× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HELP* whats your backup method?

bzach
Follower

HELP* whats your backup method?

Long story short -

I have a net gear readynas, i am using shadowprotect backing up to the nas, then trying to replicate from nas to harddrives which will then be taken off-site.

Now the monitoring, the replicating, the everything is just not working how i want it too. 

My question is:

What is an ideal method of backing up using a readynas for both onsite/offsite? What is everyone else doing? and are they having the same problems i am having?

*Note i'm in australia, so cloud solutions arent feasible due to our internet speeds.

Any direction or assistance would be great,

Thanks in adv.

tldr; what is an ideal setup for a readynas and backing up for onsite/offsite without using cloud?

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: HELP* whats your backup method?

I think rsync is the best backup protocol, though ReadyDR is another option if both NAS are x86 OS 6 models.  Replicate is disappearing (and ReadyNAS remote is also).  What model ReadyNAS to you have?

You can either

• run rsync-over-ssh, using DDNS to provide a URL for the remote NAS and using port-forwarding (of port 22) in your router(s).
  • Establish a VPN that connects the two locations, and just run rsync.  ZeroTier is one of several options there (they do have cloud servers, but the data is sent peer to peer, so the bandwidth usage is ok).  It's possible to install ZeroTier directly on an OS-6 NAS, but you can also install it on PCs at both locations, and bridge the connection to the NAS through those PCs.  The PCs would need to be running when you run the backup jobs of course.

FWIW, if you don't have the uplink speed needed to connect to a cloud server, then you will have a similar speed issue connecting over the internet to another ReadyNAS.  Unless your concern is related to using a cloud server that's not hosted in Australia.  What is your upload/download service?  Do you have any data caps in place?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements