?
2) Should I downgrade and see if the problem goes away?

3) Are there other diagnostics which I should perform before attempting changes at the physical layer?

Note: I am 119 miles away from this device, and it's a 2 hour drive each way, on a good day.  A 4 hour drive, each way, on a bad day.  I *really* don't want to drive out there if I don't have to....

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Firmware update from 6.8.1 to 6.9.0 - now disk 4 is throwing (ATA failing disk) warnings

That is not a new error message and is quite likely completely independent of the system update.  It comes for the drive's own SMART tests.  Is the NAS doing something else (like a sync, balance, or scrub) that would put extra strain on your drives?  The reset from the update certainly could have been the last straw for that drive, too.

Unfortunately, I think you need to make the drive to the NAS's location because that dive is about to fail completely.  And, unless they are available there,  take with you a computer (and USB dock if needed) so you can run diagnostics on the drive external to the NAS.  To keep from potentially having to make a second trip, take along a replacement drive, too.

Message 2 of 4
memeo
Aspirant

The NAS device is barely utilized to begin with, and no, it's not doing any sync, balance, backups, or much of anything for that matter.  760GB used, 2.00 TB free, and snapshots are on, and will continue to run until 95% full.  That may take longer than paying off my mortgage at this rate....

It wasn't a physical power reset, it was restarted through the GUI.  This is why I tended to believe that it was a new Firmware issue.  The next time I consider installing firmware updates, I plan to restart the device first, and see if anything throws an error or warning.  If not, then I have further data to say that it was not the hardware.

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

You said it was "as if the test itself was creationg the error".  Well, it was writing each of those failures to the log, and those writes could be the source of more errors.

An ATA error can be caused by an external source, though the SMART will log it as a fault because it can't tell.  But I know of no way that a firmware error could cause that unless they are false alarms.  I have only seen them as a hardware issue.  And if they are false alarms, then the SMART data for the drive should not show them.

While the firmware update, which writes to the OS partition, and then the log entries, that also write to the OS partition, may have been a catalyst, the root cause of the error is almost certainly hardware.  If you don't want to travel there now, you should at least make sure your backup is up to date in case things get more dire.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements