× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hardware fault on ReadyNAS Duo RND2110 v1?

Hardware fault on ReadyNAS Duo RND2110 v1?

Hi All,

I have an RND2110 v1 (so determined by the underside label - I've ignored the "v2" bit there as discussed in other threads, and determine that it's a Duo v1 by the fact it doesn't say "v2" on the front panel).

The device is several years old, and hasn't been powered up for a couple of years.  I recently powered it up, and observed the following symptoms:-

• Constant blinking blue light - never stops;
  • Fan speed is mostly at full, dipping down briefly every few seconds.  So there's a constant whir, brief slow whir, whir, brief slow whir, etc seemingly forever;
  • Device never boots.  RAIDar 6.5 reports no storage detected.

This behaviour persists with either or both 1TB drives in (and I've been careful to ensure the correct drive is re-inserted in the correct slot, and they're not mis-ordered).

With no drives in, RAIDar detects the unit and reports no disks present.

I have attempted an OS re-install via this procedure:-

1. Press and hold reset button at the rear;
  2. Power on the unit;
  3. After approx 5 seconds and one flash of both disks, release the reset button.

All to no avail.

Suggestions welcome.

Regards,

A.

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I'd test both disks in a Windows PC using vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).  You can connect the disks either with SATA or with a USB adapter/dock.

Message 2 of 4

Follow-up info:-

The ReadyNas definitely appears to be faulty, as does one of its disks.  The suspect disk doesn't work in a USB enclosure, and the Duo chassis exhibits the problems I describe above with a known-to-be-good disk.

Anyway, the other Duo disk has been inserted into an enclosure, and I can read its contents on my Windows machine with DiskInternals Linux Reader.

Shame about the NAS chassis, but it's had its day in my setup here so it's not disasterous.

A.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@BarefootAndrew wrote:

and the Duo chassis exhibits the problems I describe above with a known-to-be-good disk.

It certainly could show something like that if the disk you inserted was already formatted (for instance as NTFS).

Try putting the working disk in by itself in slot 1, and then power up the NAS.  If that fails the same way, you could try the experiment again with the disk in slot 2.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements