× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help! RN426 FW update stuck: could not mount boot flash

msimswil2015
Tutor

Help! RN426 FW update stuck: could not mount boot flash

I have had this unit for a while. It has been fine.

Noticed there was a firmware update. Existing FW was 6.10.4 Hotfix (I think). Update is to 6.10.5.

Ran update through the admin UI. Rebooted. Now the LCD says "ERR: Could not mount boot flash" and the fans are running strong.

Cannot connect through RAIDar or the usual IP address. It does appear in RAIDar, however, with status TFTP_REQ and the updated 6.10.5 firmware. But no button to go to Admin Page.

I do have an 8TB external USB drive attached for backups, but I'd prefer not to reset and start over if it can be avoided. Any tips for things to try? I'll just leave it sitting there for the moment...

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The next thing to try is to power cycle it.

If the flash has actually failed, then you'll need a new NAS (hopefully not the case!).  So you might also want to check your warranty status (warranty is 5 years for a new purchase from an authorized reseller).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The next thing to try is to power cycle it.

If the flash has actually failed, then you'll need a new NAS (hopefully not the case!).  So you might also want to check your warranty status (warranty is 5 years for a new purchase from an authorized reseller).

Message 2 of 6
msimswil2015
Tutor

It's been so reliable for so long, I had forgotten how to switch it off!

Booting... updating FW...

Booting... 46% [] [] [] [] 

Booting... 94% [] [] [] [] []

Ahhh. It's working again. Thank you for the encouragement @StephenB 

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@msimswil2015 wrote:

Ahhh. It's working again. Thank you for the encouragement @StephenB 

Great.

There is a bug in 6.10.5 - some folks are experiencing a login loop when they try to access the admin web ui.  So you should definitely double-check that you can log in to that.

FWIW, I'm not experiencing this problem, so it's not affecting everybody.  But it has been quite painful for the folks who are.

Message 4 of 6
msimswil2015
Tutor

So you should definitely double-check that you can log in to that.

Thanks again. The UI seems fine for me too.

I discovered from logs that the scheduled backups over USB have been failing for a while. Not sure why. Running the job manually worked fine. Dodged a bullet today!

Message 5 of 6
bedlam1
Prodigy

There is a bug in 6.10.4 & 6.10.5 which affects rsync backups, I suggest you revert to 6.10.3, which worked for me

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements