× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Have I lost my data this easily!?

Stirk
Aspirant

Have I lost my data this easily!?

I added a new disc to my NAS.  It was 2TB and the other disc were 3TB.  I got a message saying remove the inactive volume to see disc 2,3,4.  That seemed reasonable.  I removed the drive and now I cannot see any of my shares.

Um is there a way I can get them back?

NasNoob

(firmware 6.10.1)

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 13
Stirk
Aspirant

Re: Have I lost my data this easily!?

Not only the shares have gone.  I don't have a volumne on the nas at all...

Message 2 of 13
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Stirk,

You may download the NAS system logs so you can check what caused the issue. You can also send to me logs by uploading it to Google Drive, then PM me the download link. We will check what caused the issue.

Regards,

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You could also try rebooting the NAS in read-only mode, and see if the volume mounts.

Message 4 of 13
Stirk
Aspirant

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Hi Stirk,

You may download the NAS system logs so you can check what caused the issue. You can also send to me logs by uploading it to Google Drive, then PM me the download link. We will check what caused the issue.

Regards,

Thanks JohnCM_S that is very kind of you

Message 5 of 13
Stirk
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

You could also try rebooting the NAS in read-only mode, and see if the volume mounts.

Unfortunately rebooting in read-only mode didn't help.

Message 6 of 13
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Stirk,

There are not enough operational disks which caused the volume to go offline.

There are a lot of errors on disk 2. This disk should be replaced already.

Device:             sdc
Controller:         0
Channel:            1
Model:              WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0
Serial:            -

ATA Error Count:                0
  Reallocated Sectors:            529
  Reallocation Events:            315
  Spin Retry Count:               0
  Current Pending Sector Count:   689
  Uncorrectable Sector Count:     530

It seems that the disk in bay 3 was dying. On kernel.log, you had these errors on ata3:

Jun 05 22:57:19 stirlnas kernel: ata3: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x190002 action 0xe frozen
Jun 05 22:57:19 stirlnas kernel: ata3: irq_stat 0x80400000, PHY RDY changed
Jun 05 22:57:19 stirlnas kernel: ata3: SError: { RecovComm PHYRdyChg 10B8B Dispar }
Jun 05 22:57:19 stirlnas kernel: ata3: hard resetting link
Jun 05 22:57:20 stirlnas kernel: ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Jun 05 22:57:25 stirlnas kernel: ata3: hard resetting link
Jun 05 22:57:25 stirlnas kernel: ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Jun 05 22:57:25 stirlnas kernel: ata3: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
Jun 05 22:57:30 stirlnas kernel: ata3: hard resetting link
Jun 05 22:57:31 stirlnas kernel: ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 310)
Jun 05 22:57:31 stirlnas kernel: ata3.00: disabled

The disk might have been pulled or it died while the unit is on.

Then on Jun 05 22:57:54, disk 4 went down as well:

Jun 05 22:57:54 stirlnas kernel: ata4: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x190002 action 0xe frozen
Jun 05 22:57:54 stirlnas kernel: ata4: irq_stat 0x80400000, PHY RDY changed
Jun 05 22:57:54 stirlnas kernel: ata4: SError: { RecovComm PHYRdyChg 10B8B Dispar }
Jun 05 22:57:54 stirlnas kernel: ata4: hard resetting link
Jun 05 22:57:55 stirlnas kernel: ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Jun 05 22:58:00 stirlnas kernel: ata4: hard resetting link
Jun 05 22:58:00 stirlnas kernel: ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Jun 05 22:58:00 stirlnas kernel: ata4: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
Jun 05 22:58:05 stirlnas kernel: ata4: hard resetting link
Jun 05 22:58:05 stirlnas kernel: ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 310)
Jun 05 22:58:05 stirlnas kernel: ata4.00: disabled
Jun 05 22:58:05 stirlnas kernel: ata4: EH complete

Do you have a backup of your data? If not, it will be best that you contact NETGEAR support so they can assist you in recovering your data.

Message 7 of 13
Stirk
Aspirant

Thanks.  and yes I did pull all the disks.  All the 3 disks are recognised by the system.  I don't think a hardware issue is the biggest problem here (though disk 2 should be replaced sure) .  Unfortunately even with bay 1 emplty I am getting a message to remove inactive drives in order to use disks 2,3 and 4.

There is no recognised vulume in raid X.  What causes that?  I dont' want to make a new one as presumably it will wipe my data.

Anyone got any ideas?

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Stirk wrote:

Thanks.  and yes I did pull all the disks.  ...

I don't think a hardware issue is the biggest problem here (though disk 2 should be replaced sure) . 

I think the hardware errors likely did cause the problem.  I suspect a consequence of the sata errors mentioned above is that your volume is out of sync, so it can't be mounted.

Did you pull the disks with the system running????

@Stirk wrote:

I dont' want to make a new one as presumably it will wipe my data.

Correct.   So don't do that.

The safest approach is to use paid Netgear support via my.netgear.com.  They might be able to force your volume to mount.

If you are familiar with the linux CLI than you could attempt to mount the volume yourself and repair any BTRFS damage.  If you can connect the disks to a Windows PC you could also try ReclaiMe RAID recovery software. https://www.reclaime.com/

Message 9 of 13
Stirk
Aspirant

Thanks I guess contacting netgear support is my best option if I want to restore the files.  I'll probably will though the essential files are backed up (actually this was supposed to be the backup!)

I must admit I'm feeling disillusioned with my choice to use a NAS - I was only using it because of the redundancy and I *thought* generally higher resiliency of the system made it a suitable destination for backups.  But it seems the nas a lot of inherent weakness built in to it.  I probably would have been better off with a finding a nice case to put a stack of hard disks inside...(?) 

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Stirk wrote:

But it seems the nas a lot of inherent weakness built in to it.  I probably would have been better off with a finding a nice case to put a stack of hard disks inside...(?) 

All RAID systems can/will break down if there are issues with multiple disks.  

You do seem to be using desktop-class drives (the WD30EZRX shows up earlier).   Personally I recommend using NAS-purposed drives (WDC Red or Seagate Ironwolf) or Enterprise class drives. They tend to work out better than desktop models.  NAS-purposed are less expensive than enterprise (generally they are close to desktop drive prices), and probably are the right choice for an RN100 system.

Message 11 of 13
Stirk
Aspirant

Thanks, strangely enough I was trying to put an ironwolf disk in when the trouble started.

I was using these disks as years ago I went from external hard disks to a raid setup.

The nas reports the disks as fine.  What is the chance of multple disks failing at the same instance - when the worked fine for years? 

If I still had external hard drives I think it would be fine.  To me it appears that itis the raid operation that has broken not the disks.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Stirk wrote:

What is the chance of multple disks failing at the same instance - when the worked fine for years? 

You won't discover that sectors are bad until you try to read or write them.  So failures can be latent time bombs that aren't detected right away - especially if you have archival stuff on the NAS that's only rarely accessed. 

When you replace a disk, the RAID resync will read every sector on every remaining disk.   So it will uncover any latent issues.

I run the maintenance functions on the volume tab once each quarter.  In addition to the disk test, the volume scrub also serves as a good disk diagnostic because (like a resync) it accesses all the sectors in the data volume.  The scrub and the balance also do some checking of the btrfs file system.

In any event, your log definitely shows some failures on multiple disks.

@Stirk wrote:

If I still had external hard drives I think it would be fine. 

FWIW, one reason I back up to other NAS is that several years I discovered I had several USB drives that looked ok, but couldn't be read.

@Stirk wrote:

To me it appears that itis the raid operation that has broken not the disks.

If the volume is out of sync then it won't assemble.  That can happen if there were cached writes that never got written to one or more of the disks - and of course if there were disk errors when the writes were attempted.  In this case the logs suggest that failed disk writes broke the raid array.

There are ways to force it to assemble - it's one of several things that paid support can do for you.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements