× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Flex-Raid volume not expanding after drive replacement

tgljamesuk
Aspirant

Flex-Raid volume not expanding after drive replacement

Hi,

I have an RN104 which was configured with two flex raid volumes:

Volume 1 = 2 x 250gb in Raid 1

Volume 2 = 2 x 1tb in Raid 1

I need more space, so i have replaced the two drives from volume 1 with two new 2tb drives. I replaced them one drive at a time, waiting for the rebuild to complete as per this KB article:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23136/~/how-do-i-vertically-expand-a-flex-raid-volume-...

It generally went as expected, so now I have a 250gb volume 1 on two 2tb drives containing the original data and its snapshots.

What I was thinking would happen next is that the system would realise that there is 1.75tb of unused space on both the drives and it would expand the volume to consume the unused space. Unfortunately this has not happened. I have tried rebooting the NAS a couple of times and that doesn't seem to have prompted it to expand the volume. The web GUI makes no mention of the process of expansion being initiated.

What have I missed?

Any help gratefully appreciated!

James

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Flex-Raid volume not expanding after drive replacement

It should have expanded.

If someone from Netgear doesn't offer to help troubleshoot, the least expensive way forward is to back up the data, destory the volume, and create a new one.  Then re-create the shares, and restore the files from backup.

Message 2 of 4
tgljamesuk
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response!

I thought it might be the case and that would be the solution to the problem.

If I use the backup facility from the ReadyNas web GUI, should I expect it to backup the snapshot information as well as the data?

I'm quite keen to keep the snapshots if at all possible so unless that backup reatins these, I might hold off on accepting my fate in the vein hope that someone from Netgear will suggest some command line witchery.

Thanks

James

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

You'll lose snapshots unless you use a USB-formatted BTRFS drive and know how to use btrfs send and receive.

Paid support is of course an option (you can get per-incident support if you ask).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements