× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update to 6.7.3 - Retry Startup

flamepanther
Aspirant

Firmware update to 6.7.3 - Retry Startup

What have you guys done to my NAS?

I have a ReadyNAS 316--would love to give you the exact model, but I can't access the interface now that it won't boot. It started giving me "Retry Startup" on the front panel after I tried to install today's update. I tried the solution suggested in some other threads (power off, remove all disks, insert a blank spare, let the firmware update complete, power off, remove spare, reinsert original RAID disks) but this did not work for me. I'm stuck. Thanks a bunch for this update.

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've sent you a PM

Edit: If you have updated to 6.7.3 and ran into this issue please try USB Boot Recovery with ReadyNAS OS 6.7.4 which is now available!

If you have not yet upgraded please upgrade to 6.7.4 rather than 6.7.3. If your system has already been fixed I would still suggest updating to 6.7.4 the normal way using the web admin GUI.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've sent you a PM

Edit: If you have updated to 6.7.3 and ran into this issue please try USB Boot Recovery with ReadyNAS OS 6.7.4 which is now available!

If you have not yet upgraded please upgrade to 6.7.4 rather than 6.7.3. If your system has already been fixed I would still suggest updating to 6.7.4 the normal way using the web admin GUI.

Message 2 of 21
NTGR-OPS
Tutor

Same issue.  On second call with paid support.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 3 of 21

Same exact problem -- RN516 6.7.1 --> 6.7.3 "Retry Startup"

Message 4 of 21

I rebooted and watched the LCD like a hawk.  Basically what happens is that it starts booting, says "Upgrading fw" for a looooooong time, *very* briefly flashes "unable to extract", then goes back to "Booting ..." with a progress bar.  When the bar gets to 98 / 99%, it says "Retry Startup".  When I hit the NAS IP with my browser, it loads a page "Connecting to ReadyNAS admin page", then times out and says it is offline.

I don't have SSH or anything like that enabled, so I am unable to SSH into the machine.

The "unable to extract" sounds a bit similar to another thread here, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-316-unable-to-boot-after-6-7-3-upgrade..., which seems to suggest a volume is full.

If I don't have SSH turned on, how can I free space on the volume?

Message 5 of 21

@mdgm-ntgr, would you be able to help?  I do have a backup of the "most important" shares, but I don't have a backup of the "less important" shares.  Would be awesome if I didn't have to reset

Message 6 of 21
flamepanther
Aspirant

@TheSteelRider
That's plausible, but it couldn't be the user data volumes that are full. I've got over 1.5TiB available in /data/. It's gotta be the OS volume. Maybe there's a bloated database or log file in there. Still, I've done many OS updates and never had this happen before. I do have SSH turned on, so I can poke around just a little. I'm not about to start just randomly deleting stuff though. Oddly, a few of my apps also seem to be running, but SMB shares aren't.

@mdgm-ntgr
I'll respond to your​ PM after I get home from work today. Thanks.
Message 7 of 21
flamepanther
Aspirant

Actually, if there's a way to safely wipe the OS volume and reinstall without losing the user data volumes, I'd be down for that. I can rebuild my settings easily enough.
Message 8 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

flamepanther wiping the root volume was one of the options. Hopefully though I could do so whilst preserving the config.

Message 9 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

TheSteelRider your system should be back up and running now.

Message 10 of 21

@mdgm-ntgr, I can't even begin to thank you enough!  Indeed, my system is up and working flawlessly.  Total support response is the fastest and best I have ever encountered.

I really want to buy you a beer, or if you choose not to imbibe, then perhaps a soda!

Message 11 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the kind words TheSteelRider. I can't accept the beer (or soda for that matter).

Message 12 of 21
flamepanther
Aspirant

Resolved via PM. Thank you so much!
Message 13 of 21
City-Insights
Aspirant

Hi there

I'm having the same problem wiht one of my NAS drives after running a software update last night. Now it says lcd_panic_handle r+7d 

Are you able to help me with this? I'm not sure what has gone wrong, but it looks like you have the answers!

Mike

Message 14 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've sent you a PM.

Message 15 of 21
City-Insights
Aspirant

Thanks for the help mdgm - all looking a lot healthier now and done very efficiently!

Message 16 of 21
uniqueuser
Aspirant

Hi All,

First time post to the community after owning a ReadyNAS for a few years. Following a successful upgrade to the 6.7.3 firmware, I was having an issue with an iscsi LUN and restarted the ReadyNAS204.

During startup, the device spent a long time checking the filesystem (seemed stuck at 96 - 98%) before displaying "Retry startup".

Netgear RAIDar is able to detect the NAS and displays the status message "Management service is offline". I have downloaded the logs and am happy to provide them if this will result in the issue getting resolved.

Output from the RAIDar diagnositics follows:

Successfully completed diagnostics

System

• No errors found.

Logs

• No errors found.

Please provide advice on how to proceed.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 17 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please see the update solution to this thread above.

Message 18 of 21
uniqueuser
Aspirant

OK,

I used the USB recovery method and the download for 6.7.4. The NAS came back up and I was able to login using the web interface.  When I did it reported that it was using firmware version 6.7.3 and prompted me to update to firmware 6.7.4, which I did.

The device went through the FW upgrade process and when it pwered back on, I was presented with the "Booting.... 98%" message for a long time and then the "Retry startup" message again.

Please advise on what steps I should take next? RAIDar shows the current firmware is 6.7.4 but that the status is "Management service is offline".

Thank you.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 19 of 21
philipm
Aspirant

I have the same problem but after attempting an update to 6.7.4. Retry startup stuck at 86%. Do I first go down the routeof updating to 6.7.4 again using USB recovery option?

Thanks

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 20 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No. I can have a remote look at your unit after some sleep.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements