× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GlobalSan iSCSI 4.1 Support?

Jedi_Knight
Tutor

I had email them personally before using personal email. but I haven't heard anything regarding about any of the bug fixes or update from SNS.

I had also gave this info to appropriate personnel at NETGEAR to see if we can get something going on with them.

Thanks for the post.
Message 26 of 42
mrwiggles
Aspirant

Jedi,

Do the Netgear guys have any updates on where we are with SNS/Netgear certifying the 4.1 release with the ReadyNAS? It's been over a month since the last post on this subject and I MUST STILL MANUALLY connect to my Pro Business to mount iSCSI volumes, etc. etc.

I'm pretty mystified as to why there is no solution forthcoming from both companies. It would be fantastic customer support for Netgear to actually close the loop on this issue and give it's mac customers so sense that iSCSI is not an afterthought.

Still frustrated, but also hopeful,
-Michael
Message 27 of 42
nfarring
Aspirant

I installed the GlobalSAN iSCSI initiator 4.1 beta on Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 64-bit. I was able to open a 500GB iSCSI drive on the ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition. Then I copied over about 20GB of data. Then the connection was idle. Then the connection died. It died in such a way that I cannot either connect or disconnect using the GlobalSAN interface in the System Preferences panel. It looks like I need to reboot to access the iSCSI disk.

It would seem that the $200 ATTO iSCSI initiator is the only solution for Mac OS X Snow Leopard 64-bit at the moment.

I did a performance test using dd: dd if=/dev/zero of=data bs=4096 count=1000000
ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition w/ 6 consumer-grade 1.5TB HDDs.
1GB connection via dumb switch with Jumbo frames disabled.
Writing to iSCSI disk (GlobalSAN iSCSI Initiator 4.1 Beta) formatted with HFS+ (Journaled): 77.25MB/s
Writing to AFP share: 64.80 MB/s
Writing to external USB 2.5" notebook HDD formatted with HFS+ (Journaled): 33.41 MB/s
Message 28 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Now that Global SAN 4.1 has been released (http://www.snsforums.com/index.php?showtopic=448) will we see support for it with the ReadyNAS any time soon?
Message 29 of 42
sphardy1
Apprentice

I took the plunge with the production release on my iMac (now running 64 bit kernel, so needed updated iSCSI drivers). Pleased to say it appears to be working just fine with my Aperture Vault.

Note, I am not using authentication on the volumes and I did have to set the iSCSI option "Always send Session Type when connecting". Other than figuring that - volumes mounted without issue. Tests are against my Ultra-4 (4.2.15) and the NV+ (4.1.7) running WhoCares? iSCSI addon

I'll report back if I get any issues after further testing
Message 30 of 42
nightstrm
Aspirant

I upgraded to 4.1 a few weeks ago now and have not had any problems with my iTunes or Aperture libraries stored on two separate targets once I enabled the "Always send Session Type when connecting" option.
Message 31 of 42
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Thanks for the update.. 🙂
Message 32 of 42
sphardy1
Apprentice

GlobalSan iSCSI 4.1 Support?

nightstrm wrote:
I upgraded to 4.1 a few weeks ago now and have not had any problems with my iTunes or Aperture libraries stored on two separate targets once I enabled the "Always send Session Type when connecting" option.

Yup - running for a month now. Has been rock solid
Message 33 of 42
snipes
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
nightstrm wrote:

What are your speeds like with 4.1? I just upgraded last night and it feels significantly slower. I need to rollback to v3 to take some readings but so far 4.1 does not really seem usable for me.
Message 34 of 42
sphardy1
Apprentice

snipes wrote:

What are your speeds like with 4.1? I just upgraded last night and it feels significantly slower. I need to rollback to v3 to take some readings but so far 4.1 does not really seem usable for me.

Haven't measured the speed either, but can't say I've noticed any slow down. That said I use the targets for archive data so the process runs in the background and I don't pay it any attention
Message 35 of 42
mattseattle
Aspirant

snipes wrote:
sphardy wrote:
nightstrm wrote:

I can say I noticed a huge slow down when I upgraded to 4.1. I tried transferring 5.0 gigs and it said half an hour. I downgraded back to 4.0 and it went back to transferring in a minute or two.
Message 36 of 42
nightstrm
Aspirant

snipes wrote:
sphardy wrote:
nightstrm wrote:

Now that you mention it, my speeds are lower than there were with the 3.x build I was using previously. Still works for my primary use (iTunes streaming to AppleTVs around the house), but definitely something that I hope gets addressed in future versions. We can only hope that SNS and Netgear are working together to provide a stable and efficient solution for us (or Apple decides to finally include an iSCSI Initiator in 10.7 Lion, although I've heard nothing from the betas to indicate this is coming).
Message 37 of 42
snipes
Aspirant

Well after some more testing I have rolled back to GlobalSAN 3.3.0.43.
I ran 4.1 for the last week or so but it has been unbearable. I had 4.2.15 firmware on my Pro, so I tried upgrading to 4.2.16 today but that didn't affect the speed.

Copying a large file (~30GB) from my internal SSD to an iSCSI share using GlobalSAN 4.1 I average around 3MB/s write speed. After uninstalling that and going back to GlobalSAN 3.3 I'm back to ~80MB/s write speed. While I was using GlobalSAN 4.1 I tried playing with the different levels of error correction and even disabled it but nothing really affected the speed.

So I'm back to 3.3. I hope 3.3 will continue to work with Lion when it comes out...
Message 38 of 42
nightstrm
Aspirant

Anyone know if the GlobalSan initiator is compatible with 10.7 Lion?
Message 39 of 42
ptaylor874
Tutor

I was running one of the 3.x releases (had trouble with the 4.x releases)... I upgraded to Lion and it was gone. I installed 4.1 and it seemed to install nicely and it appears to let me configure things, but I never get a mounted disk... I read that another company came out with one that supports Lions (ATTO?) but they sell it and it's not cheap.

Anyhow, GlobalSan 4.1 didn't work for me with Lion, but that could just be an issue with my system. I've not upgraded any of my other systems yet.
Message 40 of 42
Coldsnail
Aspirant

@ptaylor874. Unfortunately you may not be alone. After my Lion upgrade my iScsi no longer mounts.

It connects and is persistant, it just does not show up in Disk Utility.

Is this the same error you are getting?
Message 41 of 42
mrwiggles
Aspirant

Yes, it doesn't work on Lion and is another example of Netgear not taking the initiative to get a real iSCSI solution to market that is supported. I posted more on this here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=56203

Suffice to say that Netgear could DO MANY things to solve this problem if they wanted to. For example, they could approach either ATTO or SNS and agree to OEM a ReadyNAS specific version of either of these two companies software initiators. If they did this and sold it for $50, they would keep their customers happy. Given that it would be tied to the ReadyNAS products, it wouldn't undercut the main ATTO product significantly (which sells for $200).

Companies can afford to spend the $200 with ATTO, but for us non-professional users who must pay out of pocket, $200 is significant on top of the hefty price already paid for the ReadyNAS Pro.

-m
Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements