× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HDD hours

Platypus69
Luminary

HDD hours

With my Thecus NAS their web app allows you to see how many hours a particular HDD has been "spinning".

So that helps with determining when to replace HDDs, taking into account MTBF, for example. It's in the SMART info...

Is there any way to see that in the ReadyNAS web app?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Platypus69
Luminary

Re: HDD hours

Actually it is in the web app!

In the Performance tab, hover your mouse over the colored circle to the right of the disk, as you can see below:

Power-On.png

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

As far as S.M.A.R.T. goes, the closest parameter I know of is "Power on Hours" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. ). "Power On Hours" is how many hours the drive has been the power-on state (whether spinning or not).

It is available with the ReadyNAS.  The easiest way to see it with OS 6 is to download the log zip file.  It's in disk_info.log, volume.log, and smart_history.log.  It would be nice if there was an easy way to see the full set of S.M.A.R.T. stats from the web ui - OS 4 had that, but OS-6 doesn't.

Message 2 of 5
Platypus69
Luminary

In the Performance tab, hover your mouse over the colored circle to the right of the disk, as you can see below:

Power-On.png

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Platypus69 wrote:

So it is Smiley Happy

But it's not shown in the other two places where you can see SMART status (hovering over the disk on the volume tab, or clicking on the volume settings wheel and selecting "disks").  All of these should show the same information Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 5
Platypus69
Luminary

Agreed!!!

I checked those two other places first.

And then I remembered those circles in the Performance  tab.

It is not "intuitive".

Given that is is a NAS the "health" of the  HDDs , their "spinning time" and other metrics are paramount and should be highly visible.

It would be great if their was a Disk Health tab which had information about the disks there. Various error counts. Power-on Hours. Etc

Even better would be some warnings, saying you should replace the HDDs because you have exceeded the warranty by  200 days or the Power-On Hours are greater than the warranty period. Or at least give such stats.

The HDDs are on the HCL so Netgear should put the meta data about these HDDs into the webapp. Or at least give you that option.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements