× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with downloading from FTP

paulvk
Aspirant

Help with downloading from FTP

Hi,

I have a question about downloading from FTP via my Readynas Duo. When I google, I only find how to setup the readynas to acces files over FTP.

Just like it is possible to download torrents, I would like to download from a FTP server and store it automatically in a folder on my NAS. Can someone tell me how I should do this? Or is it even possible?

Cheers,
Paul
Message 1 of 9
paulvk
Aspirant

Re: Help with downloading from FTP

No one?
Message 2 of 9
JarnoG
Guide

My guess would be that if you can access files over FTP with your readynas, that's not much different from downloading them.

Aside from that, you can make a backup from a remote ftp server using the options in Frontview. I guess that's the easiest way to do it if you know the files/folders you want to go to since you can browse the folders of the remote FTP server. Using SSH you can probably also directly use the build-in FTP client to browse the folders and download stuff, but i've got no idea how that works..
Message 3 of 9
paulvk
Aspirant

I don't think that you know what I mean. I'll elaborate a bit more. With some friends I have a server placed at someone's home with a lot of movies and music on it. I want to download from that server via FTP to my readynas. Not to my laptop and then copy it to the nas.
Message 4 of 9
paulvk
Aspirant

I just found this topic:

uniquesil wrote:
Hi,

I have just purchased my first readynas product and it was because of reading info on these forums so thank you for that.

I currently have a semi-dedicated server with a bittorrent client for downloading my media, I would like to be able to download the files directly from my server to the readynas. Currently I am downloading them through filezilla (on my macbook) and choosing the readynas as the drive but the speed of download is much slower then if I download direct to my mac hard drive.
I don't want to use utorrent on the readynas as the dedicted server is hosted elsewhere and the speeds are much faster than my home broadband.
Is there an add-on that would allow me to download files direct from my server to the readynas? if so, which add-on program would you recommend. I am not very technical so an easy to use interface would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help.

I see that there is no direct solution, but I'll try the tips that are given there. Any other tips are welcome 🙂
Message 5 of 9
paulvk
Aspirant

Python is a little too complicated for me, I think.. 😞
Message 6 of 9
paulvk
Aspirant

For the recrord: everything works fine with python and pyload. Downloading from my ftp works full speed on my readynas. 🙂
Message 7 of 9
knorrhane
Aspirant

If you enable SSH on your ReadyNAS you can use the program ncftp which is already installed. I don't know how comfortable you are with using a terminal but it's fairly straightforward:

-Download and install the add-on enablerootssh from the add-ons page
-SSH to your ReadyNAS writing:
ssh root@readynas-ip
in the application terminal on your mac (password is the same as when accessing frontview)
-Type
ncftp
and the ftp client will start
-Type
open -u username -p password ip-to-ftp-server

-Navigate to where the file you want to download is and type
get the-filename-of-the-file

-The file will download to the folder you were when you first started ncftp

Now, the downside is that the ReadyNAS doesn't support the bgget command which allows a ncftp daemon to download in the background so you'll need to stay connected with the terminal until it's finished. I haven't managed to get the bgget command to work properly but maybe somebody else has?

Have fun!

NB! I'm not sure whether enabling SSH on your ReadyNAS renders your warranty void or not but better presume that it does.
Message 8 of 9
paulvk
Aspirant

Thanks for the tips, knorrhane, but I've already got it working with PyLoad. It works fine at the moment!
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements