× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Frontview bug, replace (upgrade) with previously used disk

Michael_Oz
Luminary

Frontview bug, replace (upgrade) with previously used disk

OS 6.7.4. RN316.

I'm upgradeing capacity and progressivly replacing disks & resync-ing.

The disk I just added, I had previously used via the ESATA for a backup.

When I added it, it showed up on the Volumes page as a seperate volume (ESATA_HDD_4). AS it should.

I then DESTROYED it. So it would be recognised as available for resync.

Thu Jul 13 2017 13:10:02	Volume: Resyncing started for Volume N316AR6.
Thu Jul 13 2017 13:09:52	Volume: Volume ESATA_HDD_4 was deleted from the system.
Thu Jul 13 2017 13:00:29	Disk: Disk Model:ST10000VN0004-1ZD101 Serial:ZA2157YT was added to Channel 6 of the head unit.
Thu Jul 13 2017 12:47:05	Volume: Volume N316AR6 health changed from Redundant to Degraded.
Thu Jul 13 2017 12:47:04	Disk: Disk Model:TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 Serial:242SATMGS was removed from Channel 6 of the head unit.

All good.

Except the Frontview display. It still shows ESATA_HDD_4, and its Setting menu still shows Balance & Destroy options, I image that could be bad.

volume after hdd insert.PNG

I tried refresh a few times.

ALSO, the N316AR6, does not reflect resync in progress, and hence doesn't show % & time left etc. (front panel on device does show %)

Ahhh, I clicked on the N316AR6 box, then refresh, display changed to just the original volume & resync details.

Perhaps Frontview could do a refresh...

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Frontview bug, replace (upgrade) with previously used disk

Does RAIDar give you the resync progress?

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I think you also need to format the drive for XRAID to use it, but I don't know why the destroyed volume still shows up.  Did you refresh the browser page?

Message 3 of 5
TeknoJnky
Hero

sometimes it takes a minute or 2 for a destroyed volume to be cleared and recognized as ready to use, probably depends on the processor and raid activity of your nas, background processes etc.

Message 4 of 5
Michael_Oz
Luminary

> Does RAIDar give you the resync progress?

Yes.

> I think you also need to format the drive for XRAID to use it

> sometimes it takes a minute or 2 for a destroyed volume to be cleared and recognized as ready to use

As soon as the destroy finished, the resync recognised it as available & started. From the logs above 10 seconds.

So the volume was definitely destroyed, yet still shown in Frontview.

> I don't know why the destroyed volume still shows up.  Did you refresh the browser page?

No. I clicked the Frontview (FV) refresh icon several times. I probably should have tried that.

From my "Ahhh" above, I think it was because the destroyed volume box was selected (blue), I presume FV refresh kept it as it was the 'live' GUI item, it wasn't until I clicked on the main volume box, de-selecting the destroyed one, FV refresh, then the destroyed one disappeared.

BTW, I had typed everything above the "Ahhh" before doing that action, it was quite some time since the destroy.

(If I had a test NAS, I would click on the Destry and Balance menu items still showing on the destroyed volumes settings icon)

So, I beleive FV needs to be smarter.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements