× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help delete old user backups

guppy02
Guide

Help delete old user backups

Hi,

This is probably been asked before but i need an answer. I need to delete some old backups on my NAS. my nas is 75% capacity and my old PC backup is taking up all the space. When i try to delete these files in Windows it spends an age discovering the files then deletes each file, one by one which would take hours. Is there a way to to quickly delete these files? The only option i can think is to reset the NAS and format the drive which i would prefer not to have to do. I only have one single 1TB drive in my NAS

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

You can
(a) move the files you want to keep to a new share
(b) delete the old share
(c) rename the new share to match the original name of the old share. (match permissions and other settings also).

Deleting subfolders may also be quicker if you use the http://ip-of-nas/shares interface (which would require you to enable http sharing on the folder).
Message 2 of 6
guppy02
Guide

I want to delete them i tried B by logging into the NAS and deleting the share but when i logged in as admin and looked i could see the folder still. Obviously i cant do option C no more 😞

I left my PC deleting a folder that's 55gb but its taken 12 hours and only deleted a quarter of the files.
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I think I might have confused you. (a) (b) (c) were not separate options, They were process steps. That is, first move the files you want to keep to a new share, second delete the original share, and finally rename the new share to match the original share.

I am not sure why you are seeing the folder after you deleted the share. That should not be the case.
Message 4 of 6
guppy02
Guide

Well i thought Deleting the share on the admin page would delete the folder however it didn't. Ill have to do this the hard way and delete them manually
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking that the PC deletions are preventing the share from being deleted - that if the PC was not accessing the share, the deletion would have completed.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements