× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I stop NUT from trying to grab control of my UPS after reboot?

Sandshark
Sensei

How can I stop NUT from trying to grab control of my UPS after reboot?

I have an Eaton 5P 1500 UPS and run Eaton Intellegent Power Protector (IPP) on my NAS 516 instead of using the NUT included in ReadyNASOS.  IPP is much more powerful and much better in letting me share the UPS connected to the NAS with a PC that runs my surveillance system.  The PC instance ot IPP monitors the NAS instance of IPP for UPS status and shut-down commands.

Every time I re-boot (most recently to finally upgrade to 6.9.5) the NUT built into the OS trys to grab control of the UPS.  With both NUT and IPP trying to communicate with the UPS via USB, neither works.  I have to manually delete the UPS from the ReadyNAS Power configuration page, and then IPP starts working.  Once that's done, everything works till the next re-boot, when it is again added to the NAS power configuration page.

From the NUT installation instructions for standard Linux installations, this does not seem to be normal behavior for NUT -- a user typically has to create configuration files.  So, I assume this is something ReadyNASOS is "doing for me" (but really working against me).

So, how can I prevent this from occuring?  When I delete the UPS from the NAS, it zeros the content of  /etc/nut/ups.conf, but leaves the zero-length file,  and /etc/nut/nut.conf contains MODE=none.  I don't recall what nut.conf contained after the NAS "discovered" the UPS, but ups.conf contained the appropriate info for the Eaton UPS.  If I were to make these (and perhaps all the other .conf files in that directory) read-only, would it help or be worse when the NAS tried and failed to over-write them upon "discovering" the UPS at boot?  Is there something else I can do?

I tried connecting the UPS to the PC and then monitoring that from the NAS, since both are on continuously, but the NAS sometimes loses contact with the PC.  I don't know for sure which side is at fault, but it never appears to happen the other way around, as I currently have them.  Since my backup NASes don't seem to have a problem finding the RN516 instance of IPP when they boot, I suspect the PC side is the problem.  But whichever it is, making that change isn't an option.

I could put a network card in the UPS and have both monitor it directly, but that seems like an unnecessary expense.

I'm afraid to just try it and make the .conf files read-only for fear of locking up the NAS in mid-boot.  With about 25TB of data on it, I'd hate to have to factory default and restore the backup.

Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: How can I stop NUT from trying to grab control of my UPS after reboot?

Nobody can help?

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Could you possibly take one of your NAS down for bit - installing a scratch disk, and then try your read-only experiment on that?

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Making the files read-only doesn't do a thing.  It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't stop the NAS from overwriting the files on boot-up and re-establishing connection with the UPS.  Then, once IPP starts also trying to communicate, both fail.

Anybody have other thoughts?

Message 4 of 5
Hopchen
Prodigy

My pratical experience with UPS very limited 😞 I reckon maybe NTGR forums mods could help look at this?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements