× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GPL Kernel Source for 6.6.1 Missing

powareverb
Star

GPL Kernel Source for 6.6.1 Missing

Hey guys,

I notice this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/6-6-0-Source-for-Kernel-Compile/m-p/1181799#M12...

And I'm assuming it's got the correct kernel in it.  However, all your old links point at this page:

http://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-Open-Source-Code-for-Programmers-GPL

Can you please update this to have the new code available?

Also, any particular reason why you don't have at least just the kernel available on github?  Would make it much faster for yourselves to push updates, and for others to be able to grab the latest.  I note you have an org set up:

https://github.com/ReadyNAS

If you're not going to put it up, do you have any objection to me putting it up somewhere?

Cheers

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 11
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi powareverb,

Let me inquire about your suggestions.

Regards,

Message 2 of 11
Vunix
Aspirant

Good morning,

Has any progress been made on this topic so far? I am also desperately looking forward to the ReadyNAS OS 6.6.1 GPL source. I would like to recompile additional kernel modules for my READYNAS 102, but using the source of version 6.6.0 leads to version incompatability.

Many thanks,
Viktor
Message 3 of 11
Vunix
Aspirant

Through some trial-and-errror, I found that the source archive for V6.6.1 is present on the GPL source server, but was just not listed on this page: https://kb.netgear.com/2649/NETGEAR-Open-Source-Code-for-Programmers-GPL. 

Trough this link, the source for ReadyNAS OS 6.6.1 can be obtained:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GPL/ReadyNASOS_V6.6.1_WW_src.zip

Can the link be added to the aforementioned page? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Viktor

Message 4 of 11
powareverb
Star

Hey Vunix,

Sorry, yes, I could have saved you some time there as I had same issue and found the same fix.

Roll on another update and here's hoping there's an updated GPL source each time.

Gav

Message 5 of 11
powareverb
Star

@FramerV any news on getting at least the kernel up on e.g. github/gitlab/bitbucket for this?

I like to keep up to date with the great work you're doing, which means running firmware updates.

But each time I need to update kernel modules, and such things.  Which means hunting down kernel GPL packages, redownloading 2GB and recompiling.

The Kernel is GPL anyway, so not really seeing any issue for it being put up in Git somewhere.

If you had a kernel repo which was tagged per release, could just:

git pull

git checkout readynasos-6.7.1 #insert ReadyNAS OS version here

sudo cp arch/x86/configs/readynas_defconfig .config

#Run any module tweaks here

sudo make clean

sudo make ARCH=x86_64

sudo make modules_install ARCH=x86_64

Job done.  As an aside, is there a file somewhere that specifies the ReadyNAS OS version (e.g. 6.7.1 in this example)? Similar to e.g. results fom uname?

Gav

Message 6 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@powareverb wrote:

#Run any module tweaks here

sudo make clean

sudo make ARCH=x86_64

sudo make modules_install ARCH=x86_64

What are the modules you need?  Perhaps we could consider adding them to the linux-image-extra package that we release for each firmware.

As an aside, is there a file somewhere that specifies the ReadyNAS OS version (e.g. 6.7.1 in this example)? Similar to e.g. results fom uname?

You can check /etc/os-release or /etc/os_version.

Message 7 of 11
powareverb
Star

Hey @Skywalker

@Skywalker wrote:

What are the modules you need?  Perhaps we could consider adding them to the linux-image-extra package that we release for each firmware.

The key one I'm missing now is VXLAN, you now have VETH as a module in the package you mentioned.  I vaguely recall VXLAN needs other kernel config prerequisites (glue), which you may not have added yet.  Would mean that supplying this as a module would probably have to wait on having these prereqs compiled into / configured for kernel.

Packaging these modules as you have is awesome, btw.  Are you going to be building this for every release from now on? I remember a few times previously that this package was unavailable/broken.  That's most of the reason I've been compiling these from scratch each upgrade.

@Skywalker wrote:

You can check /etc/os-release or /etc/os_version.

/etc/os_version was what I was after.

Out of interest, is there any particular reason you're not putting the kernel up somewhere anyway? 

Message 8 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, we will release an accompanying linux-image-extra package for every firmware release.  The VXLAN module (and requisite UDP tunnel module) will be included in linux-image-extra along with the 6.8.0 release.

Message 9 of 11
powareverb
Star

Great news @Skywalker

My primary reason for these kernel modules is looking at feasability of running Docker on the NAS.

After going over in detail, here's the full list that would be good:

CONFIG_VXLAN
CONFIG_IPVLAN
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_IPVS

The first one you've mentioned you're keen to add already.

If you're interested, the discussion is on Idea Exchange here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/Support-Docker-on-ReadyNAS-OS-6/

In particular these modules/kconfig flags are mentioned in the script mentioned in the thread:

check-config.sh

Once these configs and VXLAN is in, means users can install docker and run the NAS as part of a Swarm (potentially between multiple NASs on same site, or other servers).

Message 10 of 11
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Got it, thanks for the details.  The next 6.8.0 Beta release will have all of the mentioned kernel modules in the associated linux-image-extra package, as well as seccomp and a few more cgroup options.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements