× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Flex-RAID will only use Auto option

Quantumgremlin
Aspirant

Flex-RAID will only use Auto option

No matter what Flex-RAID l RAID level I select the NAS always creates the Auto option.

I have tried different numbers of disks and deleteing the volume first but I always get the same result:

1 Disk RAID 0

2 Disks RAID 1

4 Disks RAID 5

What I need is RAID 0 or JBOD as I temporarily need the extra storage.

Model: RND4410v2|READYNAS NV+ v2|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Flex-RAID will only use Auto option

@Quantumgremlin wrote:

I am using the latest version of RAIDar and that is where I am using setup.

I have also just finished a test with X-RAID and I get the same result.

Use 4.3.8 RAIDar for this.  The newer versions often won't let you get into flexraid properly with legacy NAS

XRAID of course will give the same result, as it is designed to expand one redundance volume.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I don't own a v2.  Did you try a reset (and switch to flexraid) with only one drive in place?  Then see if you can create a second volume?

Message 2 of 7
Quantumgremlin
Aspirant

That is exactly what I tried.

Put first drive in and a RAID 0 set was created.

Put second drive in and selected the setup option for RAID 0 and a RAID 1 set was created.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Just to clarify - Even with one disk, you need to use RAIDar 4.3.8 to put the system into FlexRaid mode.  You have about a 5 minute window to do this after the factory reset starts. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar  If you didn't do that, then the system is in XRAID mode, which is similar to flexraid auto. 

The setup mode then has you create a volume, and at that point you select jbod.

Is that what you did?  The procedure is described on pages 24-26 of the software manual here: https://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/UM/RAIDiator5-3_Home_SW_en_Nov711.pdf

Message 4 of 7
Quantumgremlin
Aspirant

1 disk gives 1 disk capacity with no protection and 2 disks gives 1 disks capaity with protection.

Same as Flex-RAID on Auto!

Extra info, this is a second hand NAS and may be faulty but appears to work OK apart from the RAID level issue.

The disks are 500GB seagates, also second hand and appear to be in woring condition, came from a ReadyNAS NVX in RAID 5. 2 of the disks I have reformatted and checked becuase of errors, now have no errors.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Quantumgremlin wrote:

Use 4.3.8 RAIDar for this.  The newer versions often won't let you get into flexraid properly with legacy NAS

XRAID of course will give the same result, as it is designed to expand one redundance volume.

Message 6 of 7
Quantumgremlin
Aspirant

RAIDar 4.3.8 is clearly a better interface and it worked first time.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements