× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help for upgrade RNDP6310-200 - Bios and OS

lagule
Tutor

Help for upgrade RNDP6310-200 - Bios and OS

Hello everyone,
I am French and owner of an RNDP6310-200 with 6x3TB in X-RAID.
My bios is: 08/20/2008 FLAME6-MB V1.5
Is an update possible? Do you have functional links?
How to update this Bios?
I am also under RAIDar 4.2.31, can you tell me the links with the files and the update procedure for OS6?
Thank you for your help 🙂

Model: RNDP6310-200|ReadyNAS® Pro 6 3TB Unified Storage System
Message 1 of 9
karenlarson
Aspirant

Hey! 

I have the same issue, let me know if you find a solution

Regards,

Team smokekitchen.

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Message 3 of 9
lagule
Tutor

Link out:(

Message 4 of 9
lagule
Tutor

Sorry but my browser was involved!

Download is ok.

For the upgrade to OS6 do you have a link?
Thank you

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@lagule wrote:

For the upgrade to OS6 do you have a link?

If you do decide to convert the Pro, then you should increase the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Pro only has 1 GB.  It might work, but some here have run into out-of-memory crashes after the conversion.  The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do. 

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Optionally: Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

Message 6 of 9
lagule
Tutor

Salvation!
Back to the situation and a big thank you my friend!
Bios 2010 installed, Ram 3go installed and OS 6.10.5 which works perfectly.
Last question before the closing of the subject, do you know which processor I could install to gain in performance (especially for PLEX).
Thank you

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@lagule wrote:

Last question before the closing of the subject, do you know which processor I could install to gain in performance (especially for PLEX).

That's a better question for @Sandshark, so hopefully he will chime in.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

The fastest processor you can  install without running into heat issues is a Core2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz.  Assuming you still have the original Pentium Dual-Core E2160 @ 1.80GHz, you'll see quite an improvement.  And you can get them damn cheap on eBay.  The BIOS update you already made is a pre-requisite for going to the E7500 (stated here for anyone else who finds this and wants to do the same).  It doesn't, IMHO, provide enough boost over the Pentium Dual-Core E5300 @ 2.60GHz in the later (-200 part number) models to bother with replacement.  My experience is that a ProBE or Pro Pioneer upgraded in this manner is faster than any of the 300 series OS6 units and below unless you use SSDs (which the Pro can only use at SATA II speed).

Years ago, some experimented with quad-core processors, and they had heat issues because of the limited space for the CPU heat sink and fan.  Unless you are doing multiple stream transcoding, you shouldn't need that, anyway.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements