× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update to os 6.5 breaks SMB on USB connections RN104 #26893300

Davexyz2
Aspirant

Firmware update to os 6.5 breaks SMB on USB connections RN104 #26893300

Updated my OS6.4.2 to 6.5 on my RN104's

However after rebooting  I now cannot access my USB devices  on any of the usb ports using SMB on windows PC.  The main device  ie the NAS share/s show in windows but not the usb device.

Devices show as connected on the NAS web admin page, SMB and NFS services are running on the share

Can access the files via the web browser  from the path shown I am assuming that by this method I am accessing using nfs

Tried by using the full smb url on Windows PC but no go.  It would seem that smb IS NOT activated on the usb ports!

I have tried rebooting/disconnecting Nas/USB drives and PC just incase.

I reported this similar behaviour some firmware updates back I cannot remember specifically  but pre 6.2.5 where the an update "broke" usb smb access.

Pretty standard USB devices WD My book and Icy box USB  units

My RN104's that have not been updated to 6.4.2 are still showing the usb devices so it is not my network system

Can someone  get a firmware fix ASAP or how do I go back to OS 6.4, without afactory reset I see the release notes say do not.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 38

Accepted Solutions
Davexyz2
Aspirant

Re: Firmware update to os 6.5 breaks SMB on USB connections RN104

Well  I think it is only fair that when issues are fixed that thanks be due that they are made public as forums can tend to err on the side of a "moan-fest"

I will start by thanking the member of Support that dealt with my case I hope that I am not breaking any rules by naming them, Quin Hong.  I would also tlike to thank the un-named R&D engineer that was also was involved and all the support staff that were involved in resolving this issue.

Of course in the end it was an "simple" fix In fact it involved a change of order of two lines in a configuration file but tracking these sort of things down can obviously be a nightmare, but they found it.

I was even told what to do. to correct my other units.

And the final "confirmation" was to update one of the OS 6.4.2  Units to 6.5 and edit the file

YES YES YES it works

It still begs the question "why does this only show up in disk's above a certain size", 

(EDIT)  Just been informed that it may be due to the size of the disk that extra delay is required. By changing the two lines that gives enough response time for the disc to be "fully" mounted

I also extend my thanks to all that contributed on this thread and to mdgm who escalated this.

Once I was "in the system " Netgear showed that they can work with the customer to resolve issues 

Not to sour any praise but this is a "bug" in the firmware which I was unfortunate (fortunate for any other users  who this may affect at some stage) to find  and this I still believe the issue  was addressed intially in a less than suitable manner.

Obviously my issue was initially very specific and  Netgear has many many units with operating with a myriad of third party peripherals and disks, compatibility is always going to be an issue.  And there is always the variability associated with the level of "user competence".  Anyway it seems to be resolved and thanks again to all involved

I understand that the change in the configuration file will be incorporated in a later firmware update.

Maybe another unit in a couple of months time!!

View solution in original post

Message 37 of 38

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Davexyz2 wrote:

Can access the files via the web browser  from the path shown I am assuming that by this method I am accessing using nfs  

No, that would be accessing using http.

I haven't seen this, but can try it later today or tomorrow on my RN102.

Message 2 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

Checked this all ways

Turning off smb for nas main unit   removes share in windows explorer, turning in back on restores OK

For attached usb, Webrowser indicates on and off status of SMB service but no actual share appears/disappears.

USB discs are is still available vis nfs service checked using linux box and confirms that not reacheable by cifs/smb from linux

SMB service is broken in 6.5.0 for usb ports on my RN104's at least (7 off)

Firmware fix required

Message 3 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Just plugged a USB 2.0 stick formatted in FAT32 to the front port of a RN104 running F/W 6.5.0. The shares were shown on the GUI and accessible via SMB. So SMB is not globally broken, it's something more specific.

Message 4 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

following up on ja0lantash findings

I plugged in a 16K flash drive formatted as FAT32 into front usb  and it showed up OK SMB Access

rformatted to NTFS plugged in to front usb  OK SMB Access

1.8 Tb Western digital My book NTFS  front USB OK SMB Access

2.76 My Book  NTFS front usb OK SMB Access

5Tb Seagate essentials NTFS  not recognised at all, see below (probably be recognised a device upon reboot but no SMB Access!)

8TB NTFS RAID 5 Icybox plugged into front not recognised at all

upon reboot recognised in web browser with SMB service  but no smb access from windows

Anyways these all worked in OS 6.4.2

So a tweak of the usb driver required?

Message 5 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

For a short term fix can I "downgrade" to 6.4.2  without damage

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 6 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Nope

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30662/~/readynas-os-version-6.5.0

"Devices updated with 6.5.0 firmware should not be downgraded to earlier firmware versions."

I don't have such big USB HDDs, so I won't be able to help further I'm afraid.

Message 7 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

In my original post I did state "can I downgrade without a factory reset" as I was aware of the warning in the release notes.

I also stated that this issue cropped up in a previous OS 6 update which meant that I lost t access via the usb port devices which required a factory reset to downgrade firmware.

Probably due to the kernel updates.  But some users had  reverted previous updates despite such warnings with seemingly no issues.

i was hoping that someone from Netgear could give a "well" maybe if these steps are taken" answer

This is a "major" issue as the attached devices are my backup strategy and as we are constantly being told here "Do You/HaveYou made  A Backup...."  Now I cannot access my backup devices due to a Netgear firmware update again

So can Netgear get back on this

Message 8 of 38
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

We removed some kernel modules from the main package, so if your USBs are using XFS, then we don't mount them natively anymore without the Kernel Plus package. 

but since you are using NTFS, we should pick that up. We did update the NTFS-support in 6.5.0. Did you e-mail your logs to support? 

Message 9 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

No  I have not sent in my logs. Who should I send them too Yourself?

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|,RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 10 of 38
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

See the Sending Logs link in my sig. Send them in Attn: kohdee (as per the instructions)

Message 11 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

Hi mdgm, kohdee logs sent

I also got the "usual" response from Netgear support

"out of 90 day warranty" I may have to pay an a case by case support. I should purchase a service contract etc

SORRY You broke it you fix it!

What is it with Netgear they simply do not get it.

Then customers get annoyed and rant on the forums and then it is their fault.

It works in OS6.4.2 but NOT in OS 6.5.0

Message 12 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you insist that this issue occurred straight after upgrade to F/W 6.5.0, I believe they should assist you without a support contract.

Message 13 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

jak0lantash

What I just posted is a very reduced summary of  of the reply that I sent to "Netgear support" and in a further edited version by  pm to kohdee and mdgm

This is the stock response from Netgear support They simply do not get it.  No matter what "they do" to customers units they  "always" start with the "customer pays" statement.

I have had a few issues the last one was never resolved by Netgear to do with failure by software and got close to being banned  for a while on this forum  Once again I got the "pay for support" reply.

That issue that was never resolved by Netgear and has cropped up again and has been reported by other users on this forum so I have very little faith in support.

Their software development side needs serious work as  I have noted that the "same/similar" issues are being repeated in firmware updates AND are being "carried across" from previous OS's.

I have  a backup up strategy and backups as constantly being stated as the "customers responsibility" on the forums but now I am in the situation where this has been broken by Netgear.

Message 14 of 38
NSDias
Tutor

I have just updated to 6.5.0 and completely lost SMB support/access to all the internal volumes.

All works fine via web, but when I try access with Windows Explorer it fails to connect "cannot access...".

Tried turning OFF/ON, rebooting, etc. Still not working. IP adresses all ok. SMB is simply not working! Never had an issue before this update!

Please fix ASAP!! I cannot use the NAS without SMB!

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 15 of 38
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello NSDias,

Do you have ReadyCloud app on this computer? If so, make sure it is updated to 1.12 version then login with your ReadyCloud account that you used to enable ReadyCloud in the admin page. Then map the NAS IP.

Regards,

Message 16 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

Below is the response from Netgear about this issue

"Thank you for the response.

Our firmware is tested several times before it is released. We also do not have reported issues with this firmware regarding USB file access. With this, we would need to further check on the settings of the NAS. Retrieving back to the old firmware is not advisable as indicated on the release notes of the latest firmware.

Due to the device's warranty, we will be giving you limited options for support. If you are not interested in purchasing our support contract, you may still visit our support site and community forums."

So No interest in fixing unless I give them money.

Here is my response

What sort of response is this

I have now reported an issue. The usb devices work in v6.4.2 and directly on a PC How do I get back to a working firmware on my system?

If I buy an new unit and then plug these in a they do not work then are you committing to fixing my issue. If I buy a support contract are you committing to resolving my issue.

This type of response is typical of your attitude and you are probably taking the view that I am being unreasonable.

USB devices of 4TB and above do not work in OS 6.5 I have supplied my logs as requested and i they show that directly after installing OS 6.5 the drives do not Mount.

Your response is not a response of any Customer-centric Company at all but "Please go away we have no responsibility or interest and we Netgear can destroy a customers system at will after any warranty period with firmware updates. We even take the view that we will not help a client revert to a working firmware So if we break it we do not care about the customer as what if we lose a few along the way, and take no responsibility ".

I am reporting to to Trading standards in my countryas you are selling goods not fit for purpose."

All I wnat now is to get back to OS6.4.2 which Netgear will not even help me withand then sell all my netgera devices and buy sSynology as Netgear Obviusly have no interst in their customers

I am not "stepping over any line" here Netgear  clearly show th in this response their customer care attitude

Message 17 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

And the latest answer

"

Thank you for your response.

I do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you but the support 
that we can provide you with this device is limited since the 90 days of free 
support entitlement has expired.

Purchasing a Support Contract for the device is not your only option to get 
assistance from us. You may access our support site (support.netgear.com) or our 
forums (community.netgear.com) and you may look for related articles or online 
threads that may assist you with this case.

Once again I do apologize for the inconvenience."

Therfore NO PAY NO WAY WE WILL NOT EVEN ADVISE ON HOW TO DOWNGRADE OR ANTHING UNLESS YOU GIVE US MONEY TO FIX WHAT WE HAVE BROKEN (EVEN THOUGH WE DO NOT EVEN ADMIT THAT"
GIVE US MONEY BUT WE ARE NOT ADMITTING ANYTHING OR COMMITING TO FIXYOU ISSUE.
And I know that I am shouting but as one poster said in my response "surely Netgear will investigate if their update caused the issue"

here is the answer, A responding No but give us your money

NHOW TO I DOWNGRADE TO OS6.4.2 anyone please so I can then sell these piles of junk
Message 18 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

And here is the kicker I  should have support as I am within the 90 days  as below (removed serial Number)

Product: RN10400
Serial Number:
Country of Purchase: UK
Purchased on: 21/Mar/2016
Registered on: 21/Mar/2016

Standard Product Warranty * :

- Hardware Warranty: Available till 21/Mar/2019
- Free Installation Support Warranty: Available till 19/Jun/2016

I updated 5 RN104's and have two which were backing up so I did not update so they work .  I simply sent logs of a unit that showed the fault I did not send in logs for 5 devices.  So Netgear are trying to claim that they will only deal with the unit/s in "warranty" even though in my case it is a global issue and all OS6 5 units show this behavior regardless if they are in warranty or not.  In fact effectively update all units so they break send in the  logs and we may/maynot deal with the issue

I have sent a reply requesting Netgear to instruct me to update the firmware on my working in  warranty RN104 so that it Breaks" and I cannot use it in my business.   However to comply with this request I require a transfer of funds to purchase the equivalent Synoloy unit when my working machine now is of no use to me

Message 19 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

Customer Service - What Customer Service

Latest reply (removed serial no.)

The NAS with serial number:  shows that it was purchased last March 
21, 2016 but the manufacture date was last January 1, 2015. That unit was 
purchased beyond 1 year of its "Prescribed Shelf-life" and in order for us 
verify that units support and hardware warranty, we would like to ask for a copy 
of the receipt or any proof of purchase to be attached on your response to this 
Email so that attach it on the record of that unit.

I really apologize for all the delay that this has caused you.

So Netgear NAS have a best before date!!

What on earth has this to do with me I purchased from Amazon  Am I supossed to ask Amazon when then recieved their Netgear products . Ad refuse to accept anything that is less than some unknown Netgear prescribed sell by date. This units are not perishable goods or are they!!.

If Netgear have this policy They should stamp the best before date on the Packaging and the product. so that the customer can send it back

Message 20 of 38
NuchDog
Aspirant

I also had some SMB issues with my 312. Seemed to be permissions related at first. To make a long story short. I also found that several things were having issues with file names and file paths having "invalid characters".

Took a bit of trying, but apparently the 6.5 update broke my locales config. Running "dpkg-reconfigure locales" as root finally got things back to normal. It turns out that the switch of some users to their MyNetgear account caused their user name to become their email address. The "@" in their user name was not being recognized (i.e. it was an "invalid character") so they had major SMB issues.

I post this here since the issue was also affecting some random file names and file paths which might also explain why some USB mounts are failing.

Solution for me was:

1) ssh in as root

2) run the command "locale"

2a) note what language and region setting you are using (e.g. "en_US.UTF-8"), also note any errors.

3) run the command "dpkg-reconfigure locales"

3a) select the correct locale (e.g. "en_US.UTF-8")

4) run the command "update-locale"

4a) make sure there are no errors

Message 21 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Davexyz2 wrote:

Customer Service - What Customer Service

Latest reply (removed serial no.)

The NAS with serial number:  shows that it was purchased last March 
21, 2016 but the manufacture date was last January 1, 2015. That unit was 
purchased beyond 1 year of its "Prescribed Shelf-life" and in order for us 
verify that units support and hardware warranty, we would like to ask for a copy 
of the receipt or any proof of purchase to be attached on your response to this 
Email so that attach it on the record of that unit.

I really apologize for all the delay that this has caused you.

So Netgear NAS have a best before date!!

What on earth has this to do with me I purchased from Amazon  Am I supossed to ask Amazon when then recieved their Netgear products . Ad refuse to accept anything that is less than some unknown Netgear prescribed sell by date. This units are not perishable goods or are they!!.

If Netgear have this policy They should stamp the best before date on the Packaging and the product. so that the customer can send it back

That's 100% normal in my opinion. It's normal that they confirm entitlement. Any manufacturer will ask you for an invoice. If you bought it from Amazon on the date you said, then, it's not gonna be difficult for you to provide an invoice.

Message 22 of 38
Davexyz2
Aspirant

Invoice was sent within 5 minutes. But even so I or probably any "customer" would have no idea how long the supplier held stock prior to sale

I will also check the locales issue but I do not use readycloud or the prevoius incarnation at all and have never activated it on any of my machines. 

Message 23 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Davexyz2 wrote:

Invoice was sent within 5 minutes. But even so I or probably any "customer" would have no idea how long the supplier held stock prior to sale

That has nothing to do with anything. You contact a manufacturer about a warranty thing, they ask you for the proof of purchase, period.

Regarding the technical issue, I don't think it's a good idea to mess with SSH unless you're sure of what you're doing, and that it is supposed to fix the exact issue you're having.

I can see you have sent logs to the NETGEAR people from here, mdgm and kohdee. I would advise you to wait for their feedback. When they ask for logs, they do look at them and give an appropriate answer. Check other topics, you'll see.

Message 24 of 38
StephenB
Guru

@Davexyz2 wrote:

Some clever customers will realize that they can "game the system" by not registering their product until they run into a problem - effectively giving them a longer warranty.  So it makes sense for Netgear to validate the purchase date if there is a large gap between manufacture date and registration date.

I understand it is frustrating, esp. in a case where there is good reason to believe that the firmware update created the problem.  A better process might be to ask for the proof-of-purchase when the product is registered (allowing it to be uploaded of course).

@jak0lantash wrote:
Regarding the technical issue, I don't think it's a good idea to mess with SSH unless you're sure of what you're doing, and that it is supposed to fix the exact issue you're having.

I can see you have sent logs to the NETGEAR people from here, mdgm and kohdee. I would advise you to wait for their feedback. When they ask for logs, they do look at them and give an appropriate answer. 

I agree (with both points).  If they agree it might be firmware related, they might also ask to troubleshoot it for you.

Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements