× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Free space after expansion

joe_schmo
Tutor

Free space after expansion

I have an RN428.  5 8TB drives, 3 14TB drives.  I put in a 4th 14TB drive and expected that the RAID6 would expand after it.

But it has 48 hours left to sync with the log below and at 10:59PM I see the expanded free space.  Am I OK to start moving data to it or should I wait?

Apr 04, 2021 10:59:58 PM Volume: Resyncing started for Volume data.
Apr 04, 2021 10:59:58 PM Disk: Disk in channel 4 (Internal) changed state from RESYNC to ONLINE.
Apr 04, 2021 10:59:57 PM Volume: Volume data health changed from Degraded to Redundant.
Apr 04, 2021 10:59:56 PM Volume: Volume data is resynced.
Apr 04, 2021 01:00:38 AM Volume: Volume data is Degraded.
Apr 03, 2021 12:18:02 PM Volume: Resyncing started for Volume data.
Apr 03, 2021 12:17:51 PM Disk: Disk Model:WDC was added to Channel 4 of the head unit.
Apr 03, 2021 12:16:50 PM Volume: Volume data health changed from Redundant to Degraded.
Apr 03, 2021 12:16:43 PM Disk: was removed from Channel 4 of the head uni

Message 1 of 5
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Re: Free space after expansion

Those entries are a little concerning, looks like disk 4 is acting up.

We should check that out first.

I can take a look at the full logs if you like.

On the web admin page, go to "System" > "Logs" > click "Download logs".

This should download a zip file containing all the logs. You can then upload that zip file to Google Drive, Dropbox or similar and make a link which I can use to download it. PM me this link - don't post it publicly here.

Cheers

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@rn_enthusiast wrote:

Those entries are a little concerning, looks like disk 4 is acting up.

We should check that out first.

I'm not sure what you are seeing - it looks normal to me (since there are two RAID groups).  But it is prudent to check before loading more data.

@joe_schmo : on the original question...  While you can add data while the volume is resyncing, the total time will be slower.  Usually it is fastest overall to wait until the resync completes.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

I'm not sure what you are seeing - it looks normal to me (since there are two RAID groups).  

It would certainly be useful if the log would show which RAID group is re-syncing.  Others have also asked questions regarding the second (or more) sync for a multi-group volume because the log does not explain why there is more than one sync.

Alternately, don't report completion of any sync until all groups are complete.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

I'm not sure what you are seeing - it looks normal to me (since there are two RAID groups).  

It would certainly be useful if the log would show which RAID group is re-syncing.  Others have also asked questions regarding the second (or more) sync for a multi-group volume because the log does not explain why there is more than one sync.

Alternately, don't report completion of any sync until all groups are complete.

I agree this would be better.  Also the on-screen messages often cause similar confusion.  People really do need to know when the process is fully completed.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements