× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HELP ME PLEASE!! attempted a Boot menu OS Reinstall following tutorial but have now lost ALL sha

xlr8r
Guide

HELP ME PLEASE!! attempted a Boot menu OS Reinstall following tutorial but have now lost ALL shares!

Oh my !! someone please help....

in an attempt to reset the admin password I followed a "Boot Menu OS Reinstall tuitorial" which was only supposed to let me access the boot menu , has done something (like a reset) and ive lost all my shares 10TB of valuable data and family archvies!!!

can anyone help me please ???

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: HELP ME PLEASE!! attempted a Boot menu OS Reinstall following tutorial but have now lost ALL sha

Did you inadvertently do a Factory Default instead of an OS re-install?  Is your NAS still running the original RAIDiator 4.2.x, or did you upgrade to OS 6.x?  Do you have SSH enabled, and do you know how to use it?  Do you see no shares, or do you see empty ones?  A factory default would create new default shares, so seeing none is a good sign that didn't haooen.

Unfortunately, you are at a tricky point.  If you did do a Factory Default, then a recovery service can likely get back most of your data.  But, the more you mess around with it, the more of that data that likely becomes unrecoverable.  Since you have no backup, getting per incident support from Netgear is likely your best first step, and they can tell you if you are looking at data recovery (more money, and no guarantee) or if the data is there and recoverable (probably to an external USB drive you provide).

Message 2 of 4
xlr8r
Guide

ok, i got sorted , kinda

i found loads of CHUNK files in the 4GB OS Volume and after deleting them, i was back in action.

but the question remains, where are these "chunk" files coming from ? and how do i avoid a repeat performance of my NAS chucking another wobbler in the future ...?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@xlr8r wrote:

but the question remains, where are these "chunk" files coming from ? and how do i avoid a repeat performance of my NAS chucking another wobbler in the future ...?

I posted it here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Help-suddenly-cannot-access-admin-p...

I'm locking this thread, to simplify any further conversation on this.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements