× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with Recovery on a NV+ RND4000

EldonV
Follower

Help with Recovery on a NV+ RND4000

Late last week I had my NAS lock up, and while a restart solved the issue, it happened again a few days after.  I'm currently using RAID5 with 4 disks, and after some investigation it appears that Drive 3 is failing (quickly growing smart errors)  Because of some earlier troubleshooting the system is also attemping to resync drive 4.

It seems to me that my failing drive 3 is causing stability issues, but I don't think I can pull it when the system is resyncing drive 4 (at least not without data loss)

The NAS was able to get back up to around 81% synced on drive 4, and i was hoping that it would be able to complete before I had any other issues.

Currently the system is now stuck on "booting" with the drive lights not coming up at all.  I've tried restarting the system with Skip volume check enabled, but it still hangs on "booting"

Any advice for my next steps?  I'd REALLY like to avoid data loss if possible.  (It's been a LONG time since my last full backup)

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Help with Recovery on a NV+ RND4000

You could try shutting down, and then clone disk 3.  Use a utility that supports block-by-block cloning.

This will result in some file corruption that can't be corrected by RAID.  So you will want to boot the system up using the option to skip the file check, and then let it resync.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements