× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Frontview shows ReadyNAS NVX as dead, but everything works fine.

Frontview shows ReadyNAS NVX as dead, but everything works fine.

Hiya.

I have a ReadyNAS NVX with 4x 3TB Seagate disks. It has been chugging along for years without any issues.

After a power outage a few days ago, Frontview shows the volume as a yellow blinking light and the volume as "Dead. This volume is no longer available.". Also the log keeps emptying, only saving the last few entries. The UPS also shows as disconnected. If I want to reboot, I can't use Frontview. Only works with the power button.

Despite all that, accessing shares works normally and the users aren't noticing anything. The LCD show the volume as normal and the UPS as connected. The only thing reporting a problem is Frontview.

I've tried reinstalling the firmware in various ways, down to using the reset button and boot menu. Only the boot menu variant works, inasmuch as the LCD (and amazingly Frontview) tells me the firmware was updated. Or was it? The network settings remained the same so I have my doubts.

Any ideas on how to get Frontview working again?

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Starlionblue3 wrote:

Not a huge amount but some. Can I delete everything in tmp and var/log?...

You should be able to delete everything in /tmp.  Not so sure about /var/log.  Some of those files are probably open (in which case the system won't let you delete them).  I think the others will likely be recreated.

I think there must be a folder that has a lot of extraneous files in it - the trick is finding it.  If you ever used ReadyDLNA, also look in /var/cache/minidlna

find . -mindepth 1 -mount | wc -l

will count all the files in the current folder and its subfolders.

Try it in /var /usr /lib /etc ... and see if you can find the folder.

...Every delete seems to give me a measly 1 extra inode free...

Yes

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do you have ssh enabled?  If so you might want to check the fullness of the OS partition.

If not, start by trying to delete all the logs. DON'T try to download them.

Message 2 of 16

Thanks for your reply. I don't have SSH installed. How would I delete all logs without SSH installed?

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Frontview has a delete control on the log page.  The page for backup jobs also has a delete log control for each backup job.

My thinking here (completely speculative) is that something related to the power cut caused one or more logs to overrun.  If the OS partition gets too full, the NAS begins to act badly (and can eventually brick).

Another approach (if you are the original purchaser) is to open a support request at support.netgear.com.  There is a charge for per-incident support, but if you don't have ssh enabled already, that might be your best option.

Message 4 of 16

Thanks very much for your continued replies. Erased system log and all the backup logs, restarted but no change.

I've added ssh access but neither winscp nor putty allow me logon. They ask for the password but get no further. winscp says "Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (BASH is recommended)." Bash asks for the password but once I've pressed enter it quits abruptly. Any ideas on that?

On the bright side, the unit now actually reboots from Frontview and not just from the power button. Given that, I could command a volume scan on next boot but since it lists the volume as dead I don't know what damage that could do.

I can't open a ticket because the unit is too old for support.

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

You can ask for per-incident support.

The log on for putty is "root", the password is the NAS admin password.

I suggest backing up all the user data while the NAS is running.

Message 6 of 16

Thanks. I was using "admin" as username. Still not quite awake...

Anyway I'm in via SSH now. My backup is current. What next?

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Start with entering

df . -h

df . -i

and post the results.

Message 8 of 16

Here you go. I guess that 100% is not ideal

Atlas:~# df . -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 4.0G 1.2G 2.6G 32% /

Atlas:~# df . -i

Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/md0 65536 65536 0 100% /

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Starlionblue3 wrote:

Here you go. I guess that 100% is not ideal...

Atlas:~# df . -i

/dev/md0 65536 65536 0 100% /

Correct.  My system has 23% of the inodes used.  You have space for data, but not for the metadata.

So we need to delete a bunch of files (most likely log files).   Are you seeing a lot of files in /var/log or /tmp ?

The other option of course is to do a factory reset, and then rebuild the NAS/restore the data.

Message 10 of 16

Not a huge amount but some. Can I delete everything in tmp and var/log? Every delete seems to give me a measly 1 extra inode free...

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Starlionblue3 wrote:

Not a huge amount but some. Can I delete everything in tmp and var/log?...

You should be able to delete everything in /tmp.  Not so sure about /var/log.  Some of those files are probably open (in which case the system won't let you delete them).  I think the others will likely be recreated.

I think there must be a folder that has a lot of extraneous files in it - the trick is finding it.  If you ever used ReadyDLNA, also look in /var/cache/minidlna

find . -mindepth 1 -mount | wc -l

will count all the files in the current folder and its subfolders.

Try it in /var /usr /lib /etc ... and see if you can find the folder.

...Every delete seems to give me a measly 1 extra inode free...

Yes

Message 12 of 16

See the results below. The problem is in var/cache/minidlna, and more specifically in var/cache/MiniDLNA as you said might be the case.

I have a folder called "ImagesByName" that contains a large amount of picture files. Seems MiniDLNA is caching all these... I recently did a huge cleanup of these files and then had a program recreate them afresh. Which coincides with the time Frontview started misbehaving.

I changed what ReadyDLNA in Frontview scans to exclude this directory. The inode count immediately went way down, and reboot of the ReadyNAS has Frontview working correctly again. Whooo!

I can't thank you enough. Fantastic. 🙂

To be honest this kind of thing should at least generate an error message in Frontview. I imagine plenty of users use ReadyDLNA and have tons of files.

Before: 

Atlas:/var/cache/minidlna# find . -mindepth 1 -mount | wc -l
Atlas:/var/cache/minidlna/art_cache/c/Stuff/ImagesByName# find . -mindepth 1 -mount | wc -l

After:

Atlas:~# df -i
/dev/md0 65536 13970 51566 22% /

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad we found it.

There is an add-on you should install which will move the cache to the C volume.   That will prevent the problem from recurring.

Here are the add-ons to Toggle the ReadyDLNA CacheDir for x86 and SPARC:

Skywalker wrote:

x86: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/Toggle_ReadyDLNA_CacheDir_1.0-x86.bin
SPARC: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/4.1/Toggle_ReadyDLNA_CacheDir_1.0.bin

This is a "toggle", so if you install it a second time it will move the cache back.

Message 14 of 16

Only have 27% Inodes used after the rescan, so plenty of space, but did this anyway. 21% after the install. Thanks for that.

I'm getting the impression that the ReadyNAS shares respond much faster now, with much quicker folder listings in Windows Explorer. Is that a probable side effect?

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Starlionblue3 wrote:

I'm getting the impression that the ReadyNAS shares respond much faster now, with much quicker folder listings in Windows Explorer. Is that a probable side effect?

It seems likely that there would be performance degradation. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements