× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Has a Windows 10 Update broken my shares? Test OK, backup fails.

MadEngineer
Aspirant

Has a Windows 10 Update broken my shares? Test OK, backup fails.

My backups are performed by the ReadyNAS device accessing remote shares on my desktop using the "remote: Windows/Nas (Timestamp)" option.  On my desktop I have a back up user created for this task and shares created for the folders to be backed up.

The error I'm getting is that the source cannot be mounted on the system.

This has been working perfectly up until maybe a week ago.  The test function for each back up job works.

I can only guess that a Windows Update has changed something?

When I perform a test, I can see a multple entries logged under Event Viewer for the backup user accessing the desktop however when running a backup there is no such entry.

System is running firmware 6.9.4 Hotfix 1

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Has a Windows 10 Update broken my shares? Test OK, backup fails.

Do you have another PC you can use to test access of the desktop network shares?

Message 2 of 5
doseas
Aspirant

A recent Windows Update has disabled SMBv1 on systems that had it enabled.  You can either re-enable it (a security risk, but necessary if your network has older devices incapable of using SMBv2 or SMBv3), or switch all devices to a newer version of SMB.

See this article for more info:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

But he shows a ReadyNAS 100 series, so SMB1 should not be the problem.  Many of us started having problems accessing the NAS via name after one of the updates.  So, if you are using the NAS name, try using the IP address instead.  There is no true solution I know of, though adding the NAS name to the Windows hosts file is a work-around if using the IP address does not suit your need.  Google is your friend for editing hosts.

Message 4 of 5
MadEngineer
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies.  Without any change I've logged back in to the ReadyNAS today and found that the backups have since run with no problem.  Nothing has changed overnight

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements