× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Folders won't open - hang, crash? (PCs and MACs)

dpitts
Aspirant

Folders won't open - hang, crash? (PCs and MACs)

I have Windows 10 users with mapped drive and MAC users using SMB and AFP (tried them both) and two different users on the network (PC and a MAC) will call me and say they cannot get into the same folder.  I trty and it hangs...sits there...and eventually crashes the Finder window or the File Browsing window...

?  I did notice the folder name had a weird character in it, Shift+8 - the * symbol....does that bother the NAS?

These files were copied over from a Windows 2008 Server.

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yup, @dpitts, it bothers your nas. The asteriks '*' is a wildcard and should not be used in a file or folder name. I wonder how one managed to get it into the concerned foldername. Try to create a foldername containing and asteriks with windows and see what the system says to you.

Normally wildcard characters like '*' or '?' are used in cli-commands to find multiple folders and/or files you want to expose to certain activities in one shot, eg deleting, moving, renaming, etc.

If you are lucky and find out who created the folder, that person might be able to rename it to something without special characters.

Kind regards

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You can try renaming the folder using the admin web ui.  Go to the shares page and select browse.  Right-click on the folder, and you'll see an option to rename.

Message 3 of 5
dpitts
Aspirant

I have renamed it.  Few employees that are here say it's all working fine.

But this was the same thing yesterday - first few folks get here nad it's working great - several said it is even "Serving" up files quicker than the windows 2008 server they were browsing...

BUT....around lunchtime - problems.  So I'll see if it just was a fluke with that folder.. ?

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I ran into some issues with 6.9.4, and ended up reverting to 6.9.3.  In particular, I was seeing btrfs hangs when I drag/dropped from one NAS folder to another.  This was using SMB (I'm not a mac user).

So perhaps download the log zip file, and look in system.log and kernel.log for btrfs errors.  Or if the problems persist, try downgrading to 6.9.3, and see if the symptoms disappear.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements