× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Frontview Users and Share permissions

beaumonr
Aspirant

Frontview Users and Share permissions

Hi,

I'm having a nightmare with share and file permissions and wondered if someone can help.

Its a very simple set up, home network with a 2 ReadyNas Ultra 2's, they are main and back up using Rsynch. All working fine.

I have two users... me and the wife. we have each have a Home share and there are joint shares for Photos, Videos Music.   We access these shares via Windows 10 laptops, an Iphone and and Android phone. We have been using this set up without many problems for a few years but recently have some permissions denied problems on folders where we both copy our photos from our phones.   

Both users are in the group users and the default rights are Read / Write everywhere for the Share photos. 

Share default access: Read/Write

On advanced options for the share permissions as follows

Share Folder Owner: nobody

Share Folder Group: users

Share folder owner rights: Read/Write

Share Folder GRoup rights: Read / Write

Share Folder Everyone Rights: Read/Write

On CIFS permissions

Advanced CIFS permissions

I've clicked 

Automatically set permissions on new files and folders.

and Group Rights and Everyone Rights are both Read/Write

"New folder created"    both have Group Rights and Everyone Rights are both Read/Write

I actually want everything available to both of us from all machines......

I've tried various settings of the above but cannot seem to get the permissions correct.

If I am connected to the NetgearNas with my username I can create a folder and write to it. My wife can see it and read the files but cannot write to it and vice versa

If I use the Advanced Options and the check box to "Set Ownership for exiting files and folders tothe above settings" the situation is resolved for exiting folders but as  soon as a new one is created I am back to the same old problem.

Its driving me round the twist as I know its a simple setting but I just can't seem to get it 

many thanks

Rob

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@beaumonr wrote:

But surely it's not the underlying Linux system that's the problem it's the Front view implementation of the permissions functionality.

Frontview is using a freeware package called SAMBA for the network shares (as do all linux NAS)..  Managing file attributes generally is a bit tricky, because Windows file permissions don't map directly to Linux file permissions.  

@beaumonr wrote:
but am I trapped with the legacy operating system or is there an upgrade path?

It is possible to convert one or both or your Ultras to OS-6.  Netgear doesn't support that setup, so you would be on your own (meaning that you wouldn't be able to use paid Netgear support after the conversion). 

Many people here have done it, and generally they seem happy with the results.  Personally I've left my Pro-6 running OS 4 - it's only used for back-up now.  But the next time I need to expand it's storage, I'll convert to OS 6.

I'm also a home user, but since we use a single NAS user account, I wouldn't run into your problem.  I've seen the ownership/permissions issue come up here from time to time with OS 6, but not nearly as often as it shows up with OS 4.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @beaumonr , as you currently have

"Share Folder Owner: nobody"

please try with

"Share Folder Owner: users".

Kind regards

Message 2 of 11
beaumonr
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that but unfortunately when I tried to apply the change Frontview said "users is not a valid owner"

Message 3 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sorry for misguiding you, @beaumonr , but it seems, that the folder owner can only be an individual and not a group. Verified that on my guineapig nas. Was worth a try. Anyone else with an idea to help solving this?

Kind regards

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@beaumonr wrote:

Advanced CIFS permissions

I've clicked 

Automatically set permissions on new files and folders.

Also check the box saying "Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this." and see if that helps.

Message 5 of 11
beaumonr
Aspirant

Hi, thanks...yes already got that checked unfortunately...but to no avail..

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I see that you both have home folders now (which are private).  Do you actually need that feature?  Or could you migrate the data in them to public shares?

If you don't need home folders, then a workaround is to just use the same NAS credentials in both PCs.

Message 7 of 11
beaumonr
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes I did think of that but I'm just a bit disappointed that what should be a standard requirement is proving to be troublesome. It's a basic feature of user accounts and folders surely it should be easy......I always feel let down by this type of technology where it doesn't "do what it says on the tin" without trial and error and workarounds...

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@beaumonr wrote:
I'm just a bit disappointed that what should be a standard requirement is proving to be troublesome. 

I agree it should just work (and that file permissions often misbehave, especially in the legacy NAS).

There are other issues with the home shares though - in particular they are hard to restore from a backup.  While they have a lot of value for enterprises, I think home users are better off not using them.

Message 9 of 11
beaumonr
Aspirant

Yeah it's crazy, like if you buy a washing machine but it doesn't like washing towels and you need to fiddle around with it if you ever want to wash one.

But surely it's not the underlying Linux system that's the problem it's the Front view implementation of the permissions functionality.

The drive bays do exactly what I want apart from this but am I trapped with the legacy operating system or is there an upgrade path?

Thanks

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@beaumonr wrote:

Frontview is using a freeware package called SAMBA for the network shares (as do all linux NAS)..  Managing file attributes generally is a bit tricky, because Windows file permissions don't map directly to Linux file permissions.  

@beaumonr wrote:
but am I trapped with the legacy operating system or is there an upgrade path?

It is possible to convert one or both or your Ultras to OS-6.  Netgear doesn't support that setup, so you would be on your own (meaning that you wouldn't be able to use paid Netgear support after the conversion). 

Many people here have done it, and generally they seem happy with the results.  Personally I've left my Pro-6 running OS 4 - it's only used for back-up now.  But the next time I need to expand it's storage, I'll convert to OS 6.

I'm also a home user, but since we use a single NAS user account, I wouldn't run into your problem.  I've seen the ownership/permissions issue come up here from time to time with OS 6, but not nearly as often as it shows up with OS 4.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements