× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HELP -- Can't ping interface that has static IP, It only works when using DHCP

PredatorVI
Tutor

HELP -- Can't ping interface that has static IP, It only works when using DHCP

My company was purchased and we have to re-ip our network and changed VLANs.  My 10Gbe links were bonded in an LACP group connected to a Juniper EX4550 (2 x stack) but I could not get the NAS to respond at all on that bonded interface. 

I removed the LAG on the switch and assigned each switch to the new vlan in access mode, deleted the Bond on the NAS and configured one interface on the NAS w/ Static IP.  I can not get the darned thing to communicate.

If I switch to DHCP, it gets an address and is pingable, but as soon as I switch back to a static IP, it won't respond.  What am I doing wrong?  I rebooted both switch and router (multiple times).

Thanks!

Model: RN422X124|ReadyNAS 4220 10Gbase-T (12x4TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: HELP -- Can't ping interface that has static IP, It only works when using DHCP

@PredatorVI wrote:

If I switch to DHCP, it gets an address and is pingable, but as soon as I switch back to a static IP, it won't respond. 

What firmware are you running?

Also, is reserving an address for the NAS in the DHCP server an option?

Message 2 of 5
PredatorVI
Tutor

Re: HELP -- Can't ping interface that has static IP, It only works when using DHCP

We are using 6.10.1 currently. I was going to update to 6.10.3 this weekend and hope it helps.

I'd prefer not to use DHCP reservations as we have such a small pool, but if that is the final option, then we might have to.  My gut feel is that something is left over from the previous VLAN configuration and it won't tag properly.  We can see the MAC address showing on the port so it seems like it's negotiated a link okay.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

RAIDar might help you troubleshoot - in particular, if Layer 2 is working ok, then it should be able to discover the NAS and get the IP address of (since it uses ethernet broadcast to communicate with the NAS).  If the NAS isn't applying the right VLAN tag, then I think RAIDar discovery ought to fail (though I've never tried that). That of course assumes you put the PC running RAIDar on the same VLAN.

Also, you could try removing the disks (labeling by slot), and do a factory install with only one (spare) disk installed.  If that behaves correctly, then it would confirm your theory that there is something left over in the configuration that is causing the problem.  If that turns out to be the case, then an OS reinstall might be worth a try.  Of course a factory default would solve it in that case too, but that would be pretty painful.

Message 4 of 5
PredatorVI
Tutor

So I have a config working but in a round-about way.  I was using an access mode port on the swtich set to the vlan and assigning the IP on physical adapter with no luck, even after the upgrade to 6.10.3.

I ended up switching to trunk mode on the switch, disabling IPv4/6 on the physical NAS adapters and adding a VLAN adapter on the NAS and the static IP worked fine.

So I guess I'm in business.  One note for others, if I try to set the MTU on the VLAN adapter to use jumbo frames, it gave a very cryptic error.  The Google searches I did were no help.  It took me a bit to realize I need to set the MTU on the physical adapter to at least the same value (possibly higher/didn't check) as the VLAN adapter.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements