× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home folders: getting "source and destination cannot be the same" even when they aren't

mcmnky
Aspirant

Home folders: getting "source and destination cannot be the same" even when they aren't

Hello,

I'm trying to create a backup job for the Home folders on a ReadyNAS 312 going to another NAS on my LAN. I'm getting the message "Source and destination cannot be the same. Code: 7003020008" even though the source is on the 312 where I'm creating the job and the destination is on a different NAS.

Running firmware 6.4.2.

I have other backup jobs for other shares on the 312 going to the same external NAS. These run without errors. But for the Home folders, I can't even create the job.

The backup source is "Home Folders"

The destination uses the Windows/NAS protocol. I configred the NAS IP and destination share. "Test connection" is successful.

When I click 'Finish' I get the error "Source and destination cannot be the same. Code: 7003020008" and the job isn't saved.

I have other jobs with the same configuration that are saved and run without errors. My ReadyNAS 312 is named "NAS01". For backups, on the other NAS I've created a share "NAS01" with folders for the different backups I want to run.

So I have a job with the NAS01 source "Share1" and the destination path "//[other nas IP]/NAS01/Share1". I have another job with source "Share2" and destination path "//[other nas IP]/NAS01/Share2" and so on. For the Home folders job the source is "Home Folders" (selected by browsing the NAS) and the destination path "//[other nas IP]/NAS01/Homes".

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 3
mcmnky
Aspirant

Re: Home folders: getting "source and destination cannot be the same" even when they aren'

OK, seems I was able to answer my own question.

When browsing for the source folder, rather than select "Home Folders" off of the top level (\nas01), I scrolled to the bottom of the tree--past data, media, USB/eSATA ports--and under Home Folders was the option "All Home Shares".

It looks like that is running without issue.

Though I still wonder about the error message. It doesn't match if the problem was with the source slected.

Message 2 of 3
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Home folders: getting "source and destination cannot be the same" even when they aren'

Hi mcmnky,

Thank you for sharing this to community.  I will further investigate and conduct my own test if there really is an issue or bug with this functionality. Also, I ensure that I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements