× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Folder Timestamps & Rsync'ing directly from one ReadyNAS to another (no PC)

NateDC
Aspirant

Folder Timestamps & Rsync'ing directly from one ReadyNAS to another (no PC)

I would like to transfer the contents of an OS 4 ReadyNAS to an OS 6 ReadyNAS.

On a test run, the Rsync changed the date created/modified of folders (this differed whether the folders were viewed over CIFS or AFP).

As I understand it, an -a flag in Rsync will preserve folder attributes including modification and creation times.

How can I add the -a flag (or similar) to the ReadyNAS Rsync Web UI? 

Or is there an alternative CLI option?

Separately, I recall when I upgraded from an old NV+ I connected the two NASes directly and pressed the backup button for line-speed transfer. How would I do this with OS 6? Which options might I have to set up?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Folder Timestamps & Rsync'ing directly from one ReadyNAS to another (no PC)

@NateDC wrote:

Separately, I recall when I upgraded from an old NV+ I connected the two NASes directly and pressed the backup button for line-speed transfer.

There is no way to do that with any ReadyNAS over the USB interface.

You can create backup jobs and tie them to the backup button.

You can then directly connect the NAS with ethernet, configure two compatible static addresses (also using the appropriate static addresses in the backup jobs).  Then that process would work.

But if you have a gigabit switch/router, there is no speed benefit to doing all this.

NateDC wrote:

On a test run, the Rsync changed the date created/modified of folders (this differed whether the folders were viewed over CIFS or AFP).

How can I add the -a flag (or similar) to the ReadyNAS Rsync Web UI? 

Or is there an alternative CLI option?

Yes, it does change the folder dates, which is not ideal.  There's no way to modify this behavior from the GUI.  You can of course run rsync manually from ssh, and use whatever options you want.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements